Is it feasible for the next General Election to be held on same day as Locals & Euro's in May 2019?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
Is it feasible for the next General Election to be held on same day as Locals & Euro's in May 2019?

The 1989 General Election was held on the same day as the 1989 European Elections. Is there anything (unlikely I think) legally or more likely feasibly stopping the next General Election being held in May 2019 on the same day as the next Local and European Elections if Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin were to agree to stretch the election until then? Most people's heads will be wrecked if the GE is held close to the LE's and EE's so I think that FG and FF would be doing the public somewhat of a favour if they could draw the GE out after the Budget to the same day in May 2019 as the Locals and Euro's. The Government would also have lasted three years which is ok and the next one mightn't last as long. Having too many General Elections of course doesn't look good to investors.

ger12

I like to see a GE separate tbh.

Catalpast

My gut feeling is that Leo will go for a separate run at it

When is the Big question

But when your ahead stay ahead

Martin is unlikely to pull the plug with FF floundering

- and Leo has to only think of 2 words if he is thinking of calling 1

- Theresa May!:shock:

DJP

Website
Twitter
Normally I would prefer separate elections also but I wouldn't like and I don't think most of the public would like them held within a few weeks or months of one another. And when is the Presidential Election on?

Analyzer

No.

They are completely seperate processes.

And people migh confuse the Dail and the local authority votes - as both as effectively forms of local government, pot-hole fixing, medical cards, clientelism, etc...

DJP

Website
Twitter
No.

They are completely seperate processes.
They need not count the votes for all three at the same time. The Dáil seats should or would be counted first and then the following day or two they could do the Locals and Euro's.

JoanBRUTAL

Anything that lessens the amount of time we have to see their fat heads on an election poster would be a godsend , do them all at the same time , then film them fighting over lamp posts

midlander12

It's the obvious time to hold them as it would remove at least one extra date from the packed electoral calendar, and it would (hopefully) align the Dail, Euro and council election cycles. The mid-term locals and Euros have considerably destabilised govts in the past e.g. destroying the confidence of the FG/Lab govt in 2014 at a time when the current recovery was actually just starting, while an already spendthrift Ahern govt went completely bananas after a bad mid-term performance in 2004.

hollandia

The 1989 General Election was held on the same day as the 1989 European Elections. Is there anything (unlikely I think) legally or more likely feasibly stopping the next General Election being held in May 2019 on the same day as the next Local and European Elections if Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin were to agree to stretch the election until then? Most people's heads will be wrecked if the GE is held close to the LE's and EE's so I think that FG and FF would be doing the public somewhat of a favour if they could draw the GE out after the Budget to the same day in May 2019 as the Locals and Euro's. The Government would also have lasted three years which is ok and the next one mightn't last as long. Having too many General Elections of course doesn't look good to investors.
Not at this stage. There are minimum timeframes required.

PlanetBertie

Not only putting up with WW3 but endless Timmy Dooley defending Merican war machine using his Shannon airport.

Round tower

Would not agree with it, it would complicate the campaigns, u would be campaigning on 3 different elections with posters for 3 elections. People would get mixed up on what election and who they are voting for. Is their a referendum or 2 being proposed for next year or could a GE be held on the same day as the PE

statsman

The word on the political street is that the date of the next GE depends on the result of the referendum next month. If it's a Yes vote, Leo is expected to cut and run.

arsenal

The word on the political street is that the date of the next GE depends on the result of the referendum next month. If it's a Yes vote, Leo is expected to cut and run.
How credible is the source ? I agree you can see the jockeying for position for the election from all sides but unless FG do a deal with SF what's the point. I think fg will do well to get the 32/33% that they are polling at now and that will get them 60-64 seats. Even if FG were to have everything go according to plan and get 35% or so they will still probably fall short of 70 seats and with Labour,SD and greens unlikely to play ball they will need SF. I still think it is roughly 50/50 over whether ff or fg will be the largest party after the next election. Let FF collapse the show.

statsman

How credible is the source ? I agree you can see the jockeying for position for the election from all sides but unless FG do a deal with SF what's the point. I think fg will do well to get the 32/33% that they are polling at now and that will get them 60-64 seats. Even if FG were to have everything go according to plan and get 35% or so they will still probably fall short of 70 seats and with Labour,SD and greens unlikely to play ball they will need SF. I still think it is roughly 50/50 over whether ff or fg will be the largest party after the next election. Let FF collapse the show.
A local YFG figure.

And yes, a deal with SF is the logical outcome. But then I've been saying that for almost two years now.

Degeneration X

A local YFG figure.

And yes, a deal with SF is the logical outcome. But then I've been saying that for almost two years now.
Do you think he's a guy in the know?

Also did he say what margin of a hypothetical "Yes" victory would give Leo V the confidence to seek an election?

Degeneration X

Would not agree with it, it would complicate the campaigns, u would be campaigning on 3 different elections with posters for 3 elections. People would get mixed up on what election and who they are voting for. Is their a referendum or 2 being proposed for next year or could a GE be held on the same day as the PE
PE?

statsman

Do you think he's a guy in the know?

Also did he say what margin of a hypothetical "Yes" victory would give Leo V the confidence to seek an election?
Yes.

Not in figures, but 'easily carried' was the term used.

arsenal

Yes.

Not in figures, but 'easily carried' was the term used.
Would this yfg person be from a comfortable middle class south Dublin family?

Because I certainly don't see it being easily carried, at the moment I reckon it will pass with about 53% yes but would be really surprised if yes goes above 57%. I think it will be close and if there is a low turnout, particularly in Dublin it could very well fail.

Although it is interesting that RED C said 72% of people intended to vote in May whereas only 69% said they woul definitely vote at the next general election.

New Threads