• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is it harder to get out of RTE then into it.

BloggerBob

When you look the age profile of some of the RTE presenters does it beg the question of is it harder to get out then into it.
Larry Gogan, Bill O'Herlihy, Jimmy Magee, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy, Sean Og O'Ceallaghain eventually retired at 80+ as did Micheal O'Muirhearteag (don't reply if it is only to criticise name spelling). Ok some of them are contractors and freelancers but surely RTE don't have to pay for these outside presenters when there are perfectly able staffers.

cllr

Oh it's easy to get into RTE - just have the chance to get to Third level Education and be elected a USI Officer and hey presto you are in!!!!

The Field Marshal

Every single facet of RTE from radio to TV et als should be sold off and disposed of immediately.

There has never really been proper "public broadcasting" in this state .

That lying excuse has underpinned the profligate use of licence payers money almost since the state owned broadcastor embarked on their first left wing propoganda exercises.

Now that TV that as a general popular medium is dying the cash bound Irish state should dump the RTE albatross and her highly paid circus fleas.

skiii

When you 'retire' from R.T.E. you are soon forgotten but never,unfortunately,gone.

harshreality

Uncle Gaybo would have retired long ago if he did not keep losing all his money!

commonman

I dont pay a TV licence so i dont care about them, look at the money there on cut it in half.

Pudna

RTE is an embarassment to the nation, media students worldwide are being taught what can go wrong, with the use of RTE examples such as the Kevin Reynolds defamation and the presidential frontline behaviour. RTE have no respect for the Irish public.

Jack White

Did my ears deceive me this morning or was it actually Deirdre Purcell on R1... what a blast from the past.

Sure, it's an income I suppose, 'til the ''writer's block'' passes.

RTE is an organisation that is rotten to it's core. Scandalously for a Public Service broadcaster, it is instrumental in keeping the populace stupid.

Pudna

Did my ears deceive me this morning or was it actually Deirdre Purcell on R1... what a blast from the past.

Sure, it's an income I suppose, 'til the ''writer's block'' passes.

RTE is an organisation that is rotten to it's core. Scandalously for a Public Service broadcaster, it is instrumental in keeping the populace stupid.
Derek Davis was the only one to break free, and declare similar sentiments.

davoid

Oh it's easy to get into RTE - just have the chance to get to Third level Education and be elected a USI Officer and hey presto you are in!!!!
Having Mammy or Daddy working there has proven particularly effective as well.

davoid

When you look the age profile of some of the RTE presenters does it beg the question of is it harder to get out then into it.
Larry Gogan, Bill O'Herlihy, Jimmy Magee, Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy, Sean Og O'Ceallaghain eventually retired at 80+ as did Micheal O'Muirhearteag (don't reply if it is only to criticise name spelling). Ok some of them are contractors and freelancers but surely RTE don't have to pay for these outside presenters when there are perfectly able staffers.
Ah now, be fair blogger. I listened to 2 full hours of rte over the christmas and I swear I only heard greybo once.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Uncle Gaybo would have retired long ago if he did not keep losing all his money!
its funny that i remember gaybo promoting smoke alarms heavily on the lls years ago i was living in shared accomedation where one of the guys there kept leaving frying pans on and falling asleep after the pub so i went out and bought a smoke alarm made by gay byrne enterprises

True Republican

RTE is full of ageing pompous geriatrics that are well past their sell by date listening to Jimmy Magee at the London Olympics is a prime example.

iago1709

Sometimes though, I think it's not such a bad thing to let people stay on TV longer than the image above content crowd would like.
Case in point are the grey-haired panel of Dunphy, Brady and Giles who are a lot more entertaining and interesting to listen to than the younger and probably more telegenic but much blander commentary panels on the other channels.

Socratus O' Pericles

Even the "younger" people thereare over 35.