Is it medically wise to just hand out abortion pills?

ruserious

'Repeal' bus to distribute abortion pills in cities and colleges around Ireland

Rosa Ireland are set to hand out abortion pills to young women across Ireland.

Not looking at the abortion argument here, but I would have thought that taking something as body altering as an abortion pill should at least be monitored by a medical professional.

If one of these girls takes one of these pills, and develops sepsis after a botched abortion, who is responsible?

Surely preventative measures would be a better message to give to young people.

Will the state be taking action against Rosa Ireland for handing out abortion pills around colleges?

Clanrickard

It is utterly irresponsible but then when did the left/feminists care about responsibility.

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
I am not so sure of the utility in ranking things as "better message". Rather I think we should be sending out ALL the beneficial messages equally and to the best of our ability.

I think people should have the choice of abortion or abortive medication where required. I have yet to be shown an argument to the contrary that even approached coherence.

But I think it should be the last resort. We should be focusing on all kinds of prevention. Contraception should be better available, cheaper, and there is probably good argument as to why it should not be subject to VAT and so forth.

I also think there is strong argument for education on sexuality and sex. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWjaHWQ-00)

Better education. EARLIER education. More comprehensive. Yet perversely the people who generally seem to resist the idea of educating pre-teens on sex and sexuality in a comprehensive and holistic way..... are the same people who generally seem to oppose abortions of the pregnancies that result from that oversight.

And usually for the most naive and nonsense reasons like "protecting the innocence of children" as if sex education was in some way the antitheses of it.

So no there is no "better message" for me. Rather there is a HOST of good messages, all of which are useful and necessary.

I am all for Pro-Choice, but I am all for initiatives and moves that mean more and more people never require that choice.

Watcher2

This should only be done under medical supervision. If they don't have that on this bus, they should be locked up for breaking the law. This is criminal activity I would imagine. I'm sure the HPRA will be very interested in this.

Not looking at the abortion argument here, but I would have thought that taking something as body altering as an abortion pill should at least be monitored by a medical professional.

If one of these girls takes one of these pills, and develops sepsis after a botched abortion, who is responsible?

Will the state be taking action against Rosa Ireland for handing out abortion pills around colleges?
I'd say that it is generally irresponsible.

However, I think that you are possibly conflating the morning after pill with mediciation which can be used up to 7O days after conception. This is always given under medical supervision as it involves what is basically an induced miscarriage. Antibiotics are taken in conjunction with that medication. The medication involves, therefore, three different sets of treatment. It would clearly be reckless in the extreme to hand out anything of that nature.

The morning after pill works differently and is considered to be safe with minor side effects.

In general, though, I would never personally dole out medication unless I had full medical insurance to cover any negative outcomes. That would be personally reckless. I would imagine that they have had medical professionals involved in this decision, but where does liability lie? I doubt that a medic would sign off on any document which made them liable for the effects of medication on a person who wasn't their patient.

The pro-life brigade should be quietly arranging brigades of their female members to follow this tour and snap up as many as they can.

ruserious

However, I think that you are possibly conflating the morning after pill with mediciation which can be used up to 7O days after conception. This is always given under medical supervision as it involves what is basically an induced miscarriage. Antibiotics are taken in conjunction with that medication. The medication involves, therefore, three different sets of treatment. It would clearly be reckless in the extreme to hand out anything of that nature.

The morning after pill works differently and is considered to safe with minor side effects.

The pro-life brigade should be quietly arranging brigades of their female members to follow this tour and snap up as many as they can.
The article doesn't make it clear that the pills are of the morning after variety. I don't think you can call the morning after an abortion pill. If so, I may need to reasses some opinions of mine :oops:

DaveM

Simply put, Rosa will be responsible. On the assumption that these pills should only be administered by doctors and require medical supervision both during and after then that and that alone is how they should they should be administered. Giving out any type of medication inappropriately without adequate supervision is medical malfeasance.

DaveM

The morning after pill works differently and is considered to be safe with minor side effects.

In general, though, I would never personally dole out medication unless I had full medical insurance to cover any negative outcomes. That would be personally reckless. I would imagine that they have had medical professionals involved in this decision, but where does liability lie? I doubt that a medic would sign off on any document which made them liable for the effects of medication on a person who wasn't their patient.

Perhaps it is the morning after pill. Seems odd though driving a bus around the country giving out a pill that anyone can easily obtain from their local pharmacy.

Bubbleheaded

The article doesn't make clear what medication is being distributed. I would be of the opinion that it is irresponsible to give out any medication without medical supervision. Apparently they will have a medical professional on board, but I'm not sure what form, if any, and consultation will take.
I wonder if I traveled around on a bus giving out aspirin to anyone who looked like they might be at risk of a heart attack would the authorities turn a blind eye?

This group would be better off handing out contraception. A stitch in time and all that.

Simply put, Rosa will be responsible. On the assumption that these pills should only be administered by doctors and require medical supervision both during and after then that and that alone is how they should they should be administered. Giving out any type of medication inappropriately without adequate supervision is medical malfeasance.
I seriouly doubt that these are the pills which can be taken up to ten weeks after conception. That requires a course of anti-biotics and two other medicines administered. It *must* be the morning after pill.

You would appear to be correct about liability. It can only be ROSA's. I'm sure that they have had medical advisors, but I don't know of any doctor who would take responsibility for a medical outcome in someone who had never been their patient.

It's reckless behaviour by ROSA. It might be a judgment call by them, though. The morning after pill has only minor side-effects.

The article doesn't make it clear that the pills are of the morning after variety. I don't think you can call the morning after an abortion pill. If so, I may need to reasses some opinions of mine :oops:
There are some who view it as an abortifacient.

Bubbleheaded

Perhaps it is the morning after pill. Seems odd though driving a bus around the country giving out a pill that anyone can easily obtain from their local pharmacy.
Presumably it is more about ideology and appearance than practicality. I wonder will they also give out folic acid to those who may not want to avail of the pill after a consultation?

ruserious

I seriouly doubt that these are the pills which can be taken up to ten weeks after conception. That requires a course of anti-biotics and two other medicines administered. It *must* be the morning after pill.

You would appear to be correct about liability. It can only be ROSA's. I'm sure that they have had medical advisors, but I don't know of any doctor who would take responsibility for a medical outcome in someone who had never been their patient.

It's reckless behaviour by ROSA. It might be a judgment call by them, though. The morning after pill has only minor side-effects.
You can't really call the morning after pill, an abortion pill. Am I wrong in thinking it is still classed as preventative medicine? Delayed contraception etc.

DaveM

What does giving out the morning after pill, which is freely available to anyone, do to further the campaign to repeal the 8th Amendment though? Something doesn't make sense.

Is that the case in Ireland now? I've lost touch with that topic. Can the morning after pill be bought - and without prescription?

DaveM

You can't really call the morning after pill, an abortion pill. Am I wrong in thinking it is still classed as preventative medicine? Delayed contraception etc.
It is. It would be illegal if it wasn't.

DaveM

Is that the case in Ireland now? I've lost touch with that topic. Can the morning after pill be bought - and without prescription?
Yes. No visit to the GP required anymore. Direct from the pharmacist. It's been that way for about 3 or 4 years I think.

ruserious

Yep. But there is a cost. An earful of nagging for not pulling out.

DaveM

Yep. But there is a cost. An earful of nagging for not pulling out.
Coitus interruptus? Isn't that the method that has SiL and his missus with 352 kids?

Yes. No visit to the GP required anymore. Direct from the pharmacist. It's been that way for about 3 or 4 years I think.
Thanks for that. Yup, this tour would appear to be not much more than grandstanding in that case. I guess, though, that there may be reluctance in some areas to advertise your need for one. The gossip mill might swing into action. That said, anyone seen walking into a pharmacy could be picking up some paracetemol. Anyone climbing onto this bus is not there for painkillers.

New Threads

Most Replies