Is it now incumbent on the Irish Government to create a White Paper on Irish Unity?

JimmyFoley

Crazy posts - you do not know what you are talking about.

Leinster House as a whole have already been working elements of a white paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper last August called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity'.

And yes, a reunified Ireland free from England's unwanted rule will make us all better off - and yes, Ireland can afford to reunify as a whole - the Irish Government says so.

Listen 25 minutes in.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6820573-a-leading-academic-suggests-significant-shift-in-the-population-here-are-we-now-on-the-countdown-to-a-new-ireland-alexkane221b-and-chrisadonnelly-discuss-bbcnolan

Read and learn.

http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_the_implementation_of_the_good_friday_agreement/reports/2017/2017-08-02_brexit-and-the-future-of-ireland-uniting-ireland-and-its-people-in-peace-and-prosperity_en.pdf
You do know that Mark Daly is a member of, eh, Fianna Fail, don't you?

Talk Back

You do know that Mark Daly is a member of, eh, Fianna Fail, don't you?
Stupid comment - which part of the following did you not understand???

Leinster House as a whole have already been working elements of a white paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper last August called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity'.

JimmyFoley

Stupid comment - which part of the following did you not understand???

This bit:

"....and yes, Ireland can afford to reunify as a whole - the Irish Government says so."

You do remember typing those words, don't ya? About 20 minutes ago like.

JimmyFoley

Go away - and read the report.
You didn't read the report. Or the summary of the report. Or what Peter Robinson actually said.

All you're doing is the usual SF shìte of picking a line or there, quoting it out of context, and, hey presto, it becomes fact.

Stop bullshìtting.

Talk Back

You didn't read the report. Or the summary of the report. Or what Peter Robinson actually said.

All you're doing is the usual SF shìte of picking a line or there, quoting it out of context, and, hey presto, it becomes fact.

Stop bullshìtting.
Idiot - I have nothing to do with SF or any other party.

Listen to the radio link and read the report and learn.

ScoobyDoo

Any referendum in the south, under almost any conditions, would pass easily. To that extent, what people in the South think is almost irrelevant.
That is not at all what polls suggest.

As soon as you mention tax going up Free Staters throw the idea out of the window.

What increase in tax per person do you think Free Staters would abide before a majority reject a UI?

Talk Back

That is not at all what polls suggest.

As soon as you mention tax going up Free Staters throw the idea out of the window.

What increase in tax per person do you think Free Staters would abide before a majority reject a UI?
I've never seen a poll that said that the majority of people would not vote for the reunification of our people, our country, and to end England's rule in Ireland.

JimmyFoley

Idiot - I have nothing to do with SF or any other party.

Listen to the radio link and read the report and learn.
You read it? Really? Ok. What did the report say about the deficit in NI? Go on; post exactly what it says....since you've read the report....:rolleyes:

JimmyFoley

I've never seen a poll that said that the majority of people would not vote for the reunification of our people, our country, and to end England's rule in Ireland.
You've never seen a poll that suggests people in the Rep. would vote against a UI if they would have to pay more tax? Seriously?

Socratus O' Pericles

I would agree with your sentiment, however, unlike the UK government we should be talking about plans B,C and D, while the UK government decides on what plan A actually is.

I'm of the opinion that those who want unity should keep their counsel until brexit has been seen to be the almighty omniclusterfúckingshambles that it undoubtedly is. The unfortunate side effect of this is that any number of people will suffer financially first.
Privately.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'd say they are as rare as hen's teeth right enough. But now is the time for calm, private, unemotional consideration & reflection.

JimmyFoley

Basically NI is a mess that can't even track it's own income and expenditure properly...

Aye. But I was asking the poster who said that the government of Ireland stated that it could afford a UI what the report he believes supports his assertion actually suggests about the deficit.

For some reason, I doubt he'll answer.

Snowflake on Fire

Aye. But I was asking the poster who said that the government of Ireland stated that it could afford a UI what the report he believes supports his assertion actually suggests about the deficit.

For some reason, I doubt he'll answer.
if you do actually read the report it states that there will be a period of hardship at the beginning while things are aligned. But a united economy would see a €8bn increase in revenue compared to the combined current revenue of both countries.

There are a fair few assumptions made of course, but it is a well structured report. But for an accurate one you would need the data that the UK treasury does not release.

Regardless, based on the report, it would be safe to assume a united economy would be better for both countries in the long run. Short term it would be tough.

Edit: I can see Belfast especially benefiting a lot from a united Ireland, going from a small satellite city of the UK to the 2nd largest in Ireland with great road, rail, port and air links would be a massive draw for businesses, coupled with Ireland's low tax rate and cheaper property in Belfast than Dublin.
It would be a massive boost for them, Derry would probably benefit in the same way.
How that trickles down to average Joe is another matter.

Socratus O' Pericles

If they could reunite Germany I'd say we could manage to reunite Ireland. It is a question of good will. Which is in short supply I'm sure you'll agree.

JimmyFoley

if you do actually read the report it states that there will be a period of hardship at the beginning while things are aligned. But a united economy would see a €8bn increase in revenue compared to the combined current revenue of both countries.

There are a fair few assumptions made of course, but it is a well structured report. But for an accurate one you would need the data that the UK treasury does not release.

Regardless, based on the report, it would be safe to assume a united economy would be better for both countries in the long run. Short term it would be tough.

Edit: I can see Belfast especially benefiting a lot from a united Ireland, going from a small satellite city of the UK to the 2nd largest in Ireland with great road, rail, port and air links would be a massive draw for businesses, coupled with Ireland's low tax rate and cheaper property in Belfast than Dublin.
It would be a massive boost for them, Derry would probably benefit in the same way.
How that trickles down to average Joe is another matter.
I did read the report. I had no choice! :(

I'm not saying that a UI wouldn't benefit everyone on this island in the long run etc etc; there are strong arguments you can make either way. My problem is when a poster comes on and boldly declares that the government of Ireland said that it could afford it!

First of all, the government hasn't said anything; secondly, such a claim fails to deal with what the report states about the deficit, i.e. fails to mention who would pick up the tab!

ON THE ONE ROAD

Do you mean OK as in "not in contravention of the GFA" or OK as in "not counterproductive to achieving the most bleeding obvious long-term aspiration on the island of Ireland"?

Because they're two very different sorts of OK.
Both. It is legitimate to have assembly in favour of it, it is legitimate to speak in favour of it, it is legitimate to discuss what it may look like.
If it needs to be said it is also legitimate to do the opposite in each case.
It is not legitimate by the terms of the gfa to use guns to force it into existence.

If it is a bleeding obvious long term aspiration of the island, if it is the realm of possibility then the rational thing to do is start preparing for it. Those plans may never need to be used but it is a better position to be in to have them then not in the event.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Whilst the UK Govt. are slitting their own throat ( with boastful pride), tactically the wise thing is to remain silent and unobtrusive and try to avoid the blood spatter
If the UK are being as reckless as is stated, port of Dover shutting down, that state running out of medicines then this state has a humanitarian crisis on its door step. The state may need to show that at the least it is prepared for rapidly changing but predicted situations.

JimmyFoley

I have no problem in principle with people in the Rep planning or discussing or putting forward ideas about a UI. And I couldn't give a bollix if that 'offends' unionists.

My problem is that it would be a waste of time, money, and effort. There are simply too many unknowns at this point.

It would be like someone in his 40s planning his retirement party.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies