Is it now incumbent on the Irish Government to create a White Paper on Irish Unity?

hollandia

Old news?! It's 3 weeks old. 3 weeks.

I'm sure you'll accept the finding of the poll that suits your outlook. Confirmation bias in all its glory.
Yes and lucid talk is one week. One week. Do try and keep up.

ON THE ONE ROAD

I have no problem in principle with people in the Rep planning or discussing or putting forward ideas about a UI. And I couldn't give a bollix if that 'offends' unionists.

My problem is that it would be a waste of time, money, and effort. There are simply too many unknowns at this point.

It would be like someone in his 40s planning his retirement party.
If they were thinking past the party would that be folly

CatullusV

I have no problem in principle with people in the Rep planning or discussing or putting forward ideas about a UI. And I couldn't give a bollix if that 'offends' unionists.

My problem is that it would be a waste of time, money, and effort. There are simply too many unknowns at this point.

It would be like someone in his 40s planning his retirement party.
Every prudent business will invest in contingency and continuity planning precisely because they do not like surprises. It's a sensible investment of effort and money.

JCR

No matter what side of the political debate you find yourself on with regards to Irish Unity; it is pretty obvious that the possibility of it happening are now more real than just a few short years ago.

Shifting demographics, Brexit and BBC Poll Results are just some of the reasons why Irish Unity has become a topical subject outside of traditional Northern Nationalist vox pop magazines.

A recent BBC poll found 42% of respondents would vote for unification.

Former First Minister of Northern Ireland, Peter Robinson, quite rightly came out to say that even if a border poll passed with the smallest of margins, there are no plans in place to bring it to a reality.
- He is quite right.

I think Varadkar visiting the Orange Museum is a good start. Unionists will be a cherished community within a United Ireland and it is a good thing to see the Irish government extend an olive branch.

But such public displays of friendship will not deliver a successful United Ireland.

For every reason above; I believe it is time that the Irish government start to recognise their role in securing a United Ireland as per the provisions of Bunreacht.

As a United Ireland is coming closer to being brought about by democratic means, it is now incumbent on the Irish government to lay the ground work, as it were.

This may include setting up a Department or assigning a Minister for Unification.
At the very least, it should include a detailed and all encompassing white paper setting out how it will be delivered in the event of a Yes to unity vote.

Failure to take aforementioned steps under the present climate will render claims to be a "United Ireland party" spurious.

-rus.
I don't think unionists would be fooled by such feigned sentiment. Nope, they will be sneered at as "west brits" and it will be made clear to them that many would prefer if they were not here. Many would probably enjoy the dark undertones associated with that. It would very likely be a case of put up or shut up.

Personally I don't like the idea that the Dail, which is often dysfunctional anyway had the added problem of sectarianism to deal with. Lets not fool ourselves.

JimmyFoley

Every prudent business will invest in contingency and continuity planning precisely because they do not like surprises. It's a sensible investment of effort and money.
Fine. Give me specifics of these plans. Not vague platitudes about uniting hearts and minds, or respecting all traditions etc....

CatullusV

Fine. Give me specifics of these plans. Not vague platitudes about uniting hearts and minds, or respecting all traditions etc....
I've mentioned considerations earlier in this thread. Add to those Health systems, economy, aligninglocal administration structures, managing the cultural gapsaligning road-signs and other critical infrastructure, dealing with social welfare recipients and others in receipt of benefits. The list goes on. The broad headings all need to be identified and analysed. In the event of reunification this will all need to be done. Why not lay at least the foundations?

Also, let me suggest what happens when you don't perform your planning: Brexit. The House of Lords committees to examine the impact of Brexit in over twenty specific areas were commissioned several months after the vote and didn't report until over a year later. See where that leads.

hollandia

Yeah, public opinion changed that much in 2 weeks. :roll:
No it didn't which was my point entirely, had you bothered your hole to understand what I'd typed. Troll away my friend, you'll be on ignore :)

Again :)

CatullusV

Because you can't lay foundations without knowing the specifics. It's all just speculation.
The heads of discussion can be laid down and preliminary assessments made. Some agreements would need to be in place before a vote of such magnitude. Again, I refer to brexit. Any vote or referendum would need massive preparation and quite a few certainties where they can be established.

JimmyFoley

The heads of discussion can be laid down and preliminary assessments made. Some agreements would need to be in place before a vote of such magnitude. Again, I refer to brexit. Any vote or referendum would need massive preparation and quite a few certainties where they can be established.
Ok. Take a specific subject. Education.

You tell me what the Primary School system in the Rep, never mind NI, will be like in 5 years time! Or 10 years. Or 25. Or whenever, if ever, unification takes place. What beyond vague platitudes are we supposed to put down on paper.

Same for health, housing, local government,....

ON THE ONE ROAD

Ok. Take a specific subject. Education.

You tell me what the Primary School system in the Rep, never mind NI, will be like in 5 years time! Or 10 years. Or 25. Or whenever, if ever, unification takes place. What beyond vague platitudes are we supposed to put down on paper.

Same for health, housing, local government,....

Nothing is agreed until the leaving cert geography question for 2028 is agreed.

Policy might be at the discretion of governments. Governments may have limitations placed on it by a constitution

New Threads

Most Replies