• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is it ok for a gaelscoil to change the names of the kids that attend?

D

Dylan2010

There is an amusing thread I came across Boards where a parent was complaining that the Gaelscoil keep referring her daughter in the Irish translation of her real name and the daughter is not happy about it . Is this acceptable? your name is your name and for instance you don't change it when you go abroad to the local French or German version of it.
I like the concept of a gaelscoil but is it a bit desperate to deploy tokenism at every turn?

ger12

There is an amusing thread I came across Boards where a parent was complaining that the Gaelscoil keep referring her daughter in the Irish translation of her real name and the daughter is not happy about it . Is this acceptable? your name is your name and for instance you don't change it when you go abroad to the local French or German version of it.
I like the concept of a gaelscoil but is it a bit desperate to deploy tokenism at every turn?
Emm, seems a bit odd that this lady would chose to send her child to a Gaelcsoil and then be unhappy that the child's name in Irish was used. Maybe the Gaelscoil "ethos" may not agree with her.

Tokenism? Com'on. You're not really serious are you?

P Ryan

A problem often occurs when someone had an anglo-norman or non gaelic name, the translation was often contrived and seemed 'makey-uppy'.

Rural

It happened to my Son and it wasn't even a Gaelscoil, it was a VEC school, I had to sort it with the teacher as she was putting her Irish version of my Son's name forward for certification. She argued and was very unreasonable, I asked her a few times if she was at the Christening. Crazy person, just because she was vice-Principal and taught Irish my Son (on her whim) had to be Padraig instead of Patrick.:rolleyes:

D

Dylan2010

Emm, seems a bit odd that this lady would chose to send her child to a Gaelcsoil and then be unhappy that the child's name in Irish was used. Maybe the Gaelscoil "ethos" may not agree with her.
it depends, sometimes you go with the balance of things, but firstly its the kid thats not happy with it, so is the kid not entitled to be called by their real name?

carruthers

Should Sean be called John in a non Gaelscoil? The gaelgoirs would go mental so they would!

Last edited:

Killerbank

We all can remember this kind of child abuse from our own school days. Your own name which is precious to you was changed by teachers at a whim to their idea of Gaelic version. This new name (my "slave name" as I came to think of it) was used by the school and teachers all through school years until my "release" at Leaving Cert. Decades later it still rankles. How dare they do this!

As far as Gaelgeoiri are concerned, they have always had fascist tendencies and re-engineering childrens' names to fit in with their deluded vision of a gaelic speaking Ireland would be par for their course. Do not allow them Report them to the Dept of Education. At least the current Minister for Education is a reasonable man.

ger12

It happened to my Son and it wasn't even a Gaelscoil, it was a VEC school, I had to sort it with the teacher as she was putting her Irish version of my Son's name forward for certification. She argued and was very unreasonable, I asked her a few times if she was at the Christening. Crazy person, just because she was vice-Principal and taught Irish my Son (on her whim) had to be Padraig instead of Patrick.:rolleyes:
That wasn't on. Good for you standing up to them.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
your name is your name and for instance you don't change it when you go abroad to the local French or German version of it.
On the other hand, I'm sure a Peter in France will simply end up being called Pierre, a William here will end up as a Willem in Germany etc.

P Ryan

On the other hand, I'm sure a Peter in France will simply end up being called Pierre, a William here will end up as a Willem in Germany etc.
lol there's already certain parts of Ireland that pronouce William as 'Willem'

D

Dylan2010

would it ever be right to change John to Hans for instance? youve picked the midest examples where its more of spelling difference

Rural

When I was in Primary school there was a book that the teachers used to translate names into Irish for the roll call, a new girl started called Gillian, the teacher looked it up and said that she thought that Gilllian was fine as the book said Gubby, the damage was done and said Gubby had some fights to stop the other girls calling her that.

fontenoy

So some lady sends young Evelyn Kelly to a Gaelscoil and then gets upset when she is on the school roster as Aibhilin Ní Ceallaigh, did she not understand that this is what happens in all Gaelscoileanna and is part of the ethos of the schools. Pedantic nonsense, I suppose she'll be complaining next that they are teaching her too much Irish. Gaelscoil is a choice and you are informed of the ethos of the schools before enrollment, she should have paid more attention.

rapparree

considering all gaelic surnames have been anglicised her 'real name' is the english translation of the original surname not vice versa