Is it time for Northern Ireland to emulate the UK by granting language rights?

Cai

I note that the old rules that only allowed Norman French & English to be spoken in Westminster are being relaxed & Welsh is increasingly being used there. Welsh was used in the Welsh Grand Commitee for the first time today.

MPs speak Welsh in parliamentary debate for first time - BBC News

Given that both Wales & Scotland have (totally uncontreversial) Language Acts, that Welsh is used routinely in the Welsh Assembly & councils all over Wales, is it not time that Northern Ireland got into line with the rest of the UK & treated the native Céltic language of the area with respect?

Sword of Gideon

I note that the old rules that only allowed Norman French & English to be spoken in Westminster are being relaxed & Welsh is increasingly being used there. Welsh was used in the Welsh Grand Commitee for the first time today.

Given that both Wales & Scotland have (totally uncontreversial) Language Acts, that Welsh is used routinely in the Welsh Assembly & councils all over Wales, is it not time that Northern Ireland got into line with the rest of the UK & treated the native Céltic language of the area with respect?
In that case why don't we close up Stormont for good.

between the bridges

Yes, just nat the load of ballix jobs for the lads crap that the shinners tried to peddle...

cricket

But, the only MP's who can caint as Gaeilge refuse to go there.

between the bridges

Don't you think that would be negated if it was legislated from Westminster?
Maybe, but if we are to get the sectarian carve up, up and running again some legislation and dosh will have to be thrown at Ulster Scots so both Sf/Ra and the Duppers can declare victory...

Cai

Maybe, but if we are to get the sectarian carve up, up and running again some legislation and dosh will have to be thrown at Ulster Scots so both Sf/Ra and the Duppers can declare victory...
Translators basically cost bugger all. My local council employs some on a full time basis. Folk who arrange public meetings employ some for about £30 an hour. Believe me, it's no big deal.

McSlaggart

As far as Nationalists are concerned this has already been agreed.

This is now a lose lose situation for Unionism. If the long term objective of unionism is to stay in the UK then their approach on this sort of issue is simply crazy.

between the bridges

Translators basically cost bugger all. My local council employs some on a full time basis. Folk who arrange public meetings employ some for about £30 an hour. Believe me, it's no big deal.
Moi'll translate Ullans for £25...

between the bridges

What's the problem then?
Check out SF/Ra's proposals, (designed to be opposed) which included a Kommissioner to prosecute anywan nat spaken Irish...

Spirit Of Newgrange

you can speak Irish , and i will reserve the right to answer you in klingon , or Elvish, or Eskimo.....for all the sense it will make to good communication.

how can the two sides in the North have a good vicious argument if they cannot communicate ?

the whole approach of SF to irish is a reminder of De Valera in the South. Just ram the language down everybody's throat, whether they like it or not.

Cai

Check out SF/Ra's proposals, (designed to be opposed) which included a Kommissioner to prosecute anywan nat spaken Irish...
Language commissioners don't prosecute people for not speaking a certain language - they uphold language right.

There's a Welsh language commissioner & her remit doesn't have any bearing on non Welsh speakers.

Cai

you can speak Irish , and i will reserve the right to answer you in klingon , or Elvish, or Eskimo.....for all the sense it will make to good communication.

how can the two sides in the North have a good vicious argument if they cannot communicate ?

the whole approach of SF to irish is a reminder of De Valera in the South. Just ram the language down everybody's throat, whether they like it or not.
In what way do they propose that?

AhNowStop

Oh that’s not a problem, you see everyone who can speak English can automatically speak & understand this thing called “Ulster Scots” ... you simply remove a few letters from the odd word ....”an spake wi a Ballymena accent hi” :?

AhNowStop

Language commissioners don't prosecute people for not speaking a certain language - they uphold language right.

There's a Welsh language commissioner & her remit doesn't have any bearing on non Welsh speakers.
Unfortunately truth & facts aren’t really relevant to bwigeys nonsensical utterings .....

New Threads

Most Replies