Is it time for Reform Catholicism? Mary Mac, St Mary's and Field Marshal the Lord Guthrie

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well you only have to look at the demise of the Turkish empire and the part the segregation away of women and their bureaucracy of eunuchs had to play in it to catch a glimpse of the Great Game inside the HQ of catholicism.

Inevitably and just as it was at the death of the old Turkish empire it all ended up meaning nothing to the general populace it purported to serve.

Whenever I hear of the latest catfight by the Tiber it always brings to mind the chord and the seraglio of old Turkey for me.

Kilbarry

Gay Teenage Suicide and Self-Harm AND the Cathoic Church

The following is from a discussion a year ago but there's an article in the Indo today by Sinead Moriarty entitled "Why We All Have To Be Vigilant as Young Self-Harming Becomes More Mainstream"
PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

On a number of occasions - including an interview with Gay Byrne - Mary McAleese has suggested that the Catholic Church teaching on homosexuality is one of the factors in the high suicide rate of gay teenagers. Has any Reform Jew made a similar suggestion about Jewish teaching or is it only "liberal" Catholics who can get away with this kind of thuggery?

I am not a member of Alcoholics Anonymous but over the decades I have friends who are/were members. I know that one of the chief tenets of the AA is that it is lethal for an alcoholic to blame others for his own behaviour. This is the case even when the alcoholic suffered from REAL injustice - maybe abusive parents or poverty or whatever. So our heroic former President is encouraging troubled young homosexuals to blame the Catholic Church for their problems. What effect does she think her advice is going to have on gay suicide rates. Does she actually believe her advice is going to DECREASE the suicide rate?

Mary McAleese is encouraging troubled teenagers to blame their problems on a FAKE grievance. I think her hatred of the traditional Church over-rides everything else - including her professed concern about gay suicide.
I think this was the interview with Gay Byrne that I recall:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_McAleese

In a radio interview discussing her book Quo Vadis? Collegiality in the Code of Canon Law on 28 September 2012, said she was concerned at the growing number of young men, and in particular young gay men, who take their own lives in Ireland. She said that when the research is broken down, it shows that young gay men are one of the most risk-prone groups in Ireland. McAleese said many of these young men will have gone to Catholic schools and they will have heard there their church's attitude to homosexuality. "They will have heard words like 'disorder', they may even have heard the word 'evil' used in relation to homosexual practice," she said. She went on to say "And when they make the discovery, and it is a discovery and not a decision, when they make the discovery, that they are gay, when they are 14, 15 or 16, an internal conflict of absolutely appalling proportions opens up". She said many young gay men are driven into a place that is "dark and bleak". McAleese said she met the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Charles John Brown, shortly after Easter to raise with him her concern about the growing number of suicides among young men in Ireland.

As I recall there was not a single intervention by Gaybo - such as a request for some proof. FOR EXAMPLE - how does the rate of gay teenage suicide in San Francisco compare to that in Ireland. Surely the former must have been decreasing continuously over the past 50 years - in line with increasing gay power? Surely it must be close to zero now? Or maybe not?

There is something repulsive about a "liberal" or "reform" Catholic who will make a claim like that without offering any kind of evidence.
According to Sinead Moriarty today:

....But as bad as it has become for hetero-sexual teenagers, it is a whole lot worse for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Ireland. The latest study of the LGBT community in Ireland has found that significant numbers of young people experience elevated levels of suicidal behaviour and self-harm, as well as worrying levels of severe stress, anxiety or depression.

Compared to the wider teenage population, gay teens are twice as likely to have self-harmed, three times more likely to have attempted suicide and four times more likely to have experienced anxiety or depression. Over half of all LGBT teens aged 14 to 18 in the study said they had self-harmed, while 70pc of this age group had seriously thought of ending their own life. ....

Not a word about the evil influence of the Catholic Church. And in fact the journalist suggests no solution at all - other than that parents should check for early signs of self-harm before the teenager goes too far.

Perhaps Mary McAleese could be asked for a comment?

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Changes on the college of cardinals have strengthened the most reactionary element of the Church namely the developing world especially Africa.

Kilbarry

Gay Teenage Suicide and Self-Harm AND the Cathoic Church [2]

According to Sinead Moriarty today [in the Irish Independent]:

....But as bad as it has become for hetero-sexual teenagers, it is a whole lot worse for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in Ireland. The latest study of the LGBT community in Ireland has found that significant numbers of young people experience elevated levels of suicidal behaviour and self-harm, as well as worrying levels of severe stress, anxiety or depression.

Compared to the wider teenage population, gay teens are twice as likely to have self-harmed, three times more likely to have attempted suicide and four times more likely to have experienced anxiety or depression. Over half of all LGBT teens aged 14 to 18 in the study said they had self-harmed, while 70pc of this age group had seriously thought of ending their own life. ....

Not a word about the evil influence of the Catholic Church. And in fact the journalist suggests no solution at all - other than that parents should check for early signs of self-harm before the teenager goes too far.

Perhaps Mary McAleese could be asked for a comment?
A few years ago there was an article in the Sunday Times about gay teenage suicide in the UK. I can't remember all details but it was hugely in excess of the "average" rate. I clearly recall that - as in the Indo article - there was not a word about he evil influence of the Catholic Church. The Sunday Times journalist DID quote some LGBT spokespersons who talked about "prejudice" but my recollection is that he didn't seem to think that that was enough to explain the vast discrepancy in suicide rates.

However let's look on the bright side. Sinead Moriarty does not try to blame the Catholic Church either. Are we now entering a period when this topic can be discussed rationally without idiot "liberal" prejudice? Because when Mary McAleese encouraged troubled gay teenagers to blame the Catholic Church for their problems, she did nothing to lower the rate of teenage suicide. Quite the contrary in fact!

Last edited:

Popular Threads

Most Replies