Is it time for Reform Catholicism? Mary Mac, St Mary's and Field Marshal the Lord Guthrie

benroe

We had a perfectly good reformation in the 16th Century ;)
I guess that depends on how you would define "good", the reformation just caused the first of many cracks in christianity.

ruserious

It's certainly time to remove any type of Religion from the State sphere.

ffc

Most priests seem to have an innate sadness about them, especially as they get older.

I'm sure most of them don't believe most of the teachings.

My father in law passed away a few months back and we, obvioulsy had the funeral in his local Catholic Church.

The priest was extraordinarily kind to us. His words at the mass, were very moving. He spoke not of certainty, not heaven or hell, but just of the mystery that life was. A sermon full of doubt and confusion, which is what most of us feel when we try to work out what the hell it is all about.

gerhard dengler

OK, maybe she should, I'm intrigued why someone like her would spend so much time on "canon law" and working for this college in London beside this former general of the SAS. She obviously likes a lot of the church's ethos; maybe it's the oppressed communal Belfast minority togetherness aspect.

I don't go to mass any more. The church has nice sentiments that are shared by every other religion. Other religions have members whose only involvement is in baptism, marriage and burial. I'm not impressed by the bling and claims to perform magic. I feel that many decent priests are in a sort of prison. The hypocrisy and criminality around some priests over child abuse since 1990 are completely nauseating, but were not the cause of my unbelief. Some of my elderly friends get a lot of comfort from belief and that's great.

Why does she speak out about the canon laws on contraception and being gay, when she must know that the church would rather split in two than change because a woman says they should? She must know about the misogyny.

At the same time her self-description omits her former presidency: "Prof Mary McAleese, Distinguished Professor in Irish Studies at St Mary’s University, Twickenham, London; previously Director of the Institute of Professional Legal Studies, and Pro-Vice Chancellor, Queen’s University, Belfast." Nothing about 14 years in the Aras. Did we stop her pension?

https://www.ewtn.co.uk/news/latest/st-mary-s-twickenham-professor-endorses-rejection-of-humanae-vitae

Eventually the church will change and most of us won't notice.
I don't know why McAleese advocates policies that are anti-Catholic.

My point is that the Church needs to start putting clear blue water between it and McAleese.
St.Mary's University could start the process by dismissing her from the teaching staff.

Dame_Enda

The Papacy has no biblical basis. The traditional quote to St Peter about being a rock to build a church on can simply mean being a co-founder.

Socratus O' Pericles

When the radical priest come to get me released, we was all on the cover of Newsweek.

Socratus O' Pericles

When should you leave a club? When the rule-making committee starts making rules you don't like. Or won't change the rules you don't like. Is it time for Reform Catholicism, that could evolve like Reform Judaism?

Contraception was banned for us catholics since 1930 and Castii Connubii, which ".. stressed the sanctity of marriage, prohibited Catholics from using any form of artificial birth control, and reaffirmed the prohibition on abortion. It also explained the authority of Church doctrine on moral matters, and advocated that civil governments follow the lead of the Church in this area."

This was extended by Humanae Vitae in 1968 that prohibited all forms of artificial contraception, and affirmed traditional moral teaching on the sanctity of life. As rules go it was clear enough. The pill had been invented in the 1950s.

Mary Mac was our Prez in a former life. Now she has a professorship at St Mary's university Twickenham, where a fellow professor is former field marshal Charles Guthrie (Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank to you) whose .. "military career saw service with the Welsh Guards and the Special Air Service; he was closely involved in military operations in Northern Ireland and provided advice to the British Government during the Bosnian War and the Kosovo War." This shows that christian tolerance can work, at least between people who are educated and comfortably off.

But should she and millions of other catholics around the world not use the internet and set their own agenda now, after acres of newsprint about humanae vitae since the 1960s, and create a "Reform Catholicism"? I'm not an expert on judaism but obviously Reform Judaism grew legs and is still running.

Or if not, why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casti_connubii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanae_vitae

https://www.ewtn.co.uk/news/latest/st-mary-s-twickenham-professor-endorses-rejection-of-humanae-vitae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Guthrie,_Baron_Guthrie_of_Craigiebank

Field Marshal Guthrie Reports for Duty at St Mary's - Media Centre | News, Events, Photos | St Mary's University, Twickenham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Judaism
Why are yiz always going on about contraception? Why not Death, Famine, War & Conquest or Faith, Hope & Charity. Or Justice, Honesty and Equality of Opportunity?

You hold no currency, you are foreign men...............

GDPR

we need another now
Of course Cruimh is a "Cultural Protestant" as opposed to a believing one who sincerely wants to draw close to Our Lord. Anyway all the Reformers were against artificial contraception. The Lambeth Council of 1930 was a long way from the 16 th century.

Socratus O' Pericles

Or the big one, now that somdomites can get married, .... abortion.....
My personal take (and now this is a wild one!) is that if some young wan who was at the end of her tether from poverty, addiction and the judgment of the holy rolling snobs who'd had an abortion and one of said holy rollers presented themselves for judgment before an all merciful god (I know, I know!)then my betting is the poor young wan would be handed the harp and the white gúna, whilst the hr would be sitting next to the fire. xtians of the type you meet here tend to be horrible, judgmental things.

Last edited:

SideysGhost

I guess that depends on how you would define "good", the reformation just caused the first of many cracks in christianity.
Ah now, them Orthodox geezers (the ones with the even more fabulous dresses) beat yon Luther fella to the auld splitting by nearly 500 years, and before that there were numerous groups denounced as heretics and persecuted. Looking at this list it's a miracle they ever agreed on anything at all, even when you have an Emperor pulling the strings like at Nicea.

I've spent most of my life since about age 9 or so completely baffled by the sheer numbers of people claiming to believe in any of the bazillion each-madder-than-the-last sub-sects of Christianity. Mad, Ted.

Casablanca

Why are yiz always going on about contraception? Why not Death, Famine, War & Conquest or Faith, Hope & Charity. Or Justice, Honesty and Equality of Opportunity?

You hold no currency, you are foreign men...............
I know what I know
I'll sing what I said
We come and we go

talkingshop

I don't know why McAleese advocates policies that are anti-Catholic.

My point is that the Church needs to start putting clear blue water between it and McAleese.
St.Mary's University could start the process by dismissing her from the teaching staff.
The RCC does change over time - she is dead right to advocate change on this stance on contraception, which apparently was almost changed before, and could well change in the future. I hope this movement grows.

Socratus O' Pericles

The RCC does change over time - she is dead right to advocate change on this stance on contraception, which apparently was almost changed before, and could well change in the future. I hope this movement grows.
Do you know why they're always going on about contraception when there's so much death, war, famine, hunger, poverty, injustice, fraud, theft, murder, rape and on and on happening in the world..............they could speak out on these outrages once in a blue moon could they not?

Why are they turning themselves into a fukken laughing stock?

W W J D?

gerhard dengler

She's on public record advocating for policies which contradict Church teaching. What she is advocating is anti Catholic.

No Catholic institution should be employing her.
The Church needs to start removing her, and those others who teach anti catholic policies.
It is the Church's call.

talkingshop

Do you know why they're always going on about contraception when there's so much death, war, famine, hunger, poverty, injustice, fraud, theft, murder, rape and on and on happening in the world..............they could speak out on these outrages once in a blue moon could they not?

W W J D?
Tbh it seems to me that they don't always go on about contraception. I'm not a practising Catholic and would only be at Mass for the usual weddings, funerals, christenings etc. but I honestly doubt a priest has referred to contraception in a sermon in more than 20 years. I would guess most of the priests don't even agree with it. I think the Church would like to drop this actually but has backed itself into a corner and doesn't know how to extricate itself without losing face.

Eire1976

High time that the RCC was replaced by a version of Christianity that suits Irish society and makes it better.

We need Christianity for births weddings and funerals.

We can have priests that can marry and be apart of full society with their own families.

D

Deleted member 17573

W W J D?
They do - but this stuff doesn't sell newspapers!
If you read the document they issued on climate change, you'll find they did an excellent job on tying it in with war, famine, hunger, poverty and injustice. It was as fine an analysis of how all of these are interrelated as I have seen and it certainly pulled no punches.

ruserious

High time that the RCC was replaced by a version of Christianity that suits Irish society and makes it better.

We need Christianity for births weddings and funerals.

We can have priests that can marry and be apart of full society with their own families.
Do we?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies