Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

McDave

I'm having a Gaybo moment.

Having been assaulted for years by the imprecise modulation of AA Roadwatch accents on, well, AA Roadwatch and ads in general, I've noticed a slow encroachment of the same among newsreaders and correspondents - and, Gaybo forbid, increasingly on RTE!!

Many Irish have fantastic clear, warm media voices. Take a bow Pat Kenny (on radio), Maeve Binchy, Terry Wogan, Marion Finucane, Susan Jackson, Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy (on radio) (and even the chick from Cork who minds Sockie).

But now the airwaves are being taken over by particular breeds who I find it hard to believe are easily understood outside their own convent alma maters. Roll call of bad "nooz" and current offairs diction: Mariam O'Collaghan, Keelan Shanley, and lately Amma "Bazness news" MocNomora. Some of the guys aren't much better: Dimitri "RO'CK" O'Donnell and Matt "Nooz" Cooper.

Is it time someone in "Ort-ee-ee" introduced some kind of code on clarity of diction so punters outside Doblin 4 can get information out of news broadcasts once again? For those who can't get the potatoes out, there's always the possibility of a gig on Lorraine Keane's Xpose or "Span" 103.8 FM.

Oooh, Oooh, that guy Michael McMullan (I think that's his name??) that does the sports nooz...[groan]

geraghd

independentobserver said:
Oooh, Oooh, that guy Michael McMullan (I think that's his name??) that does the sports nooz...[groan]
Yeah him! He does have a very very distinct accent! IIII'mm Michael MAC MUUHLANN...

Or words to that effect.

Terminal Frost

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't mind regional accents as long as the presenters can be understood. Those newfangled accents though, they're awful. I could be wrong here but I'm guessing that these accents get up the noses of most listeners.

I remember when I was in school, the kids in the class who got notions about their own importance started talking with affected accents like these. I heard that Amma McNamara isn't from D4 at all but Carlow....

geraghd said:
Yeah him! He does have a very very distinct accent! IIII'mm Michael MAC MUUHLANN...

Or words to that effect.

Painful, painful stuff. They must have been fierce stuck, the day they hired him.

alonso

Technika said:
I heard that Amma McNamara isn't from D4 at all but Carlow....
What the hell has D4 got to do with accents???? It's a well spoken Dublin accent spoken widely from Greystones to Drogheda these days. The only accent I hear regular in D4 is from the kids outside Tesco Express in Ringsend and it's not anything like what we're talking abou'

Terminal Frost

Alright, so it isn't D4. It's an abomination of an accent though, no matter what label is put on it. It's harsh on the ears and mangles the English language.

Clanrickard

McDave said:
Is it time someone in "Ort-ee-ee" introduced some kind of code on clarity of diction so punters outside Doblin 4 can get information out of news broadcasts once again? For those who can't get the potatoes out, there's always the possibility of a gig on Lorraine Keane's Xpose or "Span" 103.8 FM.
My sister in law is from D4 and doesn't talk like that Amm McNamora who does the bizness nooz on RTE. That AA Roadwatch is awfull. They are a parody of temselves at this stage.

McDave

Technika said:
Alright, so it isn't D4. It's an abomination of an accent though, no matter what label is put on it. It's harsh on the ears and mangles the English language.
I'm with Technika on this. It ranks for me alongside other deeply unattractive accents like Estuary English. There is something very self-regarding about the "D4" accent. As it only appeared recently enough, it also sounds, like, so toootally contrived. A bit teeny in a way. We're talking "Look at me. I've got my very own accent. I made it up this morning. I just mix up my As and Es up. Coooool".

eyeSpy

Trevor Welch on TV3 and Craig Doyle (BBC?) constantly mispronounce words in a self conscious effort to sound, i dont know, posh or something.
God forbid one of them use the syllable 'ah'.
Keep an eye out for Welch's pronounciation of Real Madrid.
'Rayol Madrid' he says the clown.

'There's a hold up on the Red Cow Randabaut'. Those gimps in AA :evil:

stannis

But now the airwaves are being taken over by particular breeds who I find it hard to believe are easily understood outside their own convent alma maters. Roll call of bad "nooz" and current offairs diction: Mariam O'Collaghan, Keelan Shanley, and lately Amma "Bazness news" MocNomora. Some of the guys aren't much better: Dimitri "RO'CK" O'Donnell and Matt "Nooz" Cooper.
Well I'd have to agree with you on the Miriam-hatin'. She has the most irritating tone of voice and general manner.

The OD

I'm constantly wondering exactly who are the people being referred to on any crime reports on Six One News - has anyone any information on the alternate criminal investigation service the 'Gourdee'?

Are they followers of Brian the messiah, eternally opposed to the followers of the shoe?

Are they a secret cult devoted to gourd worship?

Are they a vigilante outfit?

Weird indeed.

White Horse

McDave said:
You make a good point.

It's great to have strong regional accents on the radio. But must everyone have the same South Dublin regional accent? It might is easy for Dubliners to understand. However, some of us struggle to follow it.

Victor Meldrew

The thing about accents is, you can affect the accent and move from (your perceived) humble origins, but your use and command of English is far harder to shift. It's priceless watching "Faux-posh" accents applied to grammatical train wreck sentences.

I'd love to see the effort spent affecting a "D4-like-oh-my-god" accent being channeled into learning to speak English and form articulate sentences.

G

Gimpanzee

McDave said:
and even the chick from Cork who minds Sockie
You got to be joking. Her voice is hideous. Its like a cross between a hyena and an audio representation of weedkiller.

meriwether

geraghd said:

Or words to that effect.

Its 'Oim Moykel mukmullan. [raise intonation] Alex Ferguson has today stated....'

He's not as bad as that twat on with Dempsey Paul Collins.

ergo

Dortspeak is very hard to take.

Unless............./brilliant thought/........... we promote it as D 4's answer to Ulster/Scots, and look for equal funding and recognition etc.

macdarawhitfield

'Lead on McDave!'Local radio is worse if anything.The strange collision of wannabe West Brit presenters and wanky Yank adverts and jingles-ugh.Perhaps it sounded cool 45 years ago but now,when we're supposed to be so confident about who we are and the world wants to be Irish ,blah blah? 'Cwoarks nine dee six fm' have started to cut out the impressionists and hired staff from UK and Oz.Cork has its own 'Dortspeak' which used to be the 'Roches Stores accent',tho' now its UK owned.John Kilraine sounds like he has just escaped from a Corrie audition.Wogan cannot pronounce the letter 'R',you can actually hear him avoiding it,weird.He is so anal retentive its cringeworthy, yet paradoxically his UK fame depends on the Paddy factor.As for Lorraine and the rest of the girls,well its more of a gum infection than a speaking voice.

macdarawhitfield

'Lead on McDave!'Local radio is worse if anything.The strange collision of wannabe West Brit presenters and wanky Yank adverts and jingles-ugh.Perhaps it sounded cool 45 years ago but now,when we're supposed to be so confident about who we are and the world wants to be Irish ,blah blah? 'Cwoarks nine dee six fm' have started to cut out the impressionists and hired staff from UK and Oz.Cork has its own 'Dortspeak' which used to be the 'Roches Stores accent',tho' now its UK owned.John Kilraine sounds like he has just escaped from a Corrie audition.Wogan cannot pronounce the letter 'R',you can actually hear him avoiding it,weird.He is so anal retentive its cringeworthy, yet paradoxically his UK fame depends on the Paddy factor.As for Lorraine and the rest of the girls,well its more of a gum infection than a speaking voice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies