Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

Dedogs

Some News talk presenters could do with learning foreign pronunciations. Pronounce Rajoy correctly, as "Rahoy". Pronounce Sergey with the "g" as in "gate" - not "g" as in "sage". :roll:
and they could pronounce ross correct as ************************er as well!!!! :);):)

Roberto Jordan

Olivia O'Leary uttering the word "poem" is something which cries out for a good clip round the ear.

Her version sounds like "poo-m".

Her readings on the Affectation-Scale were already high, this pushes her even further up her own awrse-
Always thought of her as the most dreadfully pretentious type..... as a fellow culchie I thought of her as the front of the church with pater and Mater when home for Christmas type ,all silk scarfs and gloves......from but not "of" the place she was brought forth in....despite her frequent remembrances of same...

Ardillaun

Some News talk presenters could do with learning foreign pronunciations. Pronounce Rajoy correctly, as "Rahoy". Pronounce Sergey with the "g" as in "gate" - not "g" as in "sage". :roll:
There's a happy medium there. You don't want to go full Russky or, even more dangerously, Indian and sound like a pretentious eejit when you get the next name from that country a bit wrong. I've noticed my own pronunciations changing gradually from Pakistan to Bahgistahn, for example, or IZ-lam to Iss-LAHM.

I think one rule on most Russian names greater than two syllables is to stress the second one e.g. nab-OK-ov, Shar-AP-ova which a certain tennis player of that name doesn't do.

My own anglo-canadian inflected accent sounds less 'posh' than that of many young Dubliners these days. What they do with vowels is most strange.

Last edited:

A Voice

The people who make a point of saying Budapessshht. :roll:

Why aren't they consistent and saying Moskva, Pareeee and Malmu?

Ardillaun

The people who make a point of saying Budapessshht. :roll:

Why aren't they consistent and saying Moskva, Pareeee and Malmu?
For some reason, the American MOSS-cow drives me crackers. I know MOSS-coe is not quite right either but it's not deliberately more wrong than it needs to be, if that makes any sense.

A Voice

There is a sex worker being interviewed on Newstalk at the moment.

Every single answer she gave began 'So....'

Which US tv show is responsible for this very annoying habit?!
The Eyetalians do it. They preface a lot of contributions with "Alora, ...." . Which is absolutely no reason for English-speaking knobheads to say "So" at the start of everything! :mad:

ellie08

There's a happy medium there. You don't want to go full Russky or, even more dangerously, Indian and sound like a pretentious eejit when you get the next name from that country a bit wrong. I've noticed my own pronunciations changing gradually from Pakistan to Bahgistahn, for example, or IZ-lam to Iss-LAHM.

I think one rule on most Russian names greater than two syllables is to stress the second one e.g. nab-OK-ov, Shar-AP-ova which a certain tennis player of that name doesn't do.

My own anglo-canadian inflected accent sounds less 'posh' than that of many young Dubliners these days. What they do with vowels is most strange.
Like this you mean?

[video=youtube;sIAQkBLpuoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAQkBLpuoE[/video]

or this ?

[video=youtube;OIPgrAYpF2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPgrAYpF2U[/video]

:lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies