Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

McDave

euroboy said:
The other Radio and TV stations, especially the Dublin stations, seem to be worst affected. FM104, Newstalk all have presenters with this painful quasi high speed Irish-American nasal accent. TV3, its nighly news presenters, esp that Fitzpatrick lady who has this grating high pitched accent. I often wonder why she is allowed to present the nightly news, its high pitched, often nasal and very sharp. But it is not all women, most of the men on private radio all sound like 2fm Djs.
One of the worst offenders is NewsSquawk's Saturday morning crew. They were doing OK with Roisin Ingle who sounds like she might be a bot of fun. But then they inflict the likes of Sophie Whoever on some kind of cultural programme, and now the truly awful Claire Thingie on Morning Blend (?!) with a totally retooled-for-the-noughties "young" posh Dort/SCD/D4 accent.

Trampas

And what about the thoroughly nauseating sports reporter Cian whatshisname on 106. Sends me diving for the zapper.

CreamCracker

Also the vacuous ex-Big Brother Brian Whathisface (now in Failte Towers) has such an irritating fake accent - his vowels bounce all over the shop...

euroboy

Whats your opinions on Justine McCarthy. I heard her on drive-time the day Sarkozy was visting Dublin last month. Thankfully she tends to concentrate on written media :D

Joeyjoejoe

It's good to hear Michael Clifford on the Last Word lately with a real Cork accent, I was shocked the first time I listened to Cork 96 FM, I was expecting to hear local accents but they had the same sad Anglo-American accents as on 2Fm, FM 104 etc

eyeSpy

Joeyjoejoe said:
It's good to hear Michael Clifford on the Last Word lately with a real Cork accent, I was shocked the first time I listened to Cork 96 FM, I was expecting to hear local accents but they had the same sad Anglo-American accents as on 2Fm, FM 104 etc
Do not, I repeat, do not listen to 96fm. It will hurt your soul and shorten your life you will be so pi$$ed off.
I have considered, when i was a teeenager, breaking their windows with a note attached to a rock just to let them know how sh|t they were.
Anytime i see their 4x4 wank wagons i give them a big fat finger. It wont change the world but cheers me up.

stannis

Do not, I repeat, do not listen to 96fm. It will hurt your soul and shorten your life you will be so pi$$ed off.
Do you prefer da feens wit dere killer choons on Red FM?

Joeyjoejoe said:
He's from Kerry I think.

A major irritant for me is this ridiculous accent adopted by some newsreaders which I think is an attempt to sound English, though no-one in England speaks like it. Brian Dobson is an example, listen and cringe the next time he says 'the cawwwwst of living'. Then there is Mark Little, who spent 15 minutes in America and came back speaking like an Upper East Side WASP. And don't get me started on the bloke who does sport bulletins for Today FM, 'OOOIM MOICHAEL McMOLLEN'. And anyone who says DorSETT Street should be shot too.

Jesus is Lord

McDave said:
I'm having a Gaybo moment.

Having been assaulted for years by the imprecise modulation of AA Roadwatch accents on, well, AA Roadwatch and ads in general, I've noticed a slow encroachment of the same among newsreaders and correspondents - and, Gaybo forbid, increasingly on RTE!!

Many Irish have fantastic clear, warm media voices. Take a bow Pat Kenny (on radio), Maeve Binchy, Terry Wogan, Marion Finucane, Susan Jackson, Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy (on radio) (and even the chick from Cork who minds Sockie).

But now the airwaves are being taken over by particular breeds who I find it hard to believe are easily understood outside their own convent alma maters. Roll call of bad "nooz" and current offairs diction: Mariam O'Collaghan, Keelan Shanley, and lately Amma "Bazness news" MocNomora. Some of the guys aren't much better: Dimitri "RO'CK" O'Donnell and Matt "Nooz" Cooper.

Is it time someone in "Ort-ee-ee" introduced some kind of code on clarity of diction so punters outside Doblin 4 can get information out of news broadcasts once again? For those who can't get the potatoes out, there's always the possibility of a gig on Lorraine Keane's Xpose or "Span" 103.8 FM.
Really I ask you..........Would a deaf person complain?

Upper Chamber

YES IT IS!

Lots of RTE journalists still have a good speaking voice, Susan Byrne comes to mind but many of the rest need to be spoken to. Ms Shanley and Ms O'Callaghan need to be sent of to the Frascati Shopping centre to talk to the other fifteen year olds. RTE has some standards but not much, independent radio is a lost cause
This accent is no accident and needs to be explored and exposed. Most aspirational accents start with females and migrate to males and that is exactly what has happened. In Dublin a working class accent uses massively over extended vowels, note how the DORT accent now clips vowels and NEVER ever pronounces a normal round 'O'. Hence we get "Kirk" (a city on the river Lee), 'Eurah' (an almost europe wide currency), 'spirt', a leisure activity involving physical activity. Add in high rising terminations, a bit of esturine rising mid sentence, use the word 'blokes' as we always have in Ireland.
The above is mainly female but a new "inoffensive", non threathening non working class male accent can now be heard on radio, the vowels seem to be altered so it sounds something between an american accent and the swedish chef from the muppets, check out Spin 103.8 or most of the sports programs. 'Four' cannot be pronounced by these idiots, it becomes something like "fuir". Oh and say 'tweny' instead of 'twenty' because that sounds american and everyone will think you're cool. Rachel Allen??? Where did that accent originate and who is qualified to translate it?
As for the moron on one of the Dublin stations who constantly tries to inject false, pathetic 'bon homie' into his bland sports news by raising and droping his voice and going 'huh huh', f**k off somewhere else.
Rant ended but take people up on this stuff.

Trampas

Upper Chamber said:
YES IT IS!

Lots of RTE journalists still have a good speaking voice, Susan Byrne comes to mind but many of the rest need to be spoken to. Ms Shanley and Ms O'Callaghan need to be sent of to the Frascati Shopping centre to talk to the other fifteen year olds. RTE has some standards but not much, independent radio is a lost cause
This accent is no accident and needs to be explored and exposed. Most aspirational accents start with females and migrate to males and that is exactly what has happened. In Dublin a working class accent uses massively over extended vowels, note how the DORT accent now clips vowels and NEVER ever pronounces a normal round 'O'. Hence we get "Kirk" (a city on the river Lee), 'Eurah' (an almost europe wide currency), 'spirt', a leisure activity involving physical activity. Add in high rising terminations, a bit of esturine rising mid sentence, use the word 'blokes' as we always have in Ireland.
The above is mainly female but a new inoffensive and non working class male accent can now be heard on radio, the vowels seem to be altered so it sounds something between an american accent and the swedish chef from the muppets, check out Spin 103.8 or most of the sports programs. 'Four' cannot be pronounced by these idiots, it becomes something like "fuir". Oh and say 'tweny' instead of 'twenty' because that sounds american and everyone will think you're cool. Rachel Allen??? Where did that accent originate and who is qualified to translate it?
As for the moron on one of the Dublin stations who constantly tries to inject false, pathetic 'bon homie' into his bland sports news by raising and droping his voice and going 'huh huh', f**k off somewhere else.
Rant ended but take people up on this stuff.

You know I could have written that. By the way that city on the Lee is Quirk, and do you know what, even young wans from Quirk are pronouncing it that way now. I have already explained the "Four" problem but here it is again. (Sit up at the back.) A couple of decades ago going "for" a pint became going "four" a pint. Having absconded with the figure 4 sound they then needed a new pronunciation for 4, so that coldly became "fuar". Simple really. Those americanisms and the rising interrogative inflections are abominations but nothing short of a national campaign of ridicule will have any affect. Now there's an idea. ;)

Bobb

Today Matt (bloke) Cooper introduced a report about the british economy saying it was "shagged" and then spoke to a reporter from some publication called the "Garjen" about it.

Bobb

For me the absolute number 1 most irritating "personality" has got to be Terry Prone. She makes me want to take a hurley to the radio. She's such an effin know all and says everything very slowly and deliberately so we can understand. Yes Terry always has everything sussed

Upper Chamber

Those americanisms and the rising interrogative inflections are abominations but nothing short of a national campaign of ridicule will have any affect.
Thanks Trampas, we are clearly at one. A national campaign of ridicule could actually work (or should that be "wirk"?). In fact some of this is already happening, a number of radio ads have featured R.OCK type piss take accents have been aired and I think I remember one or two female "OMG, like that's just so..." ads so people are aware how stupid these accents are. Problem is the worst offenders probably don't get it, the just hear people speaking like themselves. Anyway the full on california girl speak is so ridiculous that I suspect most young women actually switch out of it somewhat when employment etc demands it. It is the less obvious but far more annoying word garbling that needs to be slagged off.
Something else that could be done is to adopt an Inspector Clouseau strategy. Remember him asking for a "rhuim" in a hotel but being told they only had rooms? Ring up 98FM and say you can't understand the traffic news, what exactly is a "puirt tunnel"?
Then again you could just write to RTE, Denis O'Brien or to Madam's letter pages asking for these organisations to get some standards.

PlayItCool

Upper Chamber said:
Rachel Allen??? Where did that accent originate and who is qualified to translate it?
Good grief yes. She's the worst I've ever heard. And there's very little consisitency in her vowel sounds which makes it sound even more affected. My ex-flatmate insisted I was being unfair mocking her and that she was foreign - he thought swedish. I informed him that she's from exotic Foxrock. 'I lake to jast pop it into the ah-ven for just a little mew-ment to corehmelise the sugar on top.' Eh, with the what now? I can barely understand her and I lived for a while in Monkstown (or should I say Minkstain?) and got the DORT into work every day.

soubresauts

It was at least twenty years ago I noticed the young people in Dublin had this weird new accent. I used to travel upstairs on the 46A bus and couldn't help overhearing the kids yapping. I noticed that they seemed to never go to school; they went to "skeel". They never went into town; they went into "tane". The poor things had no friends; they had "frands". And so on.

I'm rarely in Dublin these days, and it seems things haven't improved.

macdarawhitfield

soubresauts said:
It was at least twenty years ago I noticed the young people in Dublin had this weird new accent. I used to travel upstairs on the 46A bus and couldn't help overhearing the kids yapping. I noticed that they seemed to never go to school; they went to "skeel". They never went into town; they went into "tane". The poor things had no friends; they had "frands". And so on.

I'm rarely in Dublin these days, and it seems things haven't improved.
I listened to our own Olivia O Leary the other day on Radio 4,the BBC's flagship news and current affairs station.Her accent is quite unchanged and unaffected.Neither interviewees nor listeners seem to have a problem with it.Yippee!

Kate P

PlayItCool said:
Upper Chamber said:
Rachel Allen??? Where did that accent originate and who is qualified to translate it?
Good grief yes. She's the worst I've ever heard. And there's very little consisitency in her vowel sounds which makes it sound even more affected. My ex-flatmate insisted I was being unfair mocking her and that she was foreign - he thought swedish. I informed him that she's from exotic Foxrock. 'I lake to jast pop it into the ah-ven for just a little mew-ment to corehmelise the sugar on top.' Eh, with the what now? I can barely understand her and I lived for a while in Monkstown (or should I say Minkstain?) and got the DORT into work every day.
Wow, spectacular bitchiness here.

Her mother is Icelandic and still has quite a strong Icelandic accent. No doubt Rachel picked some of her current pronunciation up from her and a combination of growing up in Dublin and living in Cork.

McDave

Kate P said:
PlayItCool said:
[quote="Upper Chamber":32et9nhy]Rachel Allen??? Where did that accent originate and who is qualified to translate it?
Wow, spectacular bitchiness here.
Her mother is Icelandic and still has quite a strong Icelandic accent. No doubt Rachel picked some of her current pronunciation up from her and a combination of growing up in Dublin and living in Cork.[/quote:32et9nhy]
I don't know who Rachel Allen is, but (in the context of the thread) I'd have to ask which post code (4?) or public transport corridor (DORT) the Dublin component might be informed by. Maybe I should check the programme out for myself (what is it?).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies