Is it transphobic for a woman to refuse to be treated by a transexual?

Nebuchadnezzar

Last September a woman requested that a female nurse carry out her smear test. She was “embarrassed and distressed” when the ‘female’ nurse was a person with facial stubble and a deep voice.

By way of assurance in response to her initial objection the nurse told her that...”My gender is not male. I’m a transexual”. She further stated in her complaint that the nurse “had an obviously male appearance.....close cropped hair, a male facial appearance and voice, large number of tattoos and facial stubble”.

The woman decided not to go ahead with the test and she submitted a complaint to the NHS clinic about the matter. The clinic subsequently apologised saying that an clerical error had been made and that “policy is to consider all requests for clinicians of a particular gender”. This statement is a tacit acceptance that the clinic itself does not consider the nurse to have been a ‘real woman’ as so many trans-activists insist that transwomen are.

Should she have been entitled to refuse to be treated by this particular nurse?

Ref Sunday Times, pages 1&2, 31st December 2017.

mr_anderson

Putin must be pi$$ing himself laughing at what has become of the west.

eoghanacht

I don't know but you guys have fun figuring it out.

Gin Soaked

The nurse's competence and professionalism should be the only factors here.

razorblade

If it makes her feel uncomfortable then yes she is well within her rights to refuse.

Gin Soaked

So the patient’s obvious distress and unease shouldn’t be considered?
If the nurse was a regular male nurse, then there needs to be a very good reason for the patient to object to a male nurse. Or a black nurse, or an Asian nurse. There should be a limited set of reasons for objecting to treatment based on gender etc...

Accept that a smear is invasive, and I'd have sympathy in this case. Personally, I've had my 'private procedures' dealt with by female nurses. It is never pleasant and always embarrasing, can't think that a male nurse or doctor would have helped.

Professionalism does help, however...

Gin Soaked

All of the above said, a Trans woman will always be a challenge if patients have sensitivities and points to one of the many pythonesque limitations of our brave new world of a la carte gender identity...

Henry94.

In an intimate matter like that the person undergoing the procedure has the superior right. When they are looking at the nurse’s genitalia she can make the call. I think people have a right to have their gender identity respected but when their is a clash of rights the person with skin in the game makes the call.

Nebuchadnezzar

If the nurse was a regular male nurse, then there needs to be a very good reason for the patient to object to a male nurse. Or a black nurse, or an Asian nurse. There should be a limited set of reasons for objecting to treatment based on gender etc...

Accept that a smear is invasive, and I'd have sympathy in this case. Personally, I've had my 'private procedures' dealt with by female nurses. It is never pleasant and always embarrasing, can't think that a male nurse or doctor would have helped.

The woman made the point that this would have been much worse if her 17 year old daughter was being treated rather than herself. Similarly for an elderly woman or an immigrant from a culture high a higher degree of bodily privacy than our own. If we want to encourage people to come forward for screenings then denying them these sort of situations are going to have a negative effect.

Watcher2

Last September a woman requested that a female nurse carry out her smear test. She was “embarrassed and distressed” when the ‘female’ nurse was a person with facial stubble and a deep voice.

By way of assurance in response to her initial objection the nurse told her that...”My gender is not male. I’m a transexual”. She further stated in her complaint that the nurse “had an obviously male appearance.....close cropped hair, a male facial appearance and voice, large number of tattoos and facial stubble”.

The woman decided not to go ahead with the test and she submitted a complaint to the NHS clinic about the matter. The clinic subsequently apologised saying that an clerical error had been made and that “policy is to consider all requests for clinicians of a particular gender”. This statement is a tacit acceptance that the clinic itself does not consider the nurse to have been a ‘real woman’ as so many trans-activists insist that transwomen are.

Should she have been entitled to refuse to be treated by this particular nurse?

Ref Sunday Times, pages 1&2, 31st December 2017.
Yes of course she was entitled.

Watcher2

Everyone, regardless of job, should act professionally when performing that job. That's a given and a default. But that's not the issue. Even at the airport, women pat down women.

Gin Soaked

Everyone, regardless of job, should act professionally when performing that job. That's a given and a default. But that's not the issue. Even at the airport, women pat down women.
True, but many Gynacologists are male. So if there is a shortage of femal gynies and gynie nurses , then there is a practical issue here. I get the sensitivity, but if everyone wanted a woman examining them, then you skew the hiring practices and meritocracy.

Would you rather have the bloke who came first in his class or the woman who scraped through ?

It is a difficult one. This is screening for a particularly vicious cancer. We really need to screen as many women as possible. But resources are limited. And there are cultural issues.

Gin Soaked

No it is not. Its her body and private property, she has every right to refuse, fook pcism
Absolutely. But if there is no "cis woman" (if that is the right term), available, then what? Reschedule to end of the queue? Bump someone else?

NHS were between a rock and a hard place here.

Nedz Newt

[video=youtube;x98cE4QCrlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98cE4QCrlk[/video]

From simpler times...

Cdebru

The nurse's competence and professionalism should be the only factors here.
In theory that's fine, but it's just not the same as a woman born as a woman, a woman shouldn't be forced into accepting a trans woman as a woman for something intimate like a smear test.

New Threads

Most Replies