Is it wise to award such huge sums to victims of hospital malpractice?

ruserious

€10m settlement for Mayo girl injured at birth
https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0306/945488-settlement-high-court/

Now let me start this thread by saying that the little girl in question deserves to be medically taken care of for the rest of her life because of the damage done to her by the State.

However I feel that these types of large awards which seem to happen regularly could be a folly. By fronting such large lump sums, the State cannot guarantee that it will go towards the care of the girl, nor can it predict precisely how much her care will cost for the rest of her life.

In my opinion, the State should guarantee her and others like her, free health care for life. And let it be the best of treatment too with private rooms in hospitals, fit out of adapted homes etc. No barriers to cost etc.

But giving a blank cheque is a way for the State to wash its hands of the case and I worry that the State does not therefore keep an eye on ensuring that people in such scenarios are given the care they need (no offence to these or any other parents) long term.

Essentially, the State should, in my opinion, give these victims a type of Golden Medical Card for life which would cover everything they need to live the life they deserve rather than fronting up such a large cost and the State washing it's hands of it.

Schuhart

I think the OP is substantially right. €10 million is a ludicrous sum to give to one person; it's enough money to run Holles Street for two months.

I quibble on the OP wording. No damage was done by the State.

The State, via HSE, spends €1.5 billion every year on supports for people with disability. The State spends another billion on special education. On top of that the State pays out €3 billion via the Dept of Social Protection in direct financial supports for people with disability and their families.

Absolutely nonsense to be lashing out millions in these cases.

Spirit Of Newgrange

in the history of 99.9% of your ancestors, when they got sick they died.

mr_anderson

Is it based upon the amount of principle required to generate an income sufficient enough to cover annual costs ?

In which case, you can (for the most part) blame low interest rates.

D

Deleted member 48908

I think the OP is substantially right. €10 million is a ludicrous sum to give to one person; it's enough money to run Holles Street for two months.

The State, via HSE, spends €1.5 billion every year on supports for people with disability. The State spends another billion on special education. On top of that the State pays out €3 billion via the Dept of Social Protection in direct financial supports for people with disability and their families.

How much do they spend on malpractice insurance?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Is it too late for your parents to claim for the damage you evidently suffered at birth?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Now let me start this thread by saying that the little girl in question deserves to be medically taken care of for the rest of her life because of the damage done to her by the State.

However I feel that these types of large awards which seem to happen regularly could be a folly. By fronting such large lump sums, the State cannot guarantee that it will go towards the care of the girl, nor can it predict precisely how much her care will cost for the rest of her life.

In my opinion, the State should guarantee her and others like her, free health care for life. And let it be the best of treatment too with private rooms in hospitals, fit out of adapted homes etc. No barriers to cost etc.

But giving a blank cheque is a way for the State to wash its hands of the case and I worry that the State does not therefore keep an eye on ensuring that people in such scenarios are given the care they need (no offence to these or any other parents) long term.

Essentially, the State should, in my opinion, give these victims a type of Golden Medical Card for life which would cover everything they need to live the life they deserve rather than fronting up such a large cost and the State washing it's hands of it.
Her life was destroyed. Her entire life. The lives of her parents also.

A golden medical card would cover public healthcare.

If she lives to 50, it's just over 200k a year at today's values.

It's a pittance.

ruserious

Her life was destroyed. Her entire life. The lives of her parents also.

A golden medical card would cover public healthcare.
That's your definition. My definition is that it would cover everything in addition to public healthcare that she would require to live the life she deserves. That may include fitting out a house, to the benefits of the best private medical care.

ShoutingIsLeadership

That's your definition. My definition is that it would cover everything in addition to public healthcare that she would require to live the life she deserves. That may include fitting out a house, to the benefits of the best private medical care.
Right, so her life is destroyed by a agent of the State, and forever more she is to depend on handouts.

Ardillaun

How much do they spend on malpractice insurance?
The equivalent of professional malpractice insurance is much higher in Ireland than in Canada, in many cases large multiples of our rates. Canadian rates can be easily found online. There’s no way that care is that much worse in Ireland.

ruserious

Right, so her life is destroyed by a agent of the State, and forever more she is to depend on handouts.
No, I believe the duty of care should rest with the State for the rest of her life rather than fronting such a large sum which has no guarantees in place (to protect the tax payer where it ultimately comes from) to ensure it goes to her health now and into the future for the rest of her life.

dizillusioned

not being a smart ass Rus... but as this girl gets older the mother and father either:

1. Look after her themselves... which places the earning power of each of them at zero

2. Find a place that looks after the child into adulthood, which is not cheap.

For me, 10 million is not a lot of money for this family to have to maintain 24/7 care for the rest of her life. Remember, it is not just the child's life that has been affected by this, it is her Mum her Dad and any other siblings they have or may have.

GDPR

A medical gold card when her injuries were the result of medical malpractice?

Thats like saying if. you were raped, you should be entitled to a life-time of expert gigolos

These awards are sized, meaning cut down, by a later legal process which caps financial settlements. They are given to hopefully put the fear on others who are equally negligent and hope no one notices.

ShoutingIsLeadership

No, I believe the duty of care should rest with the State for the rest of her life rather than fronting such a large sum which has no guarantees in place (to protect the tax payer where it ultimately comes from) to ensure it goes to her health now and into the future for the rest of her life.
It's her life which has been destroyed. It's up to her and her family to destroy that ten million in any way they choose.

Protect the taxpayer? This is effectively an insurance payout...nothing to do with "the taxpayer".

CatullusV

You are in ignorance of these payouts. They are meted out as required and when required over a lifetime.

storybud1

It all goes back to shoddy work practices and nobody getting their ass kicked, this is not some pound shop business, this is serious business and should be run as such like a Navy or air traffic control.

The pressure and life changing effects thrown upon people without any fault of their own is difficult to measure, but one thing for sure is, incompetent , lazy or arrogant medics should be struck off and never be hired without testing their backround to the fullest.

The future of medicine is going to be amazing, bioprinting organs, robotic keyhole operations, new drugs based on bioprinted material being tested far quicker than human trials,, hold on to your seats ladies, the revolution is on the way,,

The_SR

If the state won't deal in any significant way with malpractice across the board, this is the only real redress open to people.

nationalsday

Maybe your "between the lines" reading of the case makes you think the whole thing is a big scam by the family?

Maybe you think the family are Travellers?

Schuhart

It's her life which has been destroyed. It's up to her and her family to destroy that ten million in any way they choose.

Protect the taxpayer? This is effectively an insurance payout...nothing to do with "the taxpayer".
It is entirely funded by the taxpayer, through the Clinical Indemnity Scheme.

Clinical Indemnity Scheme - State Claims Agency

Will the discovery that you are factually wrong on a material point make you pause and reconsider your views? Of course not. You're a typical pleb. Being wrong on a point of fact will only make you worse.

New Threads