Is it wise to remove references to a Mothers right to be in the family home?

Politics matters

As I'm sure many of you're aware article 41.2.1 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, states "In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved."

Article 42.2.2 further states "The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home"

Many individuals find the above to be outdated, patriarchal, misogynistic etc, and those are reasonable points.

However, I believe there are many Mothers in Ireland who would love to ONLY have to work in the family home. The problem is that their husbands income is simply not enough to enable such freedom. Because of this many working class mothers find themselves working as cleaners, sales assistants and other low paying, unsatisfying work.

Is it fair to say that those who take issue with 41.2.1 are all educated/middle class professional women who aren't showing consideration to those who haven't been as privileged in life as they have?

GDPR

Not wise at all, because it will give the Infanticide Régime the opportunity to cut social welfare to mothers in the home. Child bearing and rearing is vital national labour, and should be paid a state salary as such. We are a dying nation. We need to respect and reward our young mothers and families.

Buchaill Dana

As I'm sure many of you're aware article 41.2.1 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, states "In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved."

Article 42.2.2 further states "The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home"

Many individuals find the above to be outdated, patriarchal, misogynistic etc, and those are reasonable points.

However, I believe there are many Mothers in Ireland who would love to ONLY have to work in the family home. The problem is that their husbands income is simply not enough to enable such freedom. Because of this many working class mothers find themselves working as cleaners, sales assistants and other low paying, unsatisfying work.

Is it fair to say that those who take issue with 41.2.1 are all educated/middle class professional women who aren't showing consideration to those who haven't been as privileged in life as they have?
The concept of putting an economic value on housework was radical at the time, but it's no longer that time. Either add men, enforce it somehow or abolish it.

GDPR

The concept of putting an economic value on housework was radical at the time, but it's no longer that time. Either add men, enforce it somehow or abolish it.
Because you think you can outsource child bearing to migrants and let the Irish just get old and drunk?

Karloff

It is more than fair to say that virtually all of modern era feminism is drawn from the opinion and is designed to work for the benefit of... wealthy and upper middle class women.

Goa Tse

8 posts in and the loonies took over. This site has gone to the absolute dogs.

Come back David Cochrane all is forgiven!

AyaanMyHero

What are the state provided benefits for a woman with children who chooses to give up her career ?

Only one I know of is that her husband will get her tax credits. Which is worth very little.

Isn't removal of this constitutional text only bringing the constitution into line with the actuality of the situation ? Whereby, the economy is such that many women must work for financial reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asset test

Needs to be amended. There are now fathers who are "mothers" after SSM, and SAH Fathers these days surely.

GDPR

What are the state provided benefits for a woman with children who chooses to give up her career ?

Only one I know of is that her husband will get her tax credits. Which is worth very little.

Isn't removal of this constitutional text only bringing the constitution into line with the actuality of the situation ? Whereby, the economy is such that many women must work for financial reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how about bringing reality in line with the Constitution? Why even have a Constitution if we're just going to ignore it?

Politics matters

Right?

How does the state vindicate that right?
The state provides adequate levels of resources to the mother to ensure she doesn't need to leave the home if she doesn't wish to.

It's interesting to think about, I wonder would it be possible for an Irish mother to take legal action against the state for depriving her of the right not to work?

GDPR

I will be voting to keep them- I don't see the problem with them at all. Lets face it most of the work that most women do outside of the home is degrading capitalist drudgery while as motherhood for all it's pains at times is noble and uplifting. Also the concept of motherhood being in part a service to the State and the wider society is a very important one.

New Threads

Most Replies