Is Liam Neeson a racist?

Beachcomber

Is Liam Neeson a racist?

He made some "unforced" comments during a media interview in which he was promoting his new movie. The new movie is tale of revenge, and Neeson told the interviewer about something that he had never declared publicly before - admitting that he once set out to kill any black man who provoked him.

"He had said he walked the streets with a weapon around 40 years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man.".

Is this evidence of racism, or is it what Neeson claims - that "he wanted his original comments to start a wider conversation about racism"?

Liam Neeson says he's 'not racist' after controversial interview - BBC News

"Asked what he wanted people to learn from his experience, he told the host: "To talk. To open up.

We all pretend we're all politically correct in this country...in mine, too. You sometimes just scratch the surface and you discover this racism and bigotry and it's there." "

Lagertha

He's an idiot, whatever about racism, he was very bloody stupid to make these remarks in this day and age. All in all, this is something that happened 40 years ago and has zero relevance today. He said his friend was raped by a black man and he wanted to punish a black man, any black man, it probably would have been the same if it was a Dubliner, a Londoner or an American, who knows,who really cares other than some perpetually outraged fools on Twitter?

OrderoftheDragon

All real Irish people are racist, most of you here are just pretend Irish people......in fact many of you are overtly anti Irish, even though you were probably born here, there's a special word for you !.

Niall996

He's talking about something that happened 40 years ago, so I would say he was racist then but he seems to know better now.

He also said if the perpetrator of the rape had been Irish, a Lithuanian, a Brit, any identifiable group he would have had the same thoughts. So one can take from it what one wants but I don't think there's any evidence that he's a racist today as per the thread title.

John Barnes launches furious defence of Liam Neeson | Daily Mail Online

publicrealm

Is Liam Neeson a racist?

He made some "unforced" comments during a media interview in which he was promoting his new movie. The new movie is tale of revenge, and Neeson told the interviewer about something that he had never declared publicly before - admitting that he once set out to kill any black man who provoked him.

"He had said he walked the streets with a weapon around 40 years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man.".

Is this evidence of racism, or is it what Neeson claims - that "he wanted his original comments to start a wider conversation about racism"?

Liam Neeson says he's 'not racist' after controversial interview - BBC News

"Asked what he wanted people to learn from his experience, he told the host: "To talk. To open up.

We all pretend we're all politically correct in this country...in mine, too. You sometimes just scratch the surface and you discover this racism and bigotry and it's there." "
No - he isn't - at least not based on this story. He made a stupid mistake, unlike the rest of us.

He realised the stupidity of that mistake. Lesson learned.

Beachcomber

He's talking about something that happened 40 years ago, so I would say he was racist then but he seems to know better now.
I don't know that this was specifically about racism, but rather whatever "-ism" it is that makes a person want to punish a group of people because of what one member of that group has done.

What "-ism" is that?

Neeson says he'd have done the same thing if he had discovered that the alleged perp was a member of some other group, but would he really have done so? If his friend had said that the perp was "Scottish" would he have really gone out onto the streets with a weapon hoping to have a confrontation with any Scottish man he could find?

Beachcomber

It's evidence that he's full of shìt.

As if he walked around every day for a week....:rolleyes:

If he says that he did that, then why wouldn't we believe him?

Some are defending him on the basis that he didn't actually harm anyone, but he went out 4-5 times with the intent to use violence against any black person who he could provoke into a confrontation.

Glaucon

No. It happened. He condemned his feelings at the time. The professionally outraged will do what they do best. Everyone else will move on. And his film will probably sell many more tickets than it initially would have done.

Strawberry

I don't know that this was specifically about racism, but rather whatever "-ism" it is that makes a person want to punish a group of people because of what one member of that group has done.

What "-ism" is that?

Neeson says he'd have done the same thing if he had discovered that the alleged perp was a member of some other group, but would he really have done so? If his friend had said that the perp was "Scottish" would he have really gone out onto the streets with a weapon hoping to have a confrontation with any Scottish man he could find?
Tribalism.

Niall996

What "-ism" is that?

What 'ism' was it when the British drove into Croke Park and mowed down footballers and civilians?

Beachcomber

He's an idiot, whatever about racism, he was very bloody stupid to make these remarks in this day and age. All in all, this is something that happened 40 years ago and has zero relevance today. He said his friend was raped by a black man and he wanted to punish a black man, any black man, it probably would have been the same if it was a Dubliner, a Londoner or an American, who knows,who really cares other than some perpetually outraged fools on Twitter?

Is it not odd that he went out looking to find "any" black man to have a confrontation with, but he doesn't apply the same theory to white people?

He didn't say that he would have gone out to take revenge on "any" white person, if the perp had been white. Instead whites get broken down by him into (at least) "Irish or a Scot or a Brit or a Lithuanian".

If it comes down to some concept of collective punishment, seeking out "any" black male to harm is very odd. Do blacks not get the same consideration of nationality, in the way that he does for whites?

His thinking must surely have been "any black will do".

Beachcomber

All real Irish people are racist, most of you here are just pretend Irish people......in fact many of you are overtly anti Irish, even though you were probably born here, there's a special word for you !.
I wasn't born in the ROI.

I'm British.

flavirostris

Yes, he voted for Trump and Brexit.

JimmyFoley

If he says that he did that, then why wouldn't we believe him?

Some are defending him on the basis that he didn't actually harm anyone, but he went out 4-5 times with the intent to use violence against any black person who he could provoke into a confrontation.
Why don't I believe him? Coz if you actually seriously wanted to kill a black man, you'd hardly wait for some 'provocation', would you? You'd just attack him or instigate a confrontation.

And you certainly wouldn't go through such idiocy for a week.

Lagertha

Is it not odd that he went out looking to find "any" black man to have a confrontation with, but he doesn't apply the same theory to white people?

He didn't say that he would have gone out to take revenge on "any" white person, if the perp had been white. Instead whites get broken down by him into (at least) "Irish or a Scot or a Brit or a Lithuanian".

If it comes down to some concept of collective punishment, seeking out "any" black male to harm is very odd. Do blacks not get the same consideration of nationality, in the way that he does for whites?

His thinking must surely have been "any black will do".
That's exactly what he was thinking. I'm not defending the guy, I've always thought he was overrated. My point is that any black man would do, that's if you believe his story and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that I do. But hey, he's on the front page of pretty much every newspaper and all over social media.

Beachcomber

He also said if the perpetrator of the rape had been Irish, a Lithuanian, a Brit, any identifiable group he would have had the same thoughts. So one can take from it what one wants but I don't think there's any evidence that he's a racist today as per the thread title.

John Barnes launches furious defence of Liam Neeson | Daily Mail Online

If he's not racist then why does he not break down black people into groups according to their nationality?

He does this for white people.

He doesn't appear to have thought along the lines of "now was this black person from England, or the USA, or Jamaica, or Kenya, or South Africa?". No - he simply went out looking for a black person to harm.

And how exactly would he know a Lithuanian from a Pole, or from a Ukrainian if he simply went out onto the streets looking for a member of one of these supposedly identifiable groups? He'd be able to spot white people, just as he'd be able to spot black people.

flavirostris

Channel 4 News talking about this. Cathy Newman going full cultural marxist.. 'Aren't we being racist even when we're not racist.. we're unconsciouslessly racist.'

:roll:

Yesterday they had a go at journalist Rod Liddle who wrote a column about how absent fathers are contributing to the violent deaths of young blacks in London.

Basically something that is 100% true. C4 News invited a panel of young blacks on to talk about how he was 'deeply ignorant'.

Most Replies