Is Michael Noonan turning into a Mr. Metaphor?

BringBackNavanMan

Is Michael Noonan turning into a Mr. Metaphor ?

Tomas Mor

What a pity the country did not put him into office in 2002 instead of that snake oil merchant Bertie. We would not be where we are today.

antiestablishmentarian

What a pity the country did not put him into office in 2002 instead of that snake oil merchant Bertie. We would not be where we are today.
He harassed sick people while minister for health during the hepatitis scandal, he's no different from Bertie just less personable and not corrupt.

Tomas Mor

Rocket Man

I was just thinking the other day that he is turning into a parody of himself.
Its almost like he now feels that he has to include a metaphor in every statement he makes or people will be disappointed.

Aside from this though I have to admit he is doing a very good job in his new role.

Social Conscience

he's no different from Bertie just less personable and not corrupt.
Tongue in cheek or not??

Michael Noonan is always likely to spit out the same drivel as whatever FF puppet that is currently in situ. I guess all we can do is judge him if he is given an opportunity after the next GE.

hammer

As long as he doesn`t turn into BIFFO who was clueless and out of his depth on economic matters

Neilob

He harassed sick people while minister for health during the hepatitis scandal, he's no different from Bertie just less personable and not corrupt.

Unfortunately he is politically toxic since the Brigid McCole matter. I'm a bit concerned by the unwelcome return of political dinosaurs in advance of this election and that the Cabinet of 2011 will alarmingly similar to that of 1987, but without Garrett at the top. Fine Gael has plenty of young talent waiting to be exploited. What we don't need is the old failed tired faces of long ago, otherwise it's back to the future. We need new radical new blood and ideas. Alas the alternative is an ever increasing repectable of Sinn Fein. Remember folks, the Shinners are house trained now - so it's time for the old dogs to learn new tricks (if I may be Mr Metaphor).

owedtojoy

He harassed sick people while minister for health during the hepatitis scandal...
So did Brian Cowen, his only achievement in any office that he can't blame on someone else. And he got off scot free. Did he come to Noonan's assistance? No, he probably laughed his a*s off, like the rest of FF.

At least Noonan took the rap ... committed the Irish crime, he got caught.

Cowen made the famous joke that the Dept of Health was "Angola" - one big minefield.

Har, har, Brian, do you still make that joke to Mary when the two are you are well jarred at 3 in the morning?

corelli

Unfortunately he is politically toxic since the Brigid McCole matter. I'm a bit concerned by the unwelcome return of political dinosaurs in advance of this election and that the Cabinet of 2011 will alarmingly similar to that of 1987, but without Garrett at the top. Fine Gael has plenty of young talent waiting to be exploited. What we don't need is the old failed tired faces of long ago, otherwise it's back to the future. We need new radical new blood and ideas. Alas the alternative is an ever increasing repectable of Sinn Fein. Remember folks, the Shinners are house trained now - so it's time for the old dogs to learn new tricks (if I may be Mr Metaphor).
Well, you should know all about political toxicity, shouldn't you! :)

Would you not accept that the old brigade, with exceptions, represent the christian/social democrat/Garret wing of the party rather than the "new breed" right of centre, at least economically, expressed by Vardakar etc?

Neilob

I was just thinking the other day that he is turning into a parody of himself.
Its almost like he now feels that he has to include a metaphor in every statement he makes or people will be disappointed.

Aside from this though I have to admit he is doing a very good job in his new role.
Agree about the parody stuff. I suppose an old school master just can't resist the temptation. It's also worth mentioning that when the Jesuits let in a token few from the 'lower orders' into their posh Limerick School Mr Noonan told them that they were a 'scruffy bunch'. Sometimes harsh words can be cruel.

On another point, I note you are inviting us to sign Fintan O'Toole's petition. Hmmmmmm, don't you think his proposal to replace democratic Government with a 'temporary' regime of wise officials smacks a bit of António de Oliveira Salazar's Portugal? If Michael Somers and Mary Robinson are to reign over us why not ask us first? We are after all only the people not some king of Petrigrad Soviet.

Rocket Man

Agree about the parody stuff. I suppose an old school master just can't resist the temptation. It's also worth mentioning that when the Jesuits let in a token few from the 'lower orders' into their posh Limerick School Mr Noonan told them that they were a 'scruffy bunch'. Sometimes harsh words can be cruel.

On another point, I note you are inviting us to sign Fintan O'Toole's petition. Hmmmmmm, don't you think his proposal to replace democratic Government with a 'temporary' regime of wise officials smacks a bit of António de Oliveira Salazar's Portugal? If Michael Somers and Mary Robinson are to reign over us why not ask us first? We are after all only the people not some king of Petrigrad Soviet.
I don't want to get off the point of this thread Neil, but in relation to your second point, I would have some concerns about his proposal for a temporary regime.
However if you look through his petition this is not one of his ten suggestions for improving government.
It is those that I am urging you to support.

corelli

Would I know all about toxicity? I'm not sure what you mean, I'm just a citizen with an opinion. I find that kind of hostile to be honest.

Yeats was wrong, truly we are a country of old men, and old men have old ideas. I don't think Michael Noonan doesn't really stand for any political ideology that I can perceive, or Sean Barrett or any other of them. Garrett is a doddery but politically incisive political commentator nowadays and doesn't wear the blue shirt. If only he was so articulate back then in the day when we were all confused by odd socks and mad curls. As someone who is disposed to Fine Gael they were unelectable in 1987 after six years of disastrous coalition. Why, oh why would we want to put back in power the old geezers. Let's face it, Michael Noonan is back on the front bench because he cut a deal with Kenny who was too small for the big boot boys around him. The thing I worry about is that Enda will ditch his true talent in favour of loyalists once he gets into office. Not a good idea.

Politics isn't supposed to be tribal. I haven't seen anything at all from Michael Noonan which would convince me he is on top of his brief other than admittedly humorous rhetoric. Richard Bruton worked his ass off while finance spokesman and his commentary on the banking crisis and NAMA was pretty on the ball. Frankly it was he who convinced me that Fine Gael were worth voting for again. Leo Vradkar is also hard working and capable of landing punches on a particularly tough and arrogant front bench. Dr James Reilly has a radical and impressively considered plan for the disfunctional health system. Your policies have impressed me, but your leader hasn't and he and the old guard are going to distract from what is a very important period for our democracy.
Sorry, I mistook you for another poster, hence my initial remark! A pseudo Senator of similar name posts here. :)

Personally, I would trust the old guard in FG more than the new breed, with exceptions. Vardakar et al are a little right wing for me.

The OD

Well Gift Grub picked up on this years ago, his take off used to begin most sentences with 'do you know what you remind me of.....'

He isnt turning into Mr. Metaphor, he's is Mr. Metaphor, not a fan of his, but he does seem to be genuine in his beliefs.

owedtojoy

Unfortunately he is politically toxic since the Brigid McCole matter.... ).
Michael Noonan might justifiably respond that he is the only one who was ever held accountable for Brigid McCole, but the guilt was spread far wider.

His predecessor, Brian Cowen, was never villified the way Noonan was. If the Press had done their jobs, and if the Irish public really cared, then both Cowen and Noonan would have been run out of office.

The civil servants who advised Noonan and Cowen that they had to make a strong stand on behalf of the state were never exposed, got golden handshakes or took enormous unjustified salary increases from the Benchmarking boondoggle.

The political hacks and incompetents who ran the BTSB, and those who appointed them, walked off scot free with their pensions and perks. One prosecution collapsed - something that is easily arranged if you know how.

Of course, ever since Charlie Haughey was elected Taoiseach, even after the Arms Trial, and since AIB wrote off his 1 million pound overdraft the day he became Taoiseach, no one has ever been held accountable for anything in this country - except Michael Noonan.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies