Is Micheál Martin the Worst Opposition Leader in the History of the State?

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
From the worst in opposition to the best leader the country ever had? Could it happen?:shock2:petunia

The Field Marshal

Not at all. There is no shame in admitting one was wrong. On the contrary.
The real looser is the op who since he joined the forum has spectacularly and consistently managed to underestimate political reality .

Ardillaun

Well at least one person was right....... :shock:
Canadian conservatives were split down the middle and the two seats of the PC party were woefully unrepresentative of their vote share, thanks to FPTP. They only came back when one party engulfed the other.

Ardillaun

It looks like Martin is another of the misunderestimated. Tenacity and stamina don't catch the eye but are vital for success. Dubya and Kenny had these attributes as well.

ruserious

Since I started this thread Two years ago, FF have doubled their polling figures. Fair play to MM. I now withdraw my OP.

tipofdiceberg

From the worst in opposition to the best leader the country ever had? Could it happen?:shock2:petunia
Failure wins promotion in political circles
Martin's stint at Health Minister warranted an emergency by the then Cabinet. But he was good at fund raising and shifting money about so Party leader was a natural step.

hammer

Failure wins promotion in political circles
Martin's stint at Health Minister warranted an emergency by the then Cabinet. But he was good at fund raising and shifting money about so Party leader was a natural step.
Amazing that he used a bank account.......................

benroe

Since I started this thread Two years ago, FF have doubled their polling figures. Fair play to MM. I now withdraw my OP.
I think you have made a fundamental error, people in Ireland always vote for Tweedledee or Tweedledum depending on which is worse, not which is best.
So the best you could say about MM is that Kenny's an idiot.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Pious is what he is.....a sly,clever F.F Cork boy, well able to get the dirty digs in when required..:evil:

Nesuno

With FG and Labour down about 10% each on the GE result, and a SF underfire from every angle, one would expect FF to have recovered from their 17% in 2011.

Yet four years on and FF are still stuck on 17% according to the latest RedC poll.

There is literally ample bundles of ammo SF have been allowed to use against the government at the behest of FF.

With a General Election one year away, there is literally not one policy Martin has come up with that sticks out from memory.

Has his position been compromised from his role in the previous FF regime?

Has there ever been a worse leader of the opposition?
Yes. If you believe he's genuine opposition. No. if you want the status quo maintained. It's a cartel carousel.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Micheál Martin driving party as wholesale political change looms
Perhaps the biggest challenge Fianna Fáil faces in the short term is maintaining its strength in the face of significant change among its biggest rivals. Kenny is expected to stand aside as leader of Fine Gael and many expect Gerry Adams will step aside as Sinn Féin leader.Both parties will lose what some see as their biggest liabilities, and Martin’s tenure will, no doubt, come under renewed focus.
this is going to bite them in the ass if they don't change leader before next election. Can they do it quickly without going to members?

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

I think Martin is an asset to Fianna Fáil. They're also sensible enough to recognise that fact, worse luck.

No surprise to observe your continued hatred of rational politics.

:roll:

TheWolf

AS far as I can see, all M.Martin has to offer the country are cowardly attacks on SF by using dead people and rape victims as political tools and keeping a lying FG taoiseach in office.

Remember, this is the inept moron who sat as a minister in the three FF governments who destroyed our country.

The Field Marshal

AS far as I can see, all M.Martin has to offer the country is attacks on SF by using dead people and rape victims as a political tool and keeping a lying FG taoiseach in office.

Remember, this is the tool who sat as a minister in three FF governments who destroyed our country.
Most political leaders attack other political parties that threaten or oppose them.

That all this is news to you indicates political innocence and naiveté of unbelievable proportions on your part.

TheWolf

Most political leaders attack other political parties that threaten or oppose them.

That all this is news to you indicates political innocence and naiveté of unbelievable proportions on your part.
How many political leaders use the sexual abuse of children and dead people to attack a political rival?

Will M. Martin be calling for M. Noonan to resign for failing to report the abuse of 'Grace' to AGS?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies