• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is Micky next as Taoiseach?

Micheál Martin was supremely lucky (Lisbon aside) to get the Foreign Affairs job at just the right time, he has been largely insulated from the worst of the sh1te that has been raining ever since domestically. Many years ago, 1994, a certain property developer and FF donor talked of Martin 'being groomed as a future Taoiseach'. Cowen is listing badly. Is Martin next for the top job, assuming no election?

Mar Tweedy

Micheál Martin was supremely lucky (Lisbon aside) to get the Foreign Affairs job at just the right time, he has been largely insulated from the worst of the sh1te that has been raining ever since domestically. Many years ago, 1994, a certain property developer and FF donor talked of Martin 'being groomed as a future Taoiseach'. Cowen is listing badly. Is Martin next for the top job, assuming no election?
Over Dermot Ahern's body. Thats such an appealing prospect, I hope so!

droghedasouth

Michael Martin will be the first leader of FF not be Taoiseach.

Yosser

Assuming there isn't another election then it wouldn't surprise me. A spoofer of the highest order though. I laughed when he was minister for enterprise and he tried to let on he knew what he was talking about. Another career public servant is not what we need at this time. back yoour point,he is definitely manouvering himself for a go as leader.

Digout

I seem to remember he had some "interesting" dealings with O'Callaghan, so no. Would expect you to know this Toxic..

I seem to remember he had some "interesting" dealings with O'Callaghan, so no. Would expect you to know this Toxic..
O'Callaghan was the man who made the prediction in 1994, him being a major (if not the major) player in Cork FF. Martin has spoke up in his defence in the Dáil on occasions, notably when the Lowry/Coveney and Horgan's Quay controversy broke out. Martin received donations from O'Callaghan, though all above board and declared, no imputation of any wrongdoing.

powderfinger

Let's say Lisbon is lost and/or the Greens are threatening to pull out. Is an election inevitable? And why in the hell would Fine Gael want to clean up FF's mess and get the blame for the austere measures implemented to do so?
National catharsis?

Hal

We're looking for an angel so....where to look...where to look..that is the question.

Mar Tweedy

Much as I'd love to see him beat the pants off Dermot Ahern, I suspect his moment has passed. Micheal Martin V Dermot Ahern, with Brian Lenihan beating both at the last post as concession candidate.

Much as I'd love to see him beat the pants off Dermot Ahern, I suspect his moment has passed. Micheal Martin V Dermot Ahern, with Brian Lenihan beating both at the last post as concession candidate.
Lenihan is too associated with the budget fiasco and the austerity measures, I think his goose is cooked so far as the leadership is concerned. Dermot Ahern is too old now, and a reminder of the 'up every tree in North Dublin' episode would put the kybosh on that.

Mar Tweedy

Lenihan is too associated with the budget fiasco and the austerity measures, I think his goose is cooked so far as the leadership is concerned. Dermot Ahern is too old now, and a reminder of the 'up every tree in North Dublin' episode would put the kybosh on that.
As a non-FFer I've been impressed by Lenihan (tho don't like what he's saying of course). It depends whether the backbenchers blame him or Cowen for the loss of their seats. Dermot may yet be needing the equality authority for advice on age discrimination tee hee.

Digout

O'Callaghan was the man who made the prediction in 1994, him being a major (if not the major) player in Cork FF. Martin has spoke up in his defence in the Dáil on occasions, notably when the Lowry/Coveney and Horgan's Quay controversy broke out. Martin received donations from O'Callaghan, though all above board and declared, no imputation of any wrongdoing.
Did Mickey have to run to the high court over something to do with O'Callaghan?

Digout

I dont think anybody in FF is capable of running a bath, never mind a party.

droghedasouth

Let's say Lisbon is lost and/or the Greens are threatening to pull out. Is an election inevitable? And why in the hell would Fine Gael want to clean up FF's mess and get the blame for the austere measures implemented to do so?
Because that is the difference.
FG want to be in power to make the best possible decisions at a time when politics is very very important.

The difference this time is that no one can ever spin the responsibilty for this calamity away from FF - the catastrophe party.
FG will lead a two term government.
Michael Martin will be lucky to survive being the first FF not to regain power after 1 term in opposition.

Did Mickey have to run to the high court over something to do with O'Callaghan?
I don't think so? There was an issue when Tom Gilmartin slipped up and said he got a six-figure sum from O'Callaghan when he meant a five-figure one. Martin denied he got a five figure sum, but indeed he did (when added up). There was also an issue about why Martin's wife's account was where political donations ended up, I think he said it was common practice then but not now.