• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is midnight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.

St Disibod

Re: Is miunight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

odie1kanobe said:
Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.
Most Church of Ireland churches I know (so those in Dublin) still have midnight mass at the correct hour. But I fully appreciate the reasons why many priests and congregations decide against it.

Joe Ryan

Midnight mass was revived in Wexford at the Franciscan friary this year as a polish mass. By all accounts it was quite successfull and well attended.
The friary was handed over from the Franciscan order to another branch of the franciscan's conventual who have a polish priest who said the mass in polish.

clareman51

Midnight Mass was a late refuge for many drunks falling out of the bars at closing time.
I was at the so-called Midnight Mass at 6.30, where a very drunk individual kept staggering back and forth in front of the altar, until a priest made him sit down.

Rocky

Re: Is miunight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

St Disibod said:
odie1kanobe said:
Most Church of Ireland churches I know (so those in Dublin) still have midnight mass at the correct hour. But I fully appreciate the reasons why many priests and congregations decide against it.
They use to have midnight mass at my local Catholic Church up until a few years ago, but a load of drunks kept going to it and all the crap that went with that, so they stopped holding it.

Ard-Taoiseach

I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!

Ard-Taoiseach said:
I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

Er No Midnight mass is at midnight not at 10pm.

Ronanr

No, it is not.

What you went to was a Christmas Eve "Vigil Mass".

it is not Midnight Mass unless it starts at 12.00 Midnight

Ard-Taoiseach

Ronanr said:
No, it is not.

What you went to was a Christmas Eve "Vigil Mass".

it is not Midnight Mass unless it starts at 12.00 Midnight
They called it Midnight Mass, though.

meriwether

Ard-Taoiseach said:

GDP is falling, and people are praying a hell of a lot more?
Anyone else see a correlation?

gaelach

meriwether said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:

Are GDP is falling? :shock2:

Ronanr

I suppose if the priest had called it "Caligula's Big Christmas Eve Gang-Bang and Orgy" you would have believed that too?

Ard-Taoiseach

Ronanr said:
I suppose if the priest had called it "Caligula's Big Christmas Eve Gang-Bang and Orgy" you would have believed that too?
You're being ridiculous, :lol: , it did end at around Midnight, so from the other perspective, it still was a Midnight Mass, but in expectation.

Ard-Taoiseach

gaelach said:
meriwether said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:

No it isn't gaelach, it expanded in the third quarter compared to the second quarter. The third quarter this year saw 4.1% more goods/services produced than last year. As I keep telling people, the boom goes on!

gaelach

Ard-Taoiseach said:
gaelach said:
meriwether said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":rx3kbklv]I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

No it isn't gaelach, it expanded in the third quarter compared to the second quarter. The third quarter this year saw 4.1% more goods/services produced than last year. As I keep telling people, the boom goes on![/quote:rx3kbklv]

*phew*

I thought we were in a recession and nobody told me....

Ard-Taoiseach

gaelach said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
gaelach said:
meriwether said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":5obul1hy]I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

No it isn't gaelach, it expanded in the third quarter compared to the second quarter. The third quarter this year saw 4.1% more goods/services produced than last year. As I keep telling people, the boom goes on!
*phew*

I thought we were in a recession and nobody told me....[/quote:5obul1hy]

kerrynorth will probably tell you, or whenever we're "skirting" with one, whenever that'll be, 2020 probably.

cllr

Thankfully Midnight Mass is still going strong in Donnybrook where I live and to which I have been going for about 37 years now.

chriskavo

Does anyone know if there is a midnight mass on tonight anywhere in Dublin or is it dead as the thread says?