Is midnight mass on Christmas Eve dead ?

Ó Donnchadha

And what did you imagine they did instead?

Episcopalians (Anglicans) are catholic, just not 'Roman' catholics.

Catholic Lite, less taste , less filling.

Alan Alda

Rambo, look in the mirror and repeat after me, I am a big loser.
Thats hardly very christian , is it ?
The guy has his beliefs . Who are you ? Pontius Pilate ? King Herod ?
A troll ?
This thread is one of the few , where his post was not off topic .
You are not off topic either , in fairness , your just being a bit of a di(k .
With respect .

DownTheyGo

Just wondering are there many places that do it or has it been done away with in favour of a pm vigil mass.
I noticed people in their droves this evening heading for what had to be 9pm Mass, in an area where once midnight mass was the next coming, but now I guess not.

The question is, have the popular numbers changed any? My own view on this time of year, unlikely.

Alan Alda

I noticed people in their droves this evening heading for what had to be 9pm Mass, in an area where once midnight mass was the next coming, but now I guess not.

The question is, have the popular numbers changed any? My own view on this time of year, unlikely.
Christmas certainly brings out the catholic in us paddies . Even I was tempted .
The 9pm or 6pm mass certainly should make us/them pause for thought.
Wotsit all about ? Facilitating drunk lazy catholics?
What kind of silly religion works its schedule to suit the plans of sinful hypocrites ?

SideysGhost

.What kind of silly religion works its schedule to suit the plans of sinful hypocrites ?
Hah, great line!

First Christmas in 38 years when I've been away from moronic Paddy religious/family nonsense. Such a relief!

Great day out, one of the flatmates is a chef so round to a friend's house. many beers, Al cooked a great feed, down to the beach for some more beers...no pretending to like your family or stupid baby jesus stuff, just a chilled day in the sun. Excellent!

Gurdiev

Was at a stunningly beautiful Midnight Mass (Latin, but new rite) at the Oxford Oratory last night, absolutely packed even before the carols started an hour before Mass. Certainly not dead here...
I was at the Brompton Oratory Latin mass last year , the choir and music were stunningly beautiful. There's something quite rare and special about midnight, I don't think the early evenings are a real substitute .

Tawdy

I actually attended our Midnight Mass in our Parish. We had it at ten o'clock at night, and that was after a half-seven vigil. I was told by a neighbour that the Vigil was packed out, and the Vigil I went to was very very well attended. I'm a regular Mass-goer, and attendance was up about 200% on usual levels, which are quite healthy in themselves.

Midnight Mass is alive and well where I live!

What`s Outer Mongolia like at this time of year?

Tawdy

Arogant and incorrect. Hey what's new from the liberals round here. Just being to mass at eleven and all reading were from the midnight mass. The vigil mass readings are different. So you can have midnight mass before midnight.

You can have it at any time you like and call it midnight or midday, whatever! A collaboration of kiddies fiddelers (sic) meeting with their supporters is waht i call it.

SideysGhost

The interesting thing about a lot of these threads on p.ie...not just religion but politics too...is that there seem to be a lot of people in Ireland who want to be slaves, who want to be controlled and told what to do by a Massa (FF/FG, the Brits, the Romans, the EU...all just manifestations of the same impulse towards servility), who don't want to have to think and decide for themselves.

Maybe this is a universal thing in many human societies, maybe it isn't. I think what would be interesting if there was some way to discover if this is a genetic thing, or purely a result of childhood indoctrination/conditioning. Maybe for early human societies to function 200,000 years ago, a certain proportion of the tribe had to be born docile and easily led. Or maybe it's entirely something that was stumbled upon as a means of social control once we discovered agriculture and started settling into towns and cities 6,000 years ago, and has perpetuated itself since....but in which case, why are some people seemingly naturally much more resistant to the programming?

This it seems to me is a more useful and productive line of enquiry than howling mad gibberish about invisible sky elves.

Frosty1

Catholic Lite, less taste , less filling.
Incorrect depends on what anglican church it is the one you are referring to is the anglo catholic one they have an actual mass and communion boxes and all. The ones here are not like that.

Frosty1

As far as I understand it , the Anglican Catholic Church has everything that tHe Roman church has , except The Pope .
No they don't! Why are people from down south so uneducated about protestants?! Anglicans in the low church don't have much catholic things as far as i know they say they are catholic but they're more protestant what your thinking on is the anglo catholic high church they have an actual mass and they use rosaries and all, the anglican churches you find here don't do any of that.

Frosty1

I thought it wasn't called "Mass" in the Protestant churches....
The anglican church is split up theres a low church and a high church the ones down south would be more high well in dublin anyway, the ones here are low the low church is more or less protestant the high church pretty much fails to be protestant they might aswell join the catholic church because they have prayer? nights and massse and all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom