Is Ming a contender

the agent

Just a question for you guys in the know over there in Roscommon. I know its a 3 seater, but has luke Ming Flanagan got any realistic chance of a seat in the next GE, I heard he got huge roars of approval at the roscommon hospital protest a few weeks back, attended by several thousand, if does have a chance who is the most vunerable, I believe the sitting 3 are Naughton (FG) Feighan (FG) Devins (FF)

proon4

I think if there was an election in the morning Ming would top the poll and be elected on the first count.... Such is the anger of the roscommon people over the threat to their hospital.... Ming for me

Máistir na Cruinne

Recently, at work, the subject of Councillor Luke Flanagan aka Ming the Merciless, erstwhile champion of people's right to smoke hash and, I suppose, anything else that tickles their fancy, came up. I had noticed over the years that he now concerns himself with bread and butter issues, such as hospital closures, cut backs in public services, turbary rights etc.

"What's with Ming now?", I asked a collegue who happens to live in Roscommon, "you never hear a word from him anymore about legalising marjuana". "He grew up", she replied.

turdsl

It is hard to fathom yet, but most people i talk to have nothing but praise for him. A senior retired member of the Gardai and a F.G supporter met him at a count a few elections back, he told me he was highly impressed by Ming, this is the way most people at the moment are describing him,

spidermom

Not in the constituency mind...but would depend on when the GE is called.

With the apathy towards all main stream political parties now...the Indo's could do well.
In a 3 seater though, I would doubt whether he could win a seat...and indeed I would wonder whether the Indo's will hold any sway, as the current crop do. But funny things do happen!!!

'orebel

It is hard to fathom yet, but most people i talk to have nothing but praise for him. A senior retired member of the Gardai and a F.G supporter met him at a count a few elections back, he told me he was highly impressed by Ming, this is the way most people at the moment are describing him,
What's so hard to fathom? He's a nice likeable guy who's interested, involved in, and fighting for his community. He just happens to enjoy relaxing with a spliff instead of a pint.
To think that Frank Fahy got elected ahead of Luke in Galway('97 IIRC) should make people think twice before making their mark on a ballot paper again.

Goban Saor

Recently, at work, the subject of Councillor Luke Flanagan aka Ming the Merciless, erstwhile champion of people's right to smoke hash and, I suppose, anything else that tickles their fancy, came up. I had noticed over the years that he now concerns himself with bread and butter issues, such as hospital closures, cut backs in public services, turbary rights etc.

"What's with Ming now?", I asked a collegue who happens to live in Roscommon, "you never hear a word from him anymore about legalising marjuana". "He grew up", she replied.
Recently on television about weed.

I'd vote Ming.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
He could very well do. People are really thrashing about looking for something/someone different.

Anyone listen to Joe Duffy yesterday.. people were complaining about some Government plan to spend a million digging a tunnel under a road into the Dail, when some plonker of a councillor from Clare from FG came on, praising the idea. People went ballistic with the "Jesus FF are bad, but what Opposition have we?"

In that frame of mind, people like Ming have a chance. Up to now, he's been seen as too "anti establishment" to get the "sensible" peoples votes.. but a spell as Chairman of Roscommon county council will be a real help to him there.

'orebel

He could very well do. People are really thrashing about looking for something/someone different.

Anyone listen to Joe Duffy yesterday.. people were complaining about some Government plan to spend a million digging a tunnel under a road into the Dail, when some plonker of a councillor from Clare from FG came on, praising the idea. People went ballistic with the "Jesus FF are bad, but what Opposition have we?"

In that frame of mind, people like Ming have a chance. Up to now, he's been seen as too "anti establishment" to get the "sensible" peoples votes.. but a spell as Chairman of Roscommon county council will be a real help to him there.
I'm assuming he was voted into office by his fellow councillers. How did this happen? Local representatives are not known for their tolerance of 'yokels' from outside their circle. He must command quite a lot of respect. Deservedly so, imo

Máistir na Cruinne

I see he's refusing to say the prayer that is traditionally recited by the mayor/cathaoirleach of the county council at the start of every council meeting. Isn't that scandalous?

Munnkeyman

Recently on television about weed.

I'd vote Ming.
http://www.politics.ie/culture-community/134829-flanagan-refuses-recite-prayer-council-chamber-5.html#post2900049
Originally posted by Bagel
Check out this video.
Its 88 mins long and the final few minutes may not download.
I enjoyed it.
The Life and Crimes of Citizen Ming
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUUDjbqu3M]YouTube - The Life And Crimes of Citizen Ming: Part 1/10[/ame]

I thought I'd re-post the link to that and it's on Youtube in ten parts.

It's Luke Flanagan on the campaign trail during the Galway West constituency in 1997, the Connaught Ulster constituency in the European elections of 1999 and the Longford-Roscommon constituency in the 2002 Dáil election.
Will he be as unfavourably portrayed in the media now as he was then?
He was locked out of RTE debates in the Galway studios.

Luke Flanagan "RTE are a shower of bastards an you can quote me on that"
I would like to see him elected and think it is a possibility.

Baron von Biffo

Roscommon elected independent, Tom Foxe twice as a 'save the hospital' candidate so he could have a good shot at it on that ticket. It's unlikely that the next government will need to buy off Inds though so he could wind up a voice in the wilderness.

spidermom

I see he's refusing to say the prayer that is traditionally recited by the mayor/cathaoirleach of the county council at the start of every council meeting. Isn't that scandalous?
Might further increase his first preferences..one would have thought??

johnfás

Seemed as cute hoor as the rest of them when he was on the tv a while ago about cutting turf.

'orebel

Seemed as cute hoor as the rest of them when he was on the tv a while ago about cutting turf.
Why? For having his spake as the head of the small turfcutters group?

'orebel

gombeennation

that was interesting about being locked out of the RTE debate on the radio. why did RTE have the call on who participated?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies