Is Newgrange a fake?

Truth.ie

The outer wall is dry stone construction.
If the council had not done work by way of filling some stone joints the monument would not be safe to visit and all that would be left of it by now would be 1 metre high walls instead of 4 metre high walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grianan_of_Aileach
The Council said it was to prevent stones falling on the public.
Victim of the compensation culture I suppose.
Either way, it looked like they just hired some Brickie's apprentice to to do the job.

(Friday, September 22) Grianan restoration 'gross act of cultural vandalism' - Derry Journal

Alphonse

Dowth is in a bit of a state really it was never put back together properly after excavation there are massive lumps out of it but its free to see. There is huge henge near by aswell in two massive half circles on someones property. Knowth seems like a real puzzle though. Newgrange is in ok considering it's age I think some reconstruction is fair enough.

Catalpast

The light box at Newgrange was a 'best guess' as to what the purpose of the structure was

- its pretty well inconceivable that there would not have been something along those lines at the time it was built.

The outer wall façade is entirely speculative

- but at least its visually appealing

Like many ancient monuments Newgrange was used over the Millennia for different purposes by different peoples and cultures

- so a Celtic-Romano Cult site does not preclude others uses before or since

After all today it is a Tourist Site....:cool:

Visited twice - back in the 80s and about 10 years ago

Very impressive IMO!

firefly123

You miss the point entirely.
The majority of people accept that the burial site is authentic.

Some people have questioned aspects of the major reconstruction that occurred.

My own view is that the interior of the passage grave is genuine.

The exterior including the massive white stone wall surrounding the entrance is in my view very questionable as to its authenticity.

It looks very dramatic but I just do not believe that is what the monument looked like 5000 years ago.
That wall is an entire reconstruction based on an achaelologists fanciful imagination.
You mean you don't remember what it looked like when it was new? You're younger than I thought fieldy!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
There is more myth than record about the whole Celtic thing pre 800 AD ... the canonical material before that is little more than fairytale

There is no rational basis for the amount of importance Irish people attach to their supposed Celtic heritage...the plebitariat knew little of that world before 1850

cyp

shiel

There is more myth than record about the whole Celtic thing pre 800 AD ... the canonical material before that is little more than fairytale

There is no rational basis for the amount of importance Irish people attach to their supposed Celtic heritage...the plebitariat knew little of that world before 1850

cyp
New Grange is thousands of years pre-Celtic.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ah f*ck. First I find that Guinness Irish Stout was invented by Covent Garden porters and now this.

Lucky we're left with the Brehon Laws which are the oldest extant legal system in Europe or I'd be fairly downcast altogether.

All rise for a gallop round a Druid.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I love these threads that try to remove cultural pillars of Irishness. What a lonely furrow to plow.

You could take away every ringfort, standing stone, bean si wall and story but at the end of it all you would still find Irish people gravitating to a social group anywhere in the world.

Some people are jealous of that. :)

The Field Marshal

The Council said it was to prevent stones falling on the public.
Victim of the compensation culture I suppose.
Either way, it looked like they just hired some Brickie's apprentice to to do the job.

(Friday, September 22) Grianan restoration 'gross act of cultural vandalism' - Derry Journal
The OPW generally do a good job and have restored preserved many such like monuments across the country.

[The critic M Hannon mentioned in your link is not an archaelogist but a sculptor].

I agree Griannan Ailleach is a bit of a disappointment but it simply is not possible to use dry stone walling techniques on a monument of that kind and leave them safely accessible to the public.

IMV a balance has to be struck and I think the OPW have done the best that was possible given the inherent constraints of the monuments loose structure.

If the Mr Hannons of this world got their way then monuments like Griannan Ailleach would not normally be accessible to the public.

storybud1

I love these threads that try to remove cultural pillars of Irishness. What a lonely furrow to plow.

You could take away every ringfort, standing stone, bean si wall and story but at the end of it all you would still find Irish people gravitating to a social group anywhere in the world.

Some people are jealous of that. :)
It is the Irish SLimes printing it after all,, they hate anything traditionally Oirish,

The Field Marshal

You mean you don't remember what it looked like when it was new? You're younger than I thought fieldy!

[ Have a Happy Christmas anyway]

GDPR

It is the Irish SLimes printing it after all,, they hate anything traditionally Oirish,

When was Newgrange traditionally "oirish"?

It was built by the neolithic farmers who were exactly the same as those in England, Scotland and Wales.

And who provided the major part of our DNA, not the Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings etc.

shiel

It was built by the neolithic farmers who were exactly the same as those in England, Scotland and Wales.

And who provided the major part of our DNA, not the Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings etc.
It is indeed amazing that the vast majority of us have stone age genes from the time New Grange was built.

A very high proportion of the people on the neighbouring island have similar stone age genes.

Puts a lot of things in perspective.

GDPR

It is indeed amazing that the vast majority of us have stone age genes from the time New Grange was built.

A very high proportion of the people on the neighbouring island have similar stone age genes.

Its all politics.

Most of us in these Islands came originally from the Black Sea.

The same Stone Age settlers.

gerhard dengler

It puts nothing else in perspective actually.

between the bridges

'Older than Giza' they said, must have meant Gazza, mind you if it had been in nordieland she'd be heated by now...

firefly123

So you are saying the English, Welsh and Scottish were Irish too? ;-)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies