Is Noonan really powerless or just disinterested?

stakerwallace

Noonan will be going out on a fine big pension himself soon enough.
Along with a lot of other government members.
That might explain the arse scratching indifference.
You don't do the right thing when it comes back to bite your own arse.
Noonan need not have stuck around until now to have received his pension. He has been in the Public Service since he was 21

Hewson

Wy don't the government just take their money back, or at least threaten to unless the bank does its housekeeping?
It's a bit late in the day, but really the current banks should have been dumped on the scrapheap and a new state bank set up, developed and eventually sold off to a private buyer.

Too late now. But the government need to start cracking skulls among our banking glitterati.

Franzoni

Noonan need not have stuck around until now to have received his pension. He has been in the Public Service since he was 21
And therein lies the problem with a lot of our government ministers....no real world experience in how to deal with these parasites in the banks...

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

So Noonan is powerless when it comes to bankers pay, bonuses and pensions, he's also powerless to release the supposed letter from the ECB and he's powerless to get a deal on Bank debt and must wait for the approval of others...

Yet he's not powerless to sink €1.3 billion into Irish Life, €2.3 billion in Irish Life and Permanent, to sink almost €10 billion in recapitalisations into Irish banks or to put €509 million into the ESM.

Of course Noonan is full of sh*t... but always was anyway.

VHF

So Noonan is powerless when it comes to bankers pay, bonuses and pensions, he's also powerless to release the supposed letter from the ECB and he's powerless to get a deal on Bank debt and must wait for the approval of others...

Yet he's not powerless to sink €1.3 billion into Irish Life, €2.3 billion in Irish Life and Permanent, to sink almost €10 billion in recapitalisations into Irish banks or to put €509 million into the ESM.

Although trumpeted as an important breakthrough the announcement by Michael Noonan on the 30th March that a deal had been struck to relieve the bank debt pressure on the Irish taxpayer the deal was a stitch up. Ireland continues to pay €3.1bn every year to the bondholders of private banking debt.

[video=youtube;92ZJh78aND4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZJh78aND4[/video]
Remember Noonan and his FG party position in relation to bondholders when FG were in opposition? Allow me to remind you:

[video=youtube;yjhxp-JJqDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhxp-JJqDo[/video]

Disillusioned democrat

Yeah, and he wasn't powerless when it came to dipping into my pension and taking 4% out of it, or powerless to impose an insurance levy to pay off Quinn's insurance joke, or powerless to allow all government contracts to be reduced by 15%.

We're being ridden to ensure the cancer of "corporate Ireland" survives unscathed throughout this one-sided crisis.

VHF

Did I just hear a penny dropping?

WannabChe

Did anyone really expect anything different from Noonan, you must remember the bankers aren't seriously ill women that he can hound into their graves.

Analyzer

Remember Noonan and his FG party position in relation to bondholders when FG were in opposition? Allow me to remind you:

Up there with Leo "not another red cent" Varadkar.

FG are just a colleciton of liars.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Of course he's not powerless, he's lying (yet again), he could do something very simple in the budget. He could say all unearnt income (pensions, welfare payouts etc.) above the AIW were subject to a high tax rate. That of course would also impact his political cronies, so this lazy inept government aren't going to do it.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

"The position has now become indefensible" - Michael Noonan on the continued payment of odious debt by Irish people, Dec 2010 - 3 months before he entered government.

stakerwallace

That's scary....how can someone who has been cosseted for as long as he has be any use in the "real world"?
I wonder what you mean by the 'real world' ? I suspect you are implying that he was in an esoteric ivory tower somewhere. Most of his working life has been in Dail Eireann, I gather.

Hewson

I wonder what you mean by the 'real world' ? I suspect you are implying that he was in an esoteric ivory tower somewhere. Most of his working life has been in Dail Eireann, I gather.
And you think Dail Eireann is the political equivalent of a coal mine, do you?

stakerwallace

Of course he's not powerless, he's lying (yet again), he could do something very simple in the budget. He could say all unearnt income (pensions, welfare payouts etc.) above the AIW were subject to a high tax rate. That of course would also impact his political cronies, so this lazy inept government aren't going to do it.
That would bloody well impact on me! Up the yard.

stakerwallace

And you think Dail Eireann is the political equivalent of a coal mine, do you?

Have you ever been to a politician's clinic and seen the swathe of humanity with all its ills, wants, complaints, and requests that are present? Not exactly separated from the realities of life, I should think.

tigerben

That's about as much a excuse as a parent saying they can't control their children , it can be done, it's the bother of doing so is too much.

GDPR

Up there with Leo "not another red cent" Varadkar.

FG are just a colleciton of liars.
Well you know when it was pointed out at the time that this was exactly what they were doing, just lying and playing to the gallery, what with the whooping and ahollering of posters here cheering them on, no one was for listening.

Have lessons been learned I wonder......... somehow I doubt it.

Hewson

Have you ever been to a politician's clinic and seen the swathe of humanity with all its ills, wants, complaints, and requests that are present? Not exactly separated from the realities of life, I should think.
A few hours with the great unwashed is a small price to pay for the perks that go with the overly-generous salaries available to TDs, and particularly ministers.

One of the reasons our pleas for debt relief are rarely taken seriously is down to the largesse our politicians and higher CS bestow on themselves. Is there some hidden gold mine of talent in Enda Kenny that makes him worth more than the Chancellor of Europe's biggest economy? Does Brian Hayes have some nugget of genius hidden behind that 'duuuuhhh' expression he perpetually wears?

And then there's Lucinda . . .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies