Is Noonan really powerless or just disinterested?

patslatt

Bizarre statement by Noonan....seemingly government "powerless" to influence the banks it has bailed out with tax payers money. They have shovelled billions of tax payers money into a pit and yet have no "power" over the banks. The advice seems to be that we should just grin and bear it as the banks screw us over time and again.

Noonan: 'I'm powerless to tackle bankers' pay & perks' - National News - Independent.ie

The government have an overwhelming majority in the Dail and a majority stake in the banks....but have no power?

That doesn't add up. It seems the only power they do have is to pretend things will just get better and in the meantime clock up €3m pension entitlements.
Voting for left wing and populist politicians fosters a statist culture of entitlement.

Spanner Island

Where there's a will there's a way.

The sad fact here is that there is no will within our rotten 'establishment' to take on the w*nker bankers...

If their contracts are water tight then tax the sh!t out of their pensions...

Noonan and the rest of the parasites continuously insult us all by coming out with horse sh!te like this...

It should escape nobody that when any of the vested interests appear on the firing line all sorts of issues immediately materialise while no such issues seem to arise when middle Ireland is stuck in the cross hairs of the parasites...

The people in middle Ireland are being screwed by those taking the p!ss at the top and throughout our rotten 'establishment' as well as the freeloaders at the bottom who think the world owes them a living...

Noonan should be ashamed of expressing such a defeatist load of sh!te in the national media...

He should be finding a way to screw these people instead of pleading helplessness while he and his ilk continue to have no problem in continuing to screw the rest of us relentlessly...

Last edited:

patslatt

Well you know when it was pointed out at the time that this was exactly what they were doing, just lying and playing to the gallery, what with the whooping and ahollering of posters here cheering them on, no one was for listening.

Have lessons been learned I wonder......... somehow I doubt it.
There's no honour among Irish politicians. They never resign for blunders in their ministries,allowing culpable civil servants to blunder on and even get promoted.

stakerwallace

A few hours with the great unwashed is a small price to pay for the perks that go with the overly-generous salaries available to TDs, and particularly ministers.

One of the reasons our pleas for debt relief are rarely taken seriously is down to the largesse our politicians and higher CS bestow on themselves. Is there some hidden gold mine of talent in Enda Kenny that makes him worth more than the Chancellor of Europe's biggest economy? Does Brian Hayes have some nugget of genius hidden behind that 'duuuuhhh' expression he perpetually wears?

And then there's Lucinda . . .
I wash very regularly , thank you very much. Well made points otherwise. However, it is open to anyone to seek election and the populace seem to want it like that by voting in quite large numbers.

GDPR

Fine Gael blaming Fianna Fail for the Deal Fianna Fail did with the corrupt banks.
Very largely the banks were not corrupt, just a bit stupid.

Fianna fianna Fail blaming Fine Gael for implimenting Fianna Fails policies.
Times moves on, the situation changes and the realities change, such as the ongoing attitude of the ECB/EU, the new reality of Spain and Italy being involved in possible "bailouts" and so on.

Idiot Party's, the both of them - and idiot voters who vote for Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.
But please, don't let any of the above change your opinions, bash away.

patslatt

The sad fact here is that there is no will within our rotten 'establishment' to take on the w*nker bankers...

If their contracts are water tight then tax the sh!t out of their pensions...

Noonan and the rest of the parasites continuously insult us all by coming out with horse sh!te like this...

It should escape nobody that when any of the vested interests appear on the firing line all sorts of issues immediately materialise while no such issues seem to arise when middle Ireland is stuck in the cross hairs of the parasites...

The people in middle Ireland are being screwed by those taking the p!ss at the top and throughout our rotten 'establishment' as well as the freeloaders at the bottom who think the world owes them a living...

Noonan should be ashamed of expressing such a defeatist load of sh!te in the national media...

He should be finding a way to screw these people instead of pleading helplessness while he and his ilk have no problem in continuing to screw the rest of us relentlessly...
Voting for left wing and populist politicians fosters a statist culture of entitlement.

stakerwallace

Why do RTE have Fainna assho!es on their shows as opposition to Fine Gael?

It's absurd - tweedle dee and tweedle dum. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail are a joke.
I'm not laughing, especially as FF will make a comeback of sorts at the next locals.

GDPR

There's no honour among Irish politicians. They never resign for blunders in their ministries,allowing culpable civil servants to blunder on and even get promoted.
They don't but it's not as if we had a Dail of 6 or 700 to choose from, if they did resign at the drop of a hat you'd soon be down to some very scraggy ends for Ministers.
The thing that amazes me about them, on all sides, is when dealing with senior civil servants or senior bankers or themselves, they have this very high opinion of themselves and the "professional" classes in general and seem to genuinely think they're worth it, against all the evidence.

VHF

It's not the politicians, it's the people who vote whilst wilfully ignoring which political party has caused at least a couple of decades of destruction to this nation and the next generation.

stakerwallace

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are only interested in their own self-perpetuation and the perpetuation of the 26 county Free State - all to the detriment of Ireland.
At last some praise.:D

partnership

On the one hand I understand that he should not be able to interfere with their contracts as if he can do it in their case he can do it to everyone else as well. But wait he did it to the public servants with a stroke of the pen so therefore there is no reason he cannot do it to the bankers!

Last edited:

Rocky

That's the crap you always get from the opposition and to be fair Fine Gael and Labour were as bad at it. Then when they get into government, suddenly, there is actually no way after all and it's always like that. Romney is pulling the same stunt at the moment.

GDPR

Times have not moved on for the State and the state it's in - but please, be an apologist for Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.

The State deserves these Party's - but Ireland doesn't.
We vote for them in very large numbers, they represent us, in very large numbers, it would appear that we, in very large numbers, think they do a reasonable job in whatever circumstances they find themselves.

Maybe your problem is with the people rather than the political parties, but that is a different sort of problem altogether.

stakerwallace

You do realise that the 26 county State has to fall in order for Ireland to rise again?
Thaat's not going to happen: don't waste your life waiting for it either. The south is a very self-satisfied entity, present troubles apart, and any disturbance of that status would provoke a considerable reaction from its conservative body politic, and indeed, from its largely conservative populace. The population haven't been voting FF, FG, LP and PD in large numbers over the years and yet at the same time secretely nurturing a swathe of revolutionary longings at the back of their heads.

wheels

Taking our money and using it to prop up their private pension funds is quite simply a misappropriation of funds. It is theft. It has to be illegal to take someone else's money and use it for your own personal benefit. The money should be refunded immediately.

stakerwallace

Taking our money and using it to prop up their private pension funds is quite simply a misappropriation of funds. It is theft. It has to be illegal to take someone else's money and use it for your own personal benefit. The money should be refunded immediately.
Best to test it in the courts, eriously! I was expecting some case in this area. Did I miss one?

Disillusioned democrat

I wonder what you mean by the 'real world' ? I suspect you are implying that he was in an esoteric ivory tower somewhere. Most of his working life has been in Dail Eireann, I gather.
In the real world you have to meet budget targets, will be held accountable for failure and don't have an endless supply of tax money to cover your mistakes.

In the real world you don't have the safety net of a decent pension long before 65, or is it 68, 70, 72 these days?

In the real world you don't get 20 weeks holidays, you don't get paid extra just for turning up and don't get money to give your family for dong your own job.

In the real world you don't get to hand your job onto your kids.

In the real world you don't.....you know...get to piss off the person who pays your salary.

cabledude

Let's suppose you're right re FG (even if every single opinion poll disagrees with you) who will replace them? FF? SF? Labour according to you will also be gone, so you're hoping for a FF/SF coalition?
The opinion polls are relevant, today. We have 3 budgets and who knows what to come before the next G.E.

In three years time most people know their stuff predict that the next financial crisis in Ireland will be massive mortgage defaults. FG/Lab will rightfully take most of the blame for this because we can all see it happening, yet they are sitting on their hands.

I would hope for a FF/SF coalition about as much as I would hope to loose my job and house on the same day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies