Is our entire approach to Politics just simply Bonkers?

Foghorn

I was listening to some of the material on the radio yesterday evening regarding the Budget. True to form there were was an array of criticisms, which is hardly surprising given what we knew in advance. This was not going to be a give-away budget.

I heard one in particular which I thought illustrated a point. One woman is trying to toilet train here child. Apparently it will save her €7 (per week or month?) when she is done. But over the same period the new measures have reduced here income €10.

Basically the upshot then, consequentially from what she is saying, is that Irish taxation as it is being formulated in the midst of an economic crisis, is in conflict with the toilet training of her child! I kid thee not!

Are we absolutely bonkers? Have state grants, reliefs, welfare and other interventions gone to the point of absurdity, so that the every issue is somehow the fault of the state - that it is always in conflict with the citizens?

I heard someone else pointing out this morning that his disability has been cut and that it was hardly his fault that he was disabled. Fair enough! But it is hardly the fault of the State either.

Have we poisoned the waters of our future with discontent? Are we now defined by what differentiates us as a people to the point that we can no longer remember what it was that once united us?

darkhorse

Its true
Our nanny state has created a helpless nation of spongers and hangers on
Any assistance by the State given to anyone should be considered a bonus and not a right
And the State would gladly have continued this ad infinitum had they not bankrupted themselves in the process
Some hard lessons in reality lie ahead

Social Conscience

Our complete systems of governance is broken - there can be no complaints from anyone on that.

There is a massive need for a new political party - a new alternative for the people but while saying that I have to admit that party politics have destroyed the first republic. Therefore is it really a new political force that is required??

Joe/Jane Public need to take back the power but with at least 30-40% (possibly even more) of these people relying on national media outlets like RTÉ, Sindo etc to tell them the ‘truth’ and what is ‘really’ happening in their own backyard we are in a Catch 22 scenario.

We certainly need a chance and very quickly but I don't see the will in the people.

I have a mate who is heavily involved in FG in Cork. I asked him straight out yesterday is there a willingness within FG to set up a ‘commission of truth’ type body to look at what happened over the past 10 years and to make sure bankers/developers/politicians are jailed. His response was stark in its honesty - No way he said because some of our guys also have their fingers in the pie. I GIVE UP.

daveL

depends on the type of state you want to live in

Usually the person lamenting the nanny state is in permanent employment and in full health with zero experience of disabled, misfortunate or needy people close to them.

Personal experience can change a person's view very rapidly and educate them as to how this state fundamentally fails its citizens.

FrankSpeaks

Its true
Our nanny state has created a helpless nation of spongers and hangers on
Any assistance by the State given to anyone should be considered a bonus and not a right
And the State would gladly have continued this ad infinitum had they not bankrupted themselves in the process
Some hard lessons in reality lie ahead
+1, we have too many spongers who expect their every need to be catered for by the state.

TradCat

davel

It's very clear the kind of state we wanted to live it. One where milk and honey flowed from the system and house prices kept going up. That's what we voted for. What we must learn is that you can't vote your wishes true.

If you want to spend a euro in one place you have to take it from somewhere else. The state can do a lot but it can't do everything it has been doing. We need to decide what matters most. Right now it looks like pensioners.

Foghorn

depends on the type of state you want to live in

Usually the person lamenting the nanny state is in permanent employment and in full health with zero experience of disabled, misfortunate or needy people close to them.

Personal experience can change a person's view very rapidly and educate them as to how this state fundamentally fails its citizens.
I don't agree with this in the slightest .............. it has an assumption that some have a monoply on hardship and it has built up its own strawman - "the person lamenting the nanny state is in permanent employment ".

Quite simply Social Welfare has poisoned society and now it has poisoned Government too. The relationship between Social Welfare recipients and the Government of the State is akin to that of a drug addict and his supplier.

What comes across is just how dependent folks are on Welfare. You can't even cut a few quid a month of it (and that is not an exaggeration) without people ringing in to say how hard it will hit them! What does that say of how it has empowered people? What kind of liberty is that?

If the State is seen as the solution to the problems of our lives then I think that we can resonably conclude, based on the history of this country and others, that such a solution has nop basis. The State as a solution is an empty promise.

New Threads

Most Replies