• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is our political 'culture' dying ?

TonyBird

What say ye ?

My opinion is 'yes' .
It feels strange , even to type this but I miss the old days ,when it was FF vs FG/Lab . Domestic politics . God bless'em .

Seriously though . I am aware that times are changing and we need to be 'radical' .However is anyone else here 'astounded' by the 180 degree turns taken by the 'opposition' in a matter of days ?

I appreciate we have to be 'pragmatic'

but are we being 'pragmatic to the point of 'recklessness' ?

ie , the point where we will swallow just about anything .

Ingersoll

Our political culture is rotten to the core - we should hope that it is dying.

I don't think so though. Political change will only happen through a mass movement and universal public desire for change, and the Irish are too apathetic to drive the change.

Far too many of the electorate are not engaged in politics at all - preferring to spend their free time with the Guinness and X-factor ************************************************. As long as we prefer titillation to debate, as long as people don't care enough to become informed we are condemned to endure the conveyor-belt of incompetence/greed/arrogance, that passes for the Irish political system.

TonyBird

I am all for 'Change' I am just baffled by the speed of it all . Youd almost think it was all planned a long time ago .

Kevin Doyle

I am all for 'Change' I am just baffled by the speed of it all . Youd almost think it was all planned a long time ago .
What 'change' are you talking about?

Vincent Browne's tie

Their personnel may be fairly poor, but I'd like to see Fine Gael get a proper crack of the whip with their 'out there' policies, plus would be nice to see them having a go at ridding us of 26 TDs, ministerial cars and the Seanad.

Vincent Browne's tie

Now that you mention it , perhaps an FF dictatorship isnt so bad :D
I'm not totally against a consensus, I want the budget deficit to be reduced,

and it's obvious none of our wimp politicians will be able shave so much as a shilling off the welfare budget without a 'protect each other's backs' consensus.

And sadly with around €5 billion in cuts alone (not including taxes) being touted, pensions and dole are going to have to be snipped a little, unless they scrap the CPA.

So for now I'd nearly be happier to let them work it out together, as opposed to the alternative of FF over compensating by slashing the capital program whilst Enda whines on about some Sligo man on a trolley or Eamon Gilmore waffling BS about taxing the end of the rainbow.

Cael

What say ye ?

My opinion is 'yes' .
It feels strange , even to type this but I miss the old days ,when it was FF vs FG/Lab . Domestic politics . God bless'em .

Seriously though . I am aware that times are changing and we need to be 'radical' .However is anyone else here 'astounded' by the 180 degree turns taken by the 'opposition' in a matter of days ?

I appreciate we have to be 'pragmatic'

but are we being 'pragmatic to the point of 'recklessness' ?

ie , the point where we will swallow just about anything .
The thing is that it never was "our" political culture. It was the political culture of the ruling elite, which was imposed on the majority by a combination of terror and brainwashing.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

Cael

Terror is overrated, we can only be killed once.

My brain has been well rinsed out, more than once. :)
I agree about terror, but it is very effective if you never actually have to use it. In Ireland, brute state terror is the base on which media and uneducational system mental terror is based.

myksav

I agree about terror, but it is very effective if you never actually have to use it. In Ireland, brute state terror is the base on which media and uneducational system mental terror is based.
Yeah, ya can't go anywhere in Ireland without bumping into our stasi and having papers demanded every few minutes. Tis a sheer terror to step outside the door. And that's if they haven't kicked in your door and brutally arrested you, in the first place.

Worse than Stalin era Soviet Union.

ocoonassa

Political change will only happen through a mass movement and universal public desire for change, and the Irish are too apathetic to drive the change.
I blame Rupert Murdoch, RTÉ and the rest of the consolidated corporate media, if people are getting the information at all it just isn't presented in a way that would make them inclined to be angry. (Unless it's false information about disco wallabies or cats that got dyed pink and then they're whipped up into frenzy by the media in no time.)

kerdasi amaq

Actually, this state is founded on bribery. The population has bas been bought off, on the promise that if they support their party, they'll be taken care of if they need assistance.

Those that can't be bought, leave.

One other thing, the main political parties here, are not capable of independent action.

Ulster-Lad

Political Culture?? more like 'Political Vultures"

Kalan

NO

Our political culture is not dying; its as corrupt now as it ever was.

TonyBird

Yes our 'political culture' is quite shallow and corrupt but at least it was 'ours' to some degree . In theory at least, we could have shaped it and built it . Now we cant . Its not 'ours' anymore .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies