Is race an issue in Irish elections?

Bertie's Hat

I've noticed that ethnic minorities often do very badly when they run for election in Ireland.

In the last local election a number of candidates of Indian and African ethnic origin ran and the only one I am aware of getting elected is Edmond Lukasa for Sinn Fein. Additionally some eastern Europeans ran and didn't do well.

Obviously a big issue here is likely to be less connection to the community/party due to maybe not being in Ireland as long as someone whose family was Fine Gael born and bred for example. Or weaker understanding of how to play the electoral game in the constituency, again due to being a newer arrival.

However is any of the lack of success driven by racism? If a candidate was selected to run by a major party and was well integrated in the community, would many voters be put off by their race?

Counterexamples might be Leo Varadkar and Moosajee Bhanjee as both were elected as TDs?

Sidenote: I have noticed a number of ethnjc minority MPs in the HoC.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Breanainn

I wouldn't think so, after all non-Irish migration to Britain occurred straight after WW2, but it took until the Seventies/Eighties for them to become a significant presence in the political and sporting spheres. It may take 20-30 years, but all parties here will select candidates from ethnic communities when integration into society has become a fait accompli.

Dorcha

Quite the contrary, I would imagine. The expectation is that they will be better because they are different, but, alas, we are finding out that politicians are the same no matter what their origin. You mention Moosajee Bhanjee from Clare and he is a case in point. I heard him on the radio once, defending politician's salaries.

darkhorse

Yes
Kerry natives like the Healy-Rea's probably wouldn't do so well in my home county of Dublin

Bertie's Hat

I wouldn't think so, after all non-Irish migration to Britain occurred straight after WW2, but it took until the Seventies/Eighties for them to become a significant presence in the political and sporting spheres. It may take 20-30 years, but all parties here will select candidates from ethnic communities when integration into society has become a fait accompli.
Certainly yes, I am only now starting to see ethnic minorities starting out of college at work for example - when I was at school there wasn't a single non-white face.

I probably should have stated in the original post that many ethnic minorities run as independents. However even those running for FF, FG etc seem to do badly.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Nitrogen

Galway races

Dame_Enda

At the end of the day candidate selection is a matter for political parties. It is my opinion that dynastic politics is an obstacle to outsiders (by which I mean those not historically part of ruling families of the State) - whether economic, social or ethnic - getting on candidate lists in political parties.

Leo Varadkar is actually mixed race.

Cai

People vote strictly on party lines in the UK & FPTP gives you only a choice of one person from your own part. You could put up a sack of manure for Labour in Liverpool Riverside or Neath & it would get elected.

puffin

Some Irish Americans when commenting on certainly have a obsession with racial purity, to the extreme veiw of shipping out Northern prods, hold on a minute, I was told to go back on the boat, last night on this site, I wonder was he , she , a yank.

Niall996

Some Irish Americans when commenting on certainly have a obsession with racial purity, to the extreme veiw of shipping out Northern prods, hold on a minute, I was told to go back on the boat, last night on this site, I wonder was he , she , a yank.
Reminds me of the Northern Prods in the US campaigning and rioting to keep Irish Catholics out of the US.

Betson

Counterexamples might be Leo Varadkar and Moosajee Bhanjee as both were elected as TDs?

Bhanjee had one of the best slogans of any election candidate , it was something along the lines of 'You have had the cowboys in the Dail , now try the Indian'

Catalpast

That is hardly possible when we encourage 'Diversity'

- and not Integration :|

Dame_Enda

If someone was to propose a quota system for ethnic minority recruitment as candidates, I doubt very much it would pass the Dail, because they would be voting away some of their seats. Its a bit like the Principality of Transylvania where the ethnic Romanians were excluded from political power. (except the Romanians were probably the majority and native unlike here).

Last edited:

*EPIC SUCCESS*

If I thought for a second an immigrant could do a decent job of it I'd give them a chance, absolutely.

Perhaps race is an issue for some, for me, its ability and policies.

bormotello

BTW, I never would vote for Russian candidate only because he is Russian and I know a lot migrants who will do exactly the same
I know that some communities like Nigerian and Romanian will do, but they don't have usually enough votes to play race only card
In 2010 AfroIrish had enough votes for at least one candidate in Dublin West, so every major party put Nigerian candidate(one guy is missing from photo), as result was mutual annihilation

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies