• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is Saturday voting a good or bad idea?

TommyO'Brien

Some groups have been calling for weekend voting for years. The Children referendum was held on a Saturday and got a woeful turnout.

So what is your feeling on Saturday voting?

Is it still a good idea, or bad idea, or what? (This isn't a thread about the children referendum itself, just on the issue of Saturday voting, which is why it is in the elections forum.)

Personally I have been skeptical about the idea of Saturday voting. The feedback I got from family and friends about it this time was uniformly negative.

1. People found it inconvenient. Many people have existing plans for Saturdays - from going to sports to attending weddings (many people choose to have weddings at the weekend if they can). They found it a nuisance having to fit in a trip to the polling station given their normal schedule for Saturdays. Weekdays they found OK because for many they could pop into the polling station going to or coming from work. But for quite a few it involved adding in an additional journey on a busy day.

2. Childcare was a problem. While weekday voting closes down some schools not all schools are closed, so many parents are unaffected and even those that are if they have kids at different types of school may only have to cope with having one child home. On the weekend they have all their kids to look after as all the schools are closed.

3. Human beings are creatures of habit and are used to Thursday or Friday voting - which as I said they can fit in while going to or coming from work. Some people intended to vote later in the day but entirely forgot because Saturday voting was so unusual. (One guy on a website described his and his wife's day - from involvement in sports to arranging events for kids to sitting down watching Saturday night TV. It entirely slipped his and his wife's mind. They were sitting in front of the TV when they suddenly remembered but by then the polling station was closed. Those of us interested in politics may always remember these things. But many people don't follow the news rigidly and don't watch the news bulletin, so it simply slipped their mind.

My gut feeling is that Saturday voting is not worth using again. People are better able to accommodate voting on a work day. Weekends, with schools closed and other things happening are just now suited for voting.

What say you?

Hewson

Personally, I think Friday is the optimum voting day. People are mentally buoyed up and looking forward to a free weekend. The idea of taking time to vote doesn't seem such a drag. That includes students coming home from college.

Edo

Should have been on a Sunday if its going to be the weekend- thats what the rest of Europe do.

saturday is a "doing" day for many people - also the polls should have opened at 7am - not 9 - a lot of people still work on Saturdays - we're not all civil servants working 9-5 monday to friday

Just shows how out of touch many people are who organise these things

Also - can we not get some kind of postal / absentee ballot going? - or hold it over 2 weeks - surely it should be possible to cast your ballot in the local garda station or county council offices..............

Its hard to read much into this.........the vast majority of the country weren't interested in this referendum........the political parties did nothing outside tokenism and the people of this country took their queue from the political parties total disinterest - if people really wanted to vote - they would have made it a priority to do so........witness the queues in the US for the election just gone

Hewson

Should have been on a Sunday if its going to be the weekend- thats what the rest of Europe do.

saturday is a "doing" day for many people - also the polls should have opened at 7am - not 9 - a lot of people still work on Saturdays - we're not all civil servants working 9-5 monday to friday

Just shows how out of touch many people are who organise these things

Also - can we not get some kind of postal / absentee ballot going? - or hold it over 2 weeks - surely it should be possible to cast your ballot in the local garda station or county council offices..............

Its hard to read much into this.........the vast majority of the country weren't interested in this referendum........the political parties did nothing outside tokenism and the people of this country took their queue from the political parties total disinterest - if people really wanted to vote - they would have made it a priority to do so........witness the queues in the US for the election just gone
Lots of valid points there. I hope the decision makers read your post.

commonman

I had to drive 50km yesterday to vote, some people just dont care, would be nice to see every body come out and vote, maybe if it was taken of them if they missed 3 elections in a row.

lying eyes

If it was a vote on abolishing childrens allowances, there would be 80% plus outturn, even if it was on CHRISTMAS DAY. THere is the message /simple as//////

wombat

Personally, I think Friday is the optimum voting day. .
I would have no problem with Friday, Sat, or Sunday. I work in construction so I am never based in Dublin. I always vote and it involves coming home on a Thursday night to vote. I'm too lazy to go back to work on a Friday so it means that I lose a few hours on Thursday + all day Friday. Most of the people I work with don't bother voting, for obvious reasons. I have argued this point with politicians for years but the attitude has always been tough, next question.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Is Sunday voting a problem for many Protestant voters? Shouldn't we be at least thinking about how society might be run if there was a united Ireland?

I think many poeple travel at weekends also - for that reason I would rule out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

If voting is held in schools, I don't see why the school has to close - why not just use the school hall for voting with classes operating as normal in the rest of the school? It's not as if voting will be loud and disruptive to school activities.

wombat

To be honest, if it had been on a Thursday and I was out of town I would not have bothered. That said, I voted on the way down to do the lotto, same effort for both actions, some ordeal:lol:

Con Gallagher

A Friday would seem to be the optimal day with polls open 7am to 10pm (there were reports of nurses turning up to vote before 9 am). If students are too think to add their names to the voting register where they live, then at least they could travel home to vote.

People should vote in the constituency where they live rather than the one they hail from - that might improve turnout (as would deleting people from former addresses who notified the council of their move).

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
My gut feeling is that Saturday voting is not worth using again. People are better able to accommodate voting on a work day. Weekends, with schools closed and other things happening are just now suited for voting.

What say you?
Not sure Saturday was the reason for a low turnout, but weekday voting does seem to work better.

PlanetBertie

People should vote in the constituency where they live rather than the one they hail from - that might improve turnout (as would deleting people from former addresses who notified the council of their move).
That would have saved Joseph and Mary making that long trek home.

Edo

To be honest, if it had been on a Thursday and I was out of town I would not have bothered. That said, I voted on the way down to do the lotto, same effort for both actions, some ordeal:lol:
indeed - my polling station is on the way to town and work - I called in and voted in the late afternoon - I would have voted earlier on the way back from work ( night shift - 10 to 7) - but the polling station didn't open until 9am - 4 sets of friends of mine who live 2 minutes from the polling station - including one couple who live right beside it - didnt vote at all - they weren't away - just couldn't be bothered................which is why it is very hard to to make a judgement on the success or failure of saturday voting.........if it had been something closer to the irish heart...ie anything concerning cash...........the turnout would have been much higher - most people weren't bothered........its not surprising really.

Personally - the sooner we get on to full electonic/internet voting the better - the Swiss and Estonians already do this - in Switzerland you get your password in the post with your voting card and you have the option of either registering and voting online up to the ballot day or casting a paper ballot on the day itself - in Estonia - you use your identity card which has a magnetic strip and you can vote from home if you have a swipe reader attached to your PC.............its the future and the sooner we get there the better

then again - this democracy doesn't ask for much in return for citizenship - just pay your taxes and cast your vote every now and again - its laziness and me-feinism that kept the turnout down on saturday - most people - particularly young people - couldn't having been arsed voting...............

Red_93

Friday voting is a simple solution. It is still a week day, so no different from before, and a majority of students ought to be able to get home in time to vote.

NYCKY

I think given the campaign and voter antipathy it's hard to say for this particular vote. I mean I am not sure that turnout would have been much better had the vote taken place on a weekday.

If I recall correctly, June 15th is used for the European elections (every 5 years) and also recently for council elections. Why not make this an annual voting day and a bank holiday to boot (in a voting year)? It could be used for Presidential elections and referenda also. It wouldn't necessarily always work for general elections or by-election but sometimes it would.

TommyO'Brien

I think given the campaign and voter antipathy it's hard to say for this particular vote. I mean I am not sure that turnout would have been much better had the vote taken place on a weekday.

If I recall correctly, June 15th is used for the European elections (every 5 years) and also recently for council elections. Why not make this an annual voting day and a bank holiday to boot (in a voting year)? It could be used for Presidential elections and referenda also. It wouldn't necessarily always work for general elections or by-election but sometimes it would.
Not workable. While the European elections and local elections operate by specific collective terms, other votes don't facilitate that. Referendums may be needed at any time. Presidential elections were traditionally held every May/June but the death of President Erskine Childers and the resignations of Presidents Ó Dálaigh and Robinson have meant the term now ends in November. It would take a constitutional amendment to time votes by date rather than running from 7 years from the date of entry of the previous president.

There are also solid reasons to avoid linking the presidential term and presidential election to other elections - it would overly party politicise it.

ygargarin

Is Sunday voting a problem for many Protestant voters? Shouldn't we be at least thinking about how society might be run if there was a united Ireland?

I think many poeple travel at weekends also - for that reason I would rule out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

If voting is held in schools, I don't see why the school has to close - why not just use the school hall for voting with classes operating as normal in the rest of the school? It's not as if voting will be loud and disruptive to school activities.
Who suggested sunday voting? I imagine sunday turnout would be similar to saturday.

Most primary schools do not have a "school hall".

Check out how they do it in the six counties.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies