• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is Slovenia now on the brink?

Shqiptar

Cyprus gave us the C for SICPIG. Slovenia might let us turn the acronym into a plural.

In the last few days, as a result of the hamfisted Cypriot bailout/in/whatever, the Adriatic country has seen its borrowing costs soar to unsustainable levels. See the graph below, the 10Ys are up by 250 basis points and are now - being just below those of bailed out Portugal - at an unsustainable level.

There's no doubt that the Cypriot bailout is a game changer. I expected the next big mini-crisis would be brought about by an Italian downgrade as a result of that country being paralysed by the inability to form a government. I didn't expect it to be caused by the head honchos in Frankfurt and Brussels.

See the killer line at the end of the Guardian article?

After Slovenia, who's next? The research house Capital Economics has its money on Malta and Luxembourg.
Sources:
1. When Is A "Unique Template" Bailout Not A Bailout? When It's In Slovenia | Zero Hedge
2. Slovenia could be next candidate for eurozone bailout | World news | guardian.co.uk
3. Investors afraid Slovenia will be next for bailout - CBS News
4. Heavy-handed Cyprus bailout puts pressure on Slovenia | EurActiv
5. Slovenia Government Bonds | Slovenia Government Bonds Yields

Ribeye

What a load of rubbish, sure only yesterday a Slovenian govt spokesman said that they wouldn't need a bailout,

And that's good enough for me,

devoutcapitalist

What a load of rubbish, sure only yesterday a Slovenian govt spokesman said that they wouldn't need a bailout,

And that's good enough for me,
it was good enough for me also in november 2010 when dermot ahern and noel dempsey were denying that ireland didn't need a bailout...lol, oh wait a minute. As for slovenia let the fun and games begin.

sic transit

Isn't this just a set of links from people looking to bet big on yet another EU country? All sorts of wobbles this week and a bit of sulking by Moodys. All coulds and maybes at present and generating new Google content.

Clanrickard

it was good enough for me also in november 2010 when dermot ahern and noel dempsey were denying that ireland didn't need a bailout...lol, oh wait a minute. As for slovenia let the fun and games begin.
Not much fun if you are Slovenian

sic transit

They have a budget deficit of 4.4%

Slovenia Government Budget

They have to borrow 1.5 billion euro to make ends meet. And interest rates for them are going to 5%. Meaning cost of borrowing is 75 million a year, per year.

Each 1% increase in rates adds 15 million euro.

I think they'll manage.
Indeed. This is what a "little learning" gets us.

Shqiptar

They have a budget deficit of 4.4%

Slovenia Government Budget

They have to borrow 1.5 billion euro to make ends meet. And interest rates for them are going to 5%. Meaning cost of borrowing is 75 million a year, per year.

Each 1% increase in rates adds 15 million euro.

I think they'll manage.
Where are you getting that figure from? They have bonds of 2 billion maturing in the middle of this year.

Shqiptar

I think Ribeye was being ironic but I could be wrong. :cool:

Analyzer

I bet they even have pillar banks.

seabhcan

Where are you getting that figure from? They have bonds of 2 billion maturing in the middle of this year.
1.5 billion is their budget deficit.

2 billion additional borrowing will cost them 100 million. But not additionally, as they are paying something in interest on this money already - probably 4%. So when they roll it over at 5%, it will cost them an extra 20 million a year.

Not the end of the world. I think they'll be fine.

Shpake

Is Estonia in the Euro? They could fulfill a valuable role in the field of image management and public relations. If they were to go bust then we would be the PIGGIES. sounds so much nicer. No that won't work. we need an extra G... gibralter? ghana? :)

Shqiptar

2 billion additional borrowing will cost them 100 million. But not additionally, as they are paying something in interest on this money already - probably 4%. So when they roll it over at 5%, it will cost them an extra 20 million a year.

According to the IMF, Slovenia will need $3.6 billion in funding this year and its banks will need another $1.2 billion.
Investors afraid Slovenia will be next for bailout - CBS News

publicrealm

Is Estonia in the Euro? They could fulfill a valuable role in the field of image management and public relations. If they were to go bust then we would be the PIGGIES. sounds so much nicer. No that won't work. we need an extra G... gibralter? ghana? :)

And we are the little piggy that went to the market - who gets to go wee wee wee? Is France in the frame?

sic transit

Investors are afraid all the time and this is just conjecture for now. As with our own massive 14% for 10 year bonds, it's a fairly irrelevant value until you try to issue them.

Shqiptar

Where's the 5% rollover figure coming from? Note that yield curve inversion has already occurred for Slovenia. 2 year and 5 year yields are greater than 10Ys.

Sustainable debt is not defined by figures-looking-kinda-small. It's whether growth in the economy can keep the debt/GDP ratio in hand. The Slovene economy is set to shrink by 2% this year.