Is speaking languages other than English a health & safety risk

Congalltee

Monoglots despise bilingual people and their second (and subsequent) languages.

Those serving customers can be directed to speak in the language of the customer (unless it's Irish or Welsh) but some weirdo companies extend the language restriction to the staff room.

Wasn't a gaelgoir barman constructively dismissed last year for speaking in his native language?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

Yes it seems - or at least according to Sports Direct - Sports Direct 'English-only' note in Bangor store probed - BBC News

It's got them in a bit of legal bother though.

Are they right, or do they deserve the little legal problem that's heading their way?
It would be reasonable to insist that communications regarding safety issues be in a language understood by all staff, but applying the restriction to personal conversations is unnecessary. Heavy handed staff management seems to be a feature of the retail trade.

Orbit v2

Similar issues have arisen here in relation to staff speaking languages like Polish (also in the retail trade :roll:), and I seem to remember Irish (I think a pub). It's ridiculous.

Politics matters

Mongolots despise bilingual people and their second (and subsequent) languages.

Those serving customers can be directed to speak in the language of the customer (unless it's Irish or Welsh) but some weirdo companies extend the language restriction to the staff room.

Wasn't a gaelgoir barman constructively dismissed last year for speaking in his native language?
Why would they be "weirdo's" for having such a policy.

Poles and the like should only speak English in the workplace, for obvious reasons.

Spirit Of Newgrange

paddycomeback

From my experience most people in that area converse in Welsh. Unlike the self-hating West Brits here they are proud of their language and don't just pay lip service to it.
I'm just surprised the Lingua Franca of Sports Direct isn't Polish.

Politics matters

Why are employees responsible for paranoia of other staff in the staff room while on a break?
Why don't foreign nationals speak the native tongue so as to avoid such misunderstandings?

Why do we have to be so overly tolerant about such trivial
issues?

I remember a few years in my gym(county council owned) the management decided to display signs in Polish.

It was pathetic and unnecessary, the place only employed two Poles and they have a fair amount of Polish customers who can no doubt speak English.

Dearghoul

Why don't foreign nationals speak the native tongue so as to avoid such misunderstandings?

Why do we have to be so overly tolerant about such trivial
issues?

I remember a few years in my gym(county council owned) the management decided to display signs in Polish.

It was pathetic and unnecessary, the place only employed two Poles and they have a fair amount of Polish customers who can no doubt speak English.
I can see it as a safety concern in places where big heavy stuff is moving round on the end of a crane or where safety advice needs to be understood. Other than that, if management of a concern want to show welcome and inclusive with signs in Polish or whatever their employee base happens to be, then thats their right and maybe a sign of good intentions.

Doubt it would happen in Poland however.

Congalltee

There's two types who hate Polish in the workplace:
1) bigotted anti-immigration types.
2) those who think employment is indentured servitude and employers rule 9 to 5 (or whatever hours they impose)

McSlaggart

Yes it seems - or at least according to Sports Direct - Sports Direct 'English-only' note in Bangor store probed - BBC News

It's got them in a bit of legal bother though.

Are they right, or do they deserve the little legal problem that's heading their way?
I was in a Tesco store in Wales and my English friend told the staff to stop speaking Welsh. He told them the Tesco was English so they need to speak English.

I did manage to get him out of the store alive.....

General Urko

Health and safety, security and insurance excuses can be used to virtually justfy anything!

popular1

Unless they are in Poland, the signs should all be English only.
I wonder would they be so patriotic if they were paid polish rates of pay
They want it every way , Irish wages but polish language when it suits them

Spirit Of Newgrange

e
There's two types who hate Polish in the workplace:
1) bigotted anti-immigration types.
2) those who think employment is indentured servitude and employers rule 9 to 5 (or whatever hours they impose)
do you think you may also find some of number 1 based back in the home country to the East of Germany ?

Half Nelson

Congalltee

e

do you think you may also find some of number 1 based back in the home country to the East of Germany ?
I suspect that in Austria and Czech Republic there is resentment, from uneducated bigots, of those who have moved from Poland and other countries. I'm sure there are some in Poland who despise immigrants to Poland e.g. there are illegal restrictions of foreign ownership of agricultural property. However, none of that justifies forcing any Polish worker to speak English during their breaks, whether in Ireland or Wales or anywhere else. The boss doesn't own you. And bigots can PFO.

New Threads

Most Replies