Is the average human height lower in Cork?

The Field Marshal

About 10 years ago I spent a week living in Cork City.

My own height is 5-10 +1/2 inches,being one half inch above the average male Irish height.

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two items came to my notice during my travels on foot around Cork City.

One.

Many of the doorway heights in houses appeared to be slightly lower than in Dublin.
I also had the impression that many of the floor to ceiling heights in these buildings were lower too

Two

Whilst walking down crowded streets I got the feeling of being taller since I could see farther over the heads of the crowd then when I would be walking down Dublins streets.

The natural conclusion from such an observation was the people on those Cork streets were in general below the average heights of people on Dublins streets.

I have no measurements whatsoever to back up my observations which are entirely experiental & visually based.

Given the Corkonians penchant for boasting Im convinced now that much of this is the small man syndrome and that the stunted growth patterns so evident in the human population of Cork are the result of an impoverished local diet.

I would be interested to know if any other posters have had similiar experiences in cities outside the Pale.

Last edited:

uriah

My own height is 5-101/2 inches,being one half inch above the average male Irish height.

One.

Many of the doorway heights in houses appeared to be slightly lower than in Dublin.
I also had the impression that many of the floor to ceiling heights in these buildings were lower too

Two

Whilst walking down crowded streets I got the feeling of being taller since I could see farther over the heads of the crowd then when I would be walking down Dublins streets.

The natural conclusion from such an observation was the people on those Cork streets were in general below the average heights of people on Dublins streets.

I have no measurements whatsoever to back up my observations which are entirely experiental & visually based.

Given the Corkonians penchant for boasting Im convinced now that much of this is the small man syndrome and that the stunted growth patterns so evident in the human population of Cork are the result of an impoverished local diet.

I would be interested to know if any other posters have had similiar experiences in cities outside the Pale.

Have you 'lived' in other parts of the world? Did you make any observations in other places?

dónal na geallaí

Havent a clue,but would be surprised if the average Irish male was much above 5ft 9in.Remember reading about Montenegro a while back.The article mentioned that they were far and away the tallest people in Europe and the men averaged just under 6ft.I spent some time in the south of the USA and met some gigantic specimens.But their height did not preclude boasting,alas,so much for your precious theory!

DaveMc

;)Howya boy, in Cork we tries to keep our head out of the clouds like!

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
Look at this slightly differently, the houses in Dublin have taller doors so the dubs can fit their big heads through them.

Skypeme

If they are shorter then nature has probably compensated by 'gifting' them with an inflated ego. :)

ManfredJudge

Havent a clue,but would be surprised if the average Irish male was much above 5ft 9in.Remember reading about Montenegro a while back.The article mentioned that they were far and away the tallest people in Europe and the men averaged just under 6ft.
Average for the Netherlands is 6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m).

myksav

I haven't noticed much height difference between Cork or Dublin people. I'm excluding people not native to the cities, either rural or foreign migrants.

I have noticed height differences between urban (cities) and rural Irish, the rural being somewhat taller and heavier in build.

eoghanacht

Jaysus, i know the world cup hasn't caught the imagination yet, but for christs sake FT this is a ridiculous thread. Read a book FT, if your that bored instead of posing inane questions

spidermom

I'm five foot and a fist...I should move to Cork!
...:)

(mad thread...have to say!...deserves to be in chat!...)

ibis

I guess it depends on the tourists.

LiquidPaddy

:lol::lol::lol:
Is this like a variant on the story where Fr Ted tries to explain to Fr Dougal how these sheep are small but those are far away?

Interista

Average for the Netherlands is 6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m).
To be honest, I find that hard to believe. The Dutch are certainly tall, but an average height of 1.85m is really very tall indeed. I dont' think the average Dutch man is 10cm taller than the average Irishman.

About the people of fmr Yugoslavia, they are also very tall, but my impression from travelling there is that there is much more varation in height than in other 'tall' countries like Holland or Denmark. In these places, the majority of people are somewhat taller than elsewhere in Europe, and there aren't many shorties. In Serbia, however, I found that while some people are giants, others are quite short. So while the average height may be among the highest in the world, there are plenty of not so tall people though. This was just my impression, of course, it may not be borne out by the stats.

The people of the Dalmatioan coast in Croatia are enormously tall.

slx

Cork's old buildings are a different architectural style to Dublin. Maybe you can see over people's heads because the streets aren't flat. A lit of Corks streets are hilly, even on the central island they're not dead flat.

Old city centre dubliners and corkonians are smaller though. It's possibly a larger influence from places like France, Southern England etc on the local genetics!

Sure cork people still use French intonation and ask questions by sticking "hien?" at the end of a statement :)

paulp

My own height is 5-101/2 inches,being one half inch above the average male Irish height.

One.

Two

strange thread, but I think your sample is too small,
I've also been to Cork and if I compare my perception of the height of people in Cork with the height of people in some other city, it doesn't mean Cork people are smaller
For example, I was in Bangalore and Cork recently and felt there was no difference in the average height of a person from the two cities.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Height of Nonsense

Maybe the CSO (now based in Cork!) should include it as a new Census question the next time around?

Why not go for another question on weight as well?

The amount of obese Dubs would win that one hands-down! :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies