• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is the C- word acceptable?

stopdoingstuff

There is currently a thread going on about Mary Lou MacDonald's and the word "dick". It got me thinking about the C-word- no not cannabis, but c*nt. Irish people, being far more civilized that other people, swear quite frequently. Swearing can be an art form and for some people it can even be the basis of a career, and it should definitely form a significant part of our national curriculum, but there is at least one expletive that has traditionally been the cause of outrage and that is of course the C word. So what do we think? Is the c-word grossly offensive? Should it be banned from the airwaves? Should be its social usage be discouraged? Or is it just another swear word to which one should not overreact?

R

Ramps

V. Browne has some very strong feelings about the use of that particular word!

Have to say, though there is no particular reason why it should be so, I find that word to be very crude and vulgar.

theObserver@hotmail.com

There is currently a thread going on about Mary Lou MacDonald's and the word "dick". It got me thinking about the C-word- no not cannabis, but c*nt. Irish people, being far more civilized that other people, swear quite frequently. Swearing can be an art form and for some people it can even be the basis of a career, and it should definitely form a significant part of our national curriculum, but there is at least one expletive that has traditionally been the cause of outrage and that is of course the C word. So what do we think? Is the c-word grossly offensive? Should it be banned from the airwaves? Should be its social usage be discouraged? Or is it just another swear word to which one should not overreact?
It should be held in reserve for when you really really want to insult a women :).

Politics matters

In America the C word is never used, in Britain and Ireland it's alot more relaxed. I do find Women using the word to be disgusting, I remember when I started work, and the owl wans with real Dublin accents were using it in the Cafeteria, I found it to be revolting TBH.

Last edited:
It should be held in reserve for when you really really want to insult a women :).
Or to turn her on; I've known some American women to positively squeal when it's used in context.

Sister Mercedes

In Ireland, the F word and the C word are used in everyday conversation. So how do people express real outrage? They hit or they spit.

Personally, I think reserving the C word for the highest outrage would cut down on the hitting and spitting.

westernyelp

I'm not offended by any particular word and I don't see why you should be. I like the C word. It is quite visceral and often produces a satisfying reaction.

Bea C

It is a word I used always hate - but the past few years I've started using it an awful lot.
Always to describe women :oops:

JamieD

I absolutely love the word! It is one of the most POWERFUL insults ever. Unlike other great words like c**ksucker and motherf**ker and so on, it has not lost its cutting edge!

But being serious, no word should ever be banned, ever. It's just a word. It's just a sound you can make and nobody in the world has the right NOT to be offended. THAT being said I don't stroll around the public square yelling C*NT but I'm an adult so if I did, I'd have much bigger problems.

Fr.Ted Crilly

The 'c' word better be acceptable because God knows we have enough of them in FG/Lab royally screwing up the country.
There's no other word that describes them so well.

C*nts, the lot of them.

eskrimador

Remember watching a programme on TV3 (I think) some years ago. It was called Seany something and looked at different aspects of modern Irish life. In this episode he discussed swearing. During a vox pop he asked this extremely posh woman, at St Stephen's Green, what her favourite swear word was. Amazingly, she said the c word.

Politics matters

Or turn her on; I've known some American women to positively squeal when it's used in context.
The only America movie that I can recall it being used is in that super hero flick, Kick Ass by some twelve year old girl, it was met with controversy to say the least.

n a different time, it even found its way onto the names of streets.

Wiki "gropec*nt lane".

RahenyFG

I love the c word. Really express how much of an eejit a person is.

The only America movie that I can recall it being used is in that super hero flick, Kick Ass by some twelve year old girl, it was met with controversy to say the least.
Ah, but when you're getting down and dirty with an American girl, the word suddenly has a different effect.

greenbacks

The Exorcist used it to devastating effect when Regan turns her head around 360 degrees and says " You know what she did?..your cun*ing daughter".

[video=youtube_share;8V15LhufEwY]http://youtu.be/8V15LhufEwY[/video]