Is the Dail serving any useful function

Socratus O' Pericles

This is roughly speaking an essay title I came across. The jist of it is, if the Government are making decisions at Cabinet level (NAMA, Permitted alcohol level, etc. etc.), whipping their own TD's into line and then ramming it down everyone else’s throat {using the guillotine and rejecting all Private Members Bills and even offers of discussions e.g. discussions were offered prior to the Ceann Comhairle being forced to resign which were declined by the Taoiseach thereby hanging there own guy out to dry} then is there any point in the Dail sitting at all-why don’t they just go home and be glorified County Councillors?

I suppose an example of when a Backbencher did some good was when Gilmore took O’Donoghue down-but then proper regulation would have done that anyway

Digout

No, the Dail is a just a massive trough for the snouts of the pigs to feed in. Its a traitors convention centre.

True Republican

No its a useless talking shop, thats why Ireland needs a dictatorship.

atlantic

Its about as useful as tits on a bull.It's full of economic morons and spivvers that couldn't run a bath right never mind a country.All we need in this country are few good businessmen and a couple of good accountants to run this country, not 166 dumbass spoofers.

Stendec

This is roughly speaking an essay title I came across. The jist of it is, if the Government are making decisions at Cabinet level (NAMA, Permitted alcohol level, etc. etc.), whipping their own TD's into line and then ramming it down everyone else’s throat {using the guillotine and rejecting all Private Members Bills and even offers of discussions e.g. discussions were offered prior to the Ceann Comhairle being forced to resign which were declined by the Taoiseach thereby hanging there own guy out to dry} then is there any point in the Dail sitting at all-why don’t they just go home and be glorified County Councillors?

I suppose an example of when a Backbencher did some good was when Gilmore took O’Donoghue down-but then proper regulation would have done that anyway
HAHA you must be enda kenny:):):) next week youll try to get rid of the councils!!!

evercloserunion

Jaysus does nobody ever get just a bit tired of the constant hysterical raving on this site.

True Republican

It's a kind of dictatorship already. More or less a a junta. The whip is the main problem imho.
No its not, Ireland needs a pincoshet type figure to smash the trade unions and to suspend the constitution till 2019.

Tig

It serves many not only useful but vital functions - surely the question should be how it can serve them better.

stanley

Its about as useful as tits on a bull.It's full of economic morons and spivvers that couldn't run a bath right never mind a country.All we need in this country are few good businessmen and a couple of good accountants to run this country, not 166 dumbass spoofers.

The likes of Mick O'Leary and Dermot Desmond would be excellent as long as we could be 100% sure they would/could not feather their own nests, these lads would kick it apart and rebuild in 5/10 years, they already have capable people in their own buisnesses.

Digout

The likes of Mick O'Leary and Dermot Desmond would be excellent as long as we could be 100% sure they would/could not feather their own nests, these lads would kick it apart and rebuild in 5/10 years, they already have capable people in their own buisnesses.
Well, we are 100% certain that the current bunch are only there to feather their own nests, so we should give OLeary + Desmond a shot at it.

True Republican

We need somebody who will banish the gombeens.
Thats exactly why I propose that democracy should be suspended for the next 10 years, its not serving any useful function at the moment.

Digout

Thats exactly why I propose that democracy should be suspended for the next 10 years, its not serving any useful function at the moment.
A new constitution would be a fine idea. This Dev inspired rubbish allows the gombeens to flourish.

Stendec

right an whos goin to run the country then??? your to ********************en thick to be let vote!!!!

True Republican

A new constitution would be a fine idea. This Dev inspired rubbish allows the gombeens to flourish.
I agree followed by a list electoral system where each party has to appoint business people and economists to the top of their party lists.

Rocky

It's a decent question.

Its main role is to elect a Taoiseach. On top of that it ensures that the government retains the support of the majority of TDs, as if that isn't the case it loses votes in the Dail and the government is then incapable of running the country and either an election is called or a new government takes over. Leader’s questions also give the party leaders a chance to question and attack the government.

Beyond that though very little and it should do more. Fianna Fail over the last 12 years has done a lot to weaken the institution, but then it wasn't in great shape before that either and a greater role for the Dail is needed. It would even be a move in the right direction if the government simply showed it more respect.

katy brock

I'd have said it was McQuaid inspired rubbish. Dev seems to have thought the Archbishop was some kind of sage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies