• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is the Daily Mail Obliged to Report Illegal British Army Operations to the Police?

picador

There's a story in the Daily Mail about the Military Reaction Force, a unit set up by Brigadier Frank Kitson to conduct 'counter-terrorist' operations in 1970s Belfast. An insider had told the Mail how the unit carried out a policy of assassinations against 'IRA suspects', which broadened to include the general civilian population. At least 20 people were shot as a result of such operations in the period 1972-4. It's not clear who all of the victims were as the MRF used weapons more commonly associated with paramilitaries, e.g. Thompson submachinegun. The former assassin refers specifically to shootings at pubs in nationalist districts of Belfast, the details of which the Mail knows but does not publish. Being the Mail the story is couched in gung-ho 'taking the terrorists on at their own game' or 'operating on the very edge of the law' type terms - but it's clear their source has been engaged in random gun-attacks on unarmed civilians.

The 'murder and mayhem' squad: Shocking new revelations by former undercover soldier who carried out 'shoot first, ask questions later' attacks on IRA terrorists for the British Army | Mail Online

I encourage people to register on the Daily Mail website and point out their obligation to report such crimes - up to and including murder - to the relevant investigating authorities.

On a separate note, BBC Panorama is apparently to show a documentary on the MRF in the new year.

Last edited:

ManUnited

There's a story in the Daily Mail about the Military Reaction Force, a unit set up by Brigadier Frank Kitson to conduct 'counter-terrorist' operations in 1970s Belfast. An insider had told the Mail how the unit carried out a policy of assassinations against 'IRA suspects', which broadened to include the general civilian population. At least 20 people were shot as a result of such operations in the period 1972-4. It's not clear who all of the victims were as the MRF used weapons more commonly associated with paramilitaries, e.g. Thompson submachinegun. The former assassin refers specifically to shootings at pubs in nationalist districts of Belfast, the details of which the Mail knows but does not publish. Being the Mail the story is couched in gung-ho 'taking the terrorists on at their own game' or 'operating on the very edge of the law' type terms - but it's clear their source has been engaged in random gun-attacks on unarmed civilians.

The 'murder and mayhem' squad: Shocking new revelations by former undercover soldier who carried out 'shoot first, ask questions later' attacks on IRA terrorists for the British Army | Mail Online

I encourage people to register on the Daily Mail website and point out their obligation to report such crimes - up to and including murder - to the relevant investigating authorities.

On a separate note, BBC Panorama is apparently to show a documentary on the MRF in the new year.
There is no obligation to report crimes.

Mackers

It's a pity for all of us they didn't investigate Frank Kitsons mad plans before he got to Ireland. He wasn't behind the door about them. Read his book makes for sobering reading.

Ren84

The Daily Heil probably thinks the MRF members should be given knighthoods for killing uppity taigs. Anyone who buys their "Irish" edition should feel eternal shame.

picador

It's a pity for all of us they didn't investigate Frank Kitsons mad plans before he got to Ireland. He wasn't behind the door about them. Read his book makes for sobering reading.
He was their leading create-an-insurgency expert at the time.

likesfish

Thers a good chance this book should be in the same file as the nemises file another stirring tale of under cover steely eyed killers dreamt up by an army mechanic.

picador

Thers a good chance this book should be in the same file as the nemises file another stirring tale of under cover steely eyed killers dreamt up by an army mechanic.
It can hardly be a coincidence that BBC Panorama have a documentary made about these assassins. It was meant to be shown last week but has been put off until the new year.

former wesleyan

The Tommy Sands spoof of the " Willy MacBride " song applies here too.

" ... an' all that auld talk about
barb wire 'n smoke !
Sure ye shouldn't a joined
if ye can't take a joke. "

Hitch 22

[video=youtube;KyRL73HIvqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyRL73HIvqg[/video]

picador

The Tommy Sands spoof of the " Willy MacBride " song applies here too.

" ... an' all that auld talk about
barb wire 'n smoke !
Sure ye shouldn't a joined
if ye can't take a joke. "
You are probably the snidest poster on this site.

longmarch

If I was in your shoes Pic I'd probably feel the way you do. No point me trying to be all politically correct and make some lame excuse.

I believe in letting sleeping dogs lay.

I care not that IRA men were a target, it doesn't sit as easy when it comes to ordinary people but Christ we have done the past to death. Lets ensure we never allow the same circumstances to manifest ever again.

Anyway just my honest answer. All the best for Xmas and new year picador.

Aindriu

Nothing to do with the civil police. The RMP/SIB would have to investigate any complaints.

As for Kitson, he viewed the Irish in the same way he did the inhabitants of Aden. He was as mad as a box of frogs.

dunno

The Daily Mail could try spelling words correctly, attempt basic sentence syntax, and some accurate research.

likesfish

Then they'd be doing better than the author.petunia

See the nemisis file.
Its still more realistic than my tale of fleeing a fort in the mountains over looking Dublin pursued by mad dog adairs flying column.
Possibly up for an award as the most outrageous tale ever told an irish american.