• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is The DUP Divided Over Flag Protests?

picador

After six weeks of mayhem Peter Robinson has issued his strongest call yet for the flag-protests to stop. Writing in the Belfast Telegraph Robinson said the protests were now synonymous with violence.

First Minister Peter Robinson demands end to 'mobocracy' as UDA calls protests counter-productive - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Ironically Robinson himself was largely responsible for triggering the protests, as his party distributed 40,000 leaflets singling out his successor as MP for East Belfast, Naomi Long of the Alliance Party, for attention from constituents disgruntled over the flag issue. The violence that ensued has seriously undermined Robinson, who is now desperate for the protests to end. But are his DUP collegaues singing form the same hymn-sheet?

Many senior figures in the party have gone unusually quiet and have so far failed to endorse the First Minster's increasingly urgent calls for the protests to cease. Is this a sign that the knives out for Robbo?

between the bridges

fleg thread 10001...

between the bridges

It's hitting hard home mate. My Protestant Girlfriend recenently bought a pair of Union-Jack Knickers.
Everytime I take them down, there's a fupping protest.
she's having you on a real prod goes commando...

Glenshane4

It's hitting hard home mate. My Protestant Girlfriend recenently bought a pair of Union-Jack Knickers.
Everytime I take them down, there's a fupping protest.
Does this mean that you have had sex with a heretic?

between the bridges

Gosh - wikador starts yet another NI thread outside the NI Forum. petunia
he cant hack it in the NI forum, for some reason he thinks those on the main forum are more gullible...

between the bridges

It means I made a joke. Ye Nordies are sooo damn dry.
so if i get this right, your having a bit of the nudge nudge, wink wink, with an union jack knicker wearing dry heretic...

between the bridges

He likes playing the defiant rebel - online - and is seeking martyrdom :D

The reality though is that he is being childish.
he hasn't been the same since the census, all that trudging about with the forms thinking each step was a step closer to the fable UI...

Cruimh

It means I made a joke. Ye Nordies are sooo damn dry.
You want a funny? ;)

CAIN: Laura Pelaschiar (1998) Writing the North - The Contemporary Novel in Northern Ireland

Traditional Irish tropes are irreverently turned upside-down. like the by now trite metaphor representing the British (male) colonization of female) Ireland in sexual terms, which in Divorcing Jack is ironically employed to justify the protagonist’s inability’ to control his sexual enthusiasm with his lover Margaret (a young girl he meets while lying in a state of drunken stupor in the Botanic Gardens and who will bring upon him a lot of trouble, marital as well as political).

We made love on the floor. It was nice. We had a bit of an argument about the lack of a condom. I volunteered to use my sock. She thought the idea was: a) disgusting; b) stupid. Socks weren’t watertight, or whatever. She said. You wear a sock, not only will I have a baby. but it’ll come out wearing a bloody jumper.’ We compromised on my withdrawal. I didn't. We British don't withdraw from Ireland (27).
Well worth a read :)

Cruimh

he hasn't been the same since the census, all that trudging about with the forms thinking each step was a step closer to the fable UI...
Still, he has great hopes for the Flag riots Sinn Féin engineered. He might even have been won away from the GARC.

I haven't bothered reading most of the rubbish - has he called for the guns to come out again yet?

TiredOfBeingTired

After six weeks of mayhem Peter Robinson has issued his strongest call yet for the flag-protests to stop. Writing in the Belfast Telegraph Robinson said the protests were now synonymous with violence.

First Minister Peter Robinson demands end to 'mobocracy' as UDA calls protests counter-productive - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Ironically Robinson himself was largely responsible for triggering the protests, as his party distributed 40,000 leaflets singling out his successor as MP for East Belfast, Naomi Long of the Alliance Party, for attention from constituents disgruntled over the flag issue. The violence that ensued has seriously undermined Robinson, who is now desperate for the protests to end. But are his DUP collegaues singing form the same hymn-sheet?

Many senior figures in the party have gone unusually quiet and have so far failed to endorse the First Minster's increasingly urgent calls for the protests to cease. Is this a sign that the knives out for Robbo?
There may be no answer.

One of the questions of the whole flegs issue is whether:
1) Things are planned, consistent, logical
or
2) Things are random, confused, contradictory, inconsistent, accidental, out of control

(If you are interested in history and how WW2 started, the first option is the standard story.
The second option is in AJP Taylor and "The Origins of the Second World War")

Maybe Peter Robinson, the DUP and politicians in general are not as calculating as you suspect.
It may well be that senior DUPers are sitting on the fence.
If the protests seem to be stopping, Robinson will be backed...

I'd love to know who exactly on the DUP side was behind the 40,000 leaflets.
If Robinson pushed these leaflets, they may be already coming back to haunt him.

It's hard to know.

between the bridges

Still, he has great hopes for the Flag riots Sinn Féin engineered. He might even have been won away from the GARC.

I haven't bothered reading most of the rubbish - has he called for the guns to come out again yet?
well to sum up he reckons MFI are behind the 'dissidents' and the east is beastly, and it's all because 'M' wanted a 200mill budget DYI store...

SideysGhost

So....in the last 24 hours or so we now have Loyalist community workers, persons linked to the UDA and UVF, and Peter Robinson of the DUP calling for an end to mindless thuggery over a democratic decision...

....yet still the loony brigade on p.ie are hell-bent on kicking up "SF/IRA Provo Plot!" distractions, making excuses, and running interference on behalf of the rioters.

Just shows how wildly extreme these so-called self-proclaimed "moderate unionists" and "mature sophisticated southerners" that infest p.ie really are.

Cruimh

....yet still the loony brigade on p.ie are hell-bent on kicking up "SF/IRA Provo Plot!" distractions, making excuses, and running interference on behalf of the rioters.
Ho hum - of course loyalists should stop the violence.

Besides being wrong, as with Drumcree, it is what PSF want. Destabilisation, bad publicity for themmuns and PSF playing the good guys to the gallery.

So much for unionist outreach. But then, it was pointed out last year that we could expect more stunts from PSF. And PSF engineered this situation.

TiredOfBeingTired

And PSF engineered this situation.
I dont understand the timing.

1) SF+SDLP+Alliance have had the votes to go for "Designated Days" since 2002.
Why engineer it now?

2) If they waited this long, they could have waited till after the next election.
SF+SDLP could have a majority by them.

between the bridges

Why engineer it now?

2) If they waited this long, they could have waited till after the next election.
Marxist plot to destroy xmas....

InsideImDancing

Why engineer it now?

Trying to get agreement with Unionists?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies