• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is the English Labour Party Finished?

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Nothing left outside of the cities.

Is it time for Scottish Labour to go it alone?

TommyO'Brien

no.

Upper Chamber

No, it was in government three days ago and is within 70 seats of an overall majority. Hardly? Why are you even asking?

T

The_Big_Fellow

I would like to think that it is, but I fear not.

It is probable that it will become more driven by factionalism and thus severely weakened. It would be in its voter bases interest if it did. The reality is that the English Working class will probably do better under the new Govt. in the long run.

As for Scottish Lab. going on their own. They would ask London first and be told no. They aren't noted for an ability to think outside of headquarters.

johnfás

I love these threads, which always crop up, days after an election defeat. Give it a couple of years and they seem so ironic. Blair marked the death of the conservatives, the defeat of Gore marked the end of the Democrats and but a few years ago, Fine Gael were a spiral to non existence. Ironic.

sondagefaux

Funnily enough, there was a conversation along similar lines on the Politics Now show on STV tonight.

The consensus was that Scottish Labour and Labour 'south of the border' are drifting apart and will continue to do so.

If Labour in England moves to the left, it risks making itself permanently unelectable down there.

Likewise if it moves to the right in Scotland.

Also consensus on the fact that having a Scottish leader makes any party less popular in England.

Another interesting topic came up - when the public spending cuts kick in the Lib Dems will take most of the flak in Scotland because most of the government MPs are Lib Dems and Danny Alexander, Lib Dem MP, is Scottish Secretary.

I don't think Alexander will be much of a match for Salmond if the two clash on TV...

T

The_Big_Fellow

No, it was in government three days ago and is within 70 seats of an overall majority. Hardly? Why are you even asking?
Well I think it is actually a fair question. It as a party has lost many of its core activists, is seen as aloof and distant if not hostile in many ways to its support base.

In the long term Labour are in trouble. What may save them is that the new Govt. will be facing an immensely difficult period of Govt. that will tarnish them for years.

Killianm

Not a chance Milliband will be in charge and when the current coalition falls apart he may be able to pull the necessary votes in to tip the balance.

CookieMonster

It'll rebound, stronger than ever and more left wing hopefully.
You know, I am in almost full agreement with the latter part of your post. Happily for both of us for entirely different reasons.

The more left Labour go the better... more chance of them consigning themselves to the history books that way.

They were a damaged party held together only by the fact that they were in power. They have lost that, they have lost their popular leader, they are losing their current leader and are likely to get a very inexperienced new leader who hasn't shown himsef to be anything spectacular. The future isn't looking bright.

T

The_Big_Fellow

I love these threads, which always crop up, days after an election defeat. Give it a couple of years and they seem so ironic. Blair marked the death of the conservatives, the defeat of Gore marked the end of the Democrats and but a few years ago, Fine Gael were a spiral to non existence. Ironic.
Well FG are doing well now, but they are going to come to power in an incredibly unfortunate time.

It is going to be a poisonous chalice, absolutely toxic. They surely are hoping that FF last till 2012.

I do not think that anyone believed that the defeat of Gore marked the end of the Democratic party. He lost ny a very narrow margin.

Yes re Blair, but that was overly dramatic on people's part. The Tory's were a damaged party but they still had a strong activist base.

T

The_Big_Fellow

Not a chance Milliband will be in charge and when the current coalition falls apart he may be able to pull the necessary votes in to tip the balance.
Not unless the Libs join him, and for that Lab and the Libs would be severely punished.

One of the reasons that John Brutal lost in 97.

TommyO'Brien

And don't forget the "Obama's win means the end for the Republicans" and the "Republican successes mean the end of Obama" stuff.

These sort of ridiculous threads seem to come around like showers. The truth is that in politics is a rollercoaster - you go up and down all the time. The Tories will be down, and up. Labour will be down and up. Fianna Fáil will be down and up. Fine Gael will be down and up. That is the circle of politics.

derm0t

These sort of ridiculous threads seem to come around like showers. The truth is that in politics is a rollercoaster - you go up and down all the time. The Tories will be down, and up. Labour will be down and up. Fianna Fáil will be down and up. Fine Gael will be down and up. That is the circle of politics.
Yup. You'd think people would learn. Even the Libs have survived, though they were down to what - ~9 seats about 30 years ago?

If Labour could survive Michael Foot, Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament, Arthur Scargill and Trotskyite infiltration (not to mention the Maggon) then they're pretty much bullet-proof over the long haul.

Must be nice for them to be in opposition without the LibDems competing for what passes for the "progressive" vote, with the incumbent govt forced to implement savage cutbacks with no end in sight.

A nice rest.

TommyO'Brien

Yep - they will gain a lot of brownie points if they are sensible and don't go into self-destruct mode
No pun intended, I'm sure. :p