Is the English Labour Party Finished?

Labour in an ironically privileged position!

The Labour party are in an ironically privileged position of being on the opposition benches.

They currently have a platform where they can appear as the antithesis to the ConLib coalition, and consequently can harness public opinion that will be fuming from the unavoidable austere measure that the incumbent Government will have to take.

Siding with and echoing the views of an angry public is an easy political maneuver when there are no consequences to your political tenure. An other election may come to fruition within the next 18 months and with a radical overhaul of its MPs and a new leadership in place, they may have built up momentum and could have an opportunity to engage in a coalition government, an outright majority however is highly unlikely.

The Labour party is far from dead in the water, and a return to its roots may wave in a new chapter in its existence!

Craigmcinerney's Blog

Cruimh

The Labour party are in an ironically privileged position of being on the opposition benches.

They currently have a platform where they can appear as the antithesis to the ConLib coalition, and consequently can harness public opinion that will be fuming from the unavoidable austere measure that the incumbent Government will have to take.

Siding with and echoing the views of an angry public is an easy political maneuver when there are no consequences to your political tenure. An other election may come to fruition within the next 18 months and with a radical overhaul of its MPs and a new leadership in place, they may have built up momentum and could have an opportunity to engage in a coalition government, an outright majority however is highly unlikely.

The Labour party is far from dead in the water, and a return to its roots may wave in a new chapter in its existence!

Craigmcinerney's Blog
The sad thing is that trad labour has just about disappeared from their benches - no more of the likes of Eric Heffer, Denis Skinner or Tony Benn

Herodotus

You know, I am in almost full agreement with the latter part of your post. Happily for both of us for entirely different reasons.

The more left Labour go the better... more chance of them consigning themselves to the history books that way.

They were a damaged party held together only by the fact that they were in power. They have lost that, they have lost their popular leader, they are losing their current leader and are likely to get a very inexperienced new leader who hasn't shown himsef to be anything spectacular. The future isn't looking bright.
I think that by going further left Lab will show that they are different to the Tories. Lab the last 13 years have been Tory-light. With the Lib-Dems in government now with the Tories they will be seen as the same.

People will be given a choice if Lab go leftward. And I think Labour will win the next election, whether that be a FPTP or AV election.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
There won't be 18 years of coalition government. I'd guess there will be another general election in the next couple of years - and I don't see the Tories achieving a Thatcher-like dominance.
Are you hoping the Labour Party will save the union.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
So generally you don,t really have any view on internal Scottish politics other than a vague notion of Scotland being part of the union.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies