• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is the Euro on the brink of Collapse?

Cassandra Syndrome

A number of hedge fund managers including the infamous George Soros are shorting the Euro likes there no tomorrow (literally). Is this financial terrorism?

George Soros recently claimed the euro may not survive and be in danger of total collapse, given the sovereign risk threat from Greece and the growing debt burden of other member states.

Soros declared that gold is a bubble at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January. “When interest rates are low we have conditions for asset bubbles to develop, and they are developing at the moment,” he said. “The ultimate bubble is gold.”

Mr Soros made his fortune by betting against the pound and “breaking the Bank of England” during the ERM crisis of 1992 .

Both Spanish and Greek prime ministers have accused hedge funds like Soros Fund Management of aggressive short selling of the euro, according to a report in the Independent.
Is the EURO on the brink of collapse? | Global Crisis News

toughbutfair

How come it is going up against sterling, and is well above "launch price" against the dollar.

Casandra - you make some great points but the sensationalist claims weaken your credentials.

Hillmanhunter1

A number of hedge fund managers including the infamous George Soros are shorting the Euro likes there no tomorrow (literally). Is this financial terrorism?

Is the EURO on the brink of collapse? | Global Crisis News
Firstly, I suspect that a publication called "Global Crisis News" is unlikely to ever vie for prizes in the area of reasoned analysis; and

Secondly, Mr Soros has an interest in creating currency instability, it is after all the way that he earns his (not inconsiderable) crust, so he's not exactly a disinterested or objective observer.

I'd need to see something a little more convincingly argued, perhaps with a smattering of evidence thrown in, before start looking down the back of the couch for a few punts.

toughbutfair

I bet in a year we will still be using the Euro, who thinks we'll be bartering due to the collapse of money or be Germany circa 1920s?

Hillmanhunter1

Cassandra Syndrome

nonpartyboy

The governments should hatch a plan to bury the hedgefunds big time, i mean no hedgefund could possibly have the resources to out play the eu in the longterm. Burn the bastards, bigstyle.

CookieMonster

The governments should hatch a plan to bury the hedgefunds big time, i mean no hedgefund could possibly have the resources to out play the eu in the longterm. Burn the bastards, bigstyle.
That's why the EU invented the AIFM Directive. Complete, as usual, with a back door for the Commission to do whatever they want without having to ask anybody.

constitutionus

there was something about this in the FT today as well.

definetly remember something about hedgefunds betting against the euro.

TBH why is anyone surprised? greece is ********************ed and the markets have all the self control of a depressed lemming.

Cassandra Syndrome

Neither of these articles supports the proposition that the Euro is on the brink of collapse, they refer to possible investigations of possible market abuse.
Wesley Tarpley on Russia Today talking about this.

Can I have a break now please? I did put a question mark to this thread at the end of the Day!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRFII9AiQc"]YouTube- Webster Tarpley: Bankers in slump plot against euro to save dollar[/ame]

Oreo Livermore

The American have those seagull eaters right where they want them.

One bag of sour noodles from them and they will be left holding 1.6 trillion of confetti

Kalan

The Papandreou govt. has just imposed further cuts and increased tax rates. He's doing the Lenihan austerity strategy.
Merkel is arriving in Athens in next few days. So a deal may be in the works.
Papandreou said he'll go to the IMF if a deal is not forthcoming. That would be too humbling for the EU.
The likelihood is for German, and French, state banks to purchase Greek debt and for their respective governments to guarantee this.
Will the Euro last? No monetary union has ever survived without fiscal union,-which implies political integration. But as the Euro is only 10 years old its still too early to say.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies