Is the focus on the budget misplaced?

Ingersoll

After watching all of the politics of the last week and beyond, bail-outs, secret-deals, corruption and monumental incompetence. I wonder is all of the focus on the passing of the budget our biggest problem? To my mind, the bigger problem is the scandal of the bail-out/loan and the pain that will inflict on us all - well, those of us that are not rich enough to care.

This is a debt that will be born by Irish people for a generation and potentially beyond. The budget must be balanced, no surprise there, horrible and painful, but necessary. But were is the rage of the Irish people as a result of the debt we have all been forced to bare? We will effectively be paying our wages to bond-holders and bankers who took a gamble, lost, and then won big-time as a result of the disgrace that is our governing class.

Our future and the future of our children has been economically destroyed, our children will now have to emigrate and a lot of us will be separated from our families as a result. The next government will have no say on this debt and don't give a toss. I am disgusted with this country, we have been utterly betrayed, and honestly question whether people are aware of this, or even if they care.

Are the masses aware of this, and if so where is the rage - what kind of people are we?

gatsbygirl20

After watching all of the politics of the last week and beyond, bail-outs, secret-deals, corruption and monumental incompetence. I wonder is all of the focus on the passing of the budget our biggest problem? To my mind, the bigger problem is the scandal of the bail-out/loan and the pain that will inflict on us all - well, those of us that are not rich enough to care.

This is a debt that will be born by Irish people for a generation and potentially beyond. The budget must be balanced, no surprise there, horrible and painful, but necessary. But were is the rage of the Irish people as a result of the debt we have all been forced to bare? We will effectively be paying our wages to bond-holders and bankers who took a gamble, lost, and then won big-time as a result of the disgrace that is our governing class.

Our future and the future of our children has been economically destroyed, our children will now have to emigrate and a lot of us will be separated from our families as a result. The next government will have no say on this debt and don't give a toss. I am disgusted with this country, we have been utterly betrayed, and honestly question whether people are aware of this, or even if they care.

Are the masses aware of this, and if so where is the rage - what kind of people are we?
Yes,we know. But our despair and disappointment are beyond our ability to express them through coherent action or protest. we know we're fekked, and that it is all too late. Except those idiots who are so blinded by rage at the Government that they think the IMF are a "good" thing. They think the IMF are their avenging angels who will destroy FF and the PS purely on a point of principle---and not as a part of the complete wipe-out that is coming. The IMF don't give a toss. People don't see that yet, but they will.

We are seeing the horrors of "the market", we are staring into the abyss of the unregulated market and its corrupt, all-encompassing powers. Our demise is being betted on, can you imagine that? It is apparently OK to do that.
Yes, we are giving our wages and the future wages of our children to bond-holders and bankers. But bondholders and bankers tell governments what to do. That is the system. Our government went unarmed among the money men, like fools, and the money men showed them who was boss. When push comes to shove, bond-holders and bankers call the shots. And push has come to shove. Terrible. But nothing personal. Just business as usual.

Superlepreachaun

gatsbygirl, I wish Anglo, BOI and AIB were also seeing the horrors of the market, but they were not willing to be victims to their own free market rhetoric and so came screaming to big government for a welfare cheque, and so even tho none of us shared the wealth, and all of us didn't cause the problem, apparently we have to "share the pain"

realist

I think most people are just bewildered and really don't know what is going on or who to believe.

The Green party saying they won't support the government after the budget but, at the same time, they will vote in support of the budget??

The government initially saying we don't need a bailout, and then we do, and now it is imperative that we have one??

I think we are being forced into accepting this bailout without anyone knowing (or admitting to knowing) the consequences. All the parties are hinting, without actually admitting, that they will support the budget not because it is good for the citizens of Ireland but because it is vital for Europe and the Euro.

We are now being led to believe that if Ireland does not pass the budget on 7th December then we may lose any chance of a bailout. I think this is fear mongering. The implications of the austerity about to be inflicted on the Irish is very much the lowest priority for the EU/IMF/ECB and it is solely in their interest that this budget is passed quickly.

ocoonassa

But were is the rage of the Irish people as a result of the debt we have all been forced to bare?
You don't get angry if you've got X-Factor. There's no need.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies