• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is the Golden Circle alive and well in Ireland?

Disillusioned democrat

Apologies to readers of another thread where I used this same event to highlight FG's failed housing policies, but to be honest the more I think about it the more it strikes me that over the past decade FG have done sweet phuck all to eradicate the golden circle in Ireland - the same informal institution that destroyed our economy, yet seems largely unscathed.

Last week saw the very happy news that Margaret Sweeney was getting a bonus of €300k for her great work shooting fish in a barrel - or more specifically managing a REIT during FG's disastrous housing strategy implementation. A bit of digging uncovers how much of an "insider" Ms. Sweeney is and also that this isn't her first time getting a big payoff - she scooped €800k of tax payers' money a few years back when she parted company unexpectedly from Aer Rianta, she's had a go on the board of the failed Postbank, and she's been on more than a few other boards of state agencies....but moves between private and public sector with consummate ease like many of her fellow travelers. Her "job" was in audit in KPMG, that well known bastion of prudence and probity in the Irish banking sectorr.

My own opinion of REITs is that they are toxic parasites created by FG to complete the job FF started in the first decade of this century and I see FG's housing policy as having a single real objecive - siphon tax payers' money into private landlords pockets, so IMHO being the CEO of an Irish REIT is easy money when literally every light is green for you.

In reality though, there are still lots of Ms. Sweeneys still around - and people like John Delaney, Dee Forbes, Angela Kerins, Sean Quinn's kids, to name but a few - who get to live off other peoples' hard work for no better reason than they're well connected and perpetuate the vast institutional inequality in Ireland.

wombat

I blame FG for not controlling the weather, it started out sunny this morning and despite Met Eireann's assurances, it looks like we will soon have rain. What are we paying Varadkar for?

Disillusioned democrat

I blame FG for not controlling the weather, it started out sunny this morning and despite Met Eireann's assurances, it looks like we will soon have rain. What are we paying Varadkar for?
So you don't believe that FG have created an unfair housing market that needlessly benefits REITs?

Personally I see a pattern...the state's avoidable failings are being exploited by well connected insiders for extraordinary gains.

Last edited:

SPN

That €1.2 Billion of pay rises for the PS/CS has to be paid for somehow.

Buchaill Dana

So you don't believe that FG have created an unfair housing market that needlessly benefits REITs?

Personally I see a pattern...the state's avoidable failings are being exploited by well connected insiders for extraordinary gains.
FG didn't create that culture.

They haven't stopped it, but the other mob are to blame for it

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Considering one of FG's contacts in the billionaire circle is contentedly wandering in and out of the Four Courts Bar & Grill as a perennial plaintiff and never a defendant is one telling indication of where we are with the 'golden circle'.

The Maple ten should be in a cell for insider dealing as a start. If there was such a thing as governance at their level.

Disillusioned democrat

FG didn't create that culture.

They haven't stopped it, but the other mob are to blame for it
FG created REITs and then started to rent property rather than build any social homes - you can't blame "the other mob" for that, it's 100% FG property market manipulation.

In fact FG have put FF in the ha'penny place - FF just made one-off gains for developers by inflating house prices but FG have made them rich forever by making the tax payer inflate the rental market.

belcoo666

We are paying him to have unreformed apartheid loving bigots preach to his Ard Fheis.

belcoo666

ogh dear , i was wondering why FG would bother with that old Irish thingy

Most them would be much happier to have a few of the Royals . Some thing were orgasmic have Jeffrey Bigot preach to them

The Golden Cirle is alive and well and the only threat to their existence if if they die from laughing too much a the plebs .

stanley

In fairness it was nice to see Vlad distancing himself from that scumbag, McGregor, who only represents himself and his pocket.

RasherHash

My7ZrSIN_x96.jpg
Neil O'Riordan

@noriordan
·
9h

How Ireland works, example 4,276: Fianna Fail TD who is part of the Oireachtas Committee due to quiz the FAI bought World Cup Final tickets through John Delaney

stanley

Yes but he paid full price for them .He obviously was of no benefit to John Boy

He may have paid full price but the type of ticket with pass is very difficult to access, could well see the FF TD saying "I owe you one" but how that would manifest itself is unknown, not too long ago Del Boy phoned members of PAC privately to get out of an appearance/questioning and he succeeded.

Popular Threads

Most Replies