• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is the government assisting the Gardai with their enquiries?

He3

Anglo: is the government assisting the Gardai with their enquiries?

The whitecollar crimebusters need all the help they can get if they are to bring anyone to justice over Anglo. Has the government given Anglo's records to the authorities who have the job of investigating possible law-breaking?

Now that the government owns the bank it controls the information systems. Those systems and records would be of great interest to any investigator, provided their integrity was preserved.

Has there been any public announcement as to whether the government preserved the data and passed the material to the ODCE/Garda/Regulator?

Last edited:

He3

Still hoping for a lead here :)

absconded

Still hoping for a lead here :)
nothing yet???
No pm´s or anything??
Good question though. I´m interested to read more.

He3

"[The Government needed to] ensure we got to the bottom of the wrongdoing, cleaned up this bank and restored Ireland's damaged reputation in international circles because of the misconduct that has taken place in this bank," said Mr Lenihan

Now they are losing me. Yesterday they were all at pains to say how investigating wrong doing was other people's job and they could not interfere with what they called due process.

Have they changed their position?

If not, have they taken steps to preserve and hand over potential evidence in the form of bank records and data?

He3

He3

IN PR terms it is a no-brainer - if the government tells us that it has passed over the records to the investigating authorities they can claim credit for doing so - and there is no downside. No one can say that helping the authorities is prejudicing anything. No names are publicised, just the fact of giving over potentially crucial evidence.

Are they just being bashful, and missing a glorious opportunity for positive publicity?

Question R24U

I didn't know that shareholders could access customers' information. I wonder what potential customers of this and other potentially nationalised banks think of this development? Grow up, ffs.

He3

2Q4U on that:

Why do you think this is limited to customers?

Do you think customer confidentiality trumps criminal investigations?

Abacus

Maybe, we should ask Paul Reynolds, he always seems to know everything.
Or maybe on mature reflection the other Paul (Williams) with his extensive underground contacts could shed a little light.

Isn't this 'certain line of enquiries' territory ? I mean shouldn't the fingerprints and DNA of those implicated be all over this stuff ?

Be careful though. There's a libel lawyer under every lamp post these days.
Has anybody noticed how many pubs and eateries have closed down around the Four Courts (I mean Four Goldmines) in recent times ?

Went to my usual haunt the other day after sealing a deal in the Round Hall and there it was.......gone !

Tells ya something, don't it ?

Question R24U

2Q4U on that:

Why do you think this is limited to customers?

Do you think customer confidentiality trumps criminal investigations?
Illegally obtained information is inadmissible in a court. A shareholder has no right to see its customers' details. Therefor they have no right to obtain that information unless and until an authorised body properly reports it. The government will have nothing to add.
If we are not talking about customers, who are you talking about?

He3

Illegally obtained information is inadmissible in a court. A shareholder has no right to see its customers' details. Therefor they have no right to obtain that information unless and until an authorised body properly reports it. The government will have nothing to add.
If we are not talking about customers, who are you talking about?
You managed to avoid answering either question.

The government now controls potentially vital evidence in the shape of Anglo records and information systems. They should show willingness to make that available, and in the meantime they should ensure steps are taken to preserve it from interference.

Have they done this?

If they have they can they should tell us, and we will praise them. They might even make some (formerly?) powerful people a little uneasy.

If they do not tell us, more suspicion is guaranteed to flourish.

Last edited:

He3

Well something is happening
but you don't know what it is.
Do you Mr Jones?

Belatedly something seems to be happening.

RTÉ News: Gardaí search Anglo Irish Bank offices

''Gardaí have begun a number of searches at the offices of Anglo Irish in Dublin.

The Garda Commissioner assigned a number of officers from the Bureau of Fraud Investigation to assist other gardaí who are working with the Director of Corporate Enforcement.''

He3

Maybe, we should ask Paul Reynolds, he always seems to know everything.
Or maybe on mature reflection the other Paul (Williams) with his extensive underground contacts could shed a little light.

Isn't this 'certain line of enquiries' territory ? I mean shouldn't the fingerprints and DNA of those implicated be all over this stuff ?

Be careful though. There's a libel lawyer under every lamp post these days.
Has anybody noticed how many pubs and eateries have closed down around the Four Courts (I mean Four Goldmines) in recent times ?

Went to my usual haunt the other day after sealing a deal in the Round Hall and there it was.......gone !

Tells ya something, don't it ?
Prize for flagging Paul Williams goes to Abacus, four years ahead of the curve.

He3

There are reports that Enda Kenny said today the Guards had the Anglo tapes for four years. He is trying to be helpful no doubt.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies