• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is the Government worth half your income?

stopdoingstuff

A friend of mine dropped over this evening. She needed some financial advice and the topic turned to tax. She makes about 75,000 year and gets to keep about 43,000 of that. Assuming the spends the rest and assuming she pays 13.5% (just being conservative ) of that spending in vat, this reduces her income by another 6,000 or so. In net terms, she gives almost half of her income to the state. Of course, this is an approximation, but even if its not entirely correct- there are other taxes and fees, she pays for some goods at the higher rate of vat, she has a small mortgage- she still gives more or less half of her income to the state. Is she getting a good deal?

Marcos the black

Ok, so what would you like to reduce? The dole? Public sector pensions? Medical card criteria? Infrastructure? Cost of Govt (including local)?

VHF

All of the above. I think its called living within our means.

Roll_On

We've seen this government slash and burn essential services while completely ignoring the disgraceful public sector wage bill. A deal with present day consultants to pay future consultants less is not a deal. The reality is, we get very little for our tax, because the government has gotten it's self involved in things that it doesn't need to be in.

Ribeye

It's nothing but a protection racquet!

Tax is theft, nothing more!

Angler

What I want for a start is that every one is required to make a tax return on their income , whether they be retired , employed , self employed ,unemployed . Any one who fails to comply with this duty should face serious sanctions .

patslatt

A friend of mine dropped over this evening. She needed some financial advice and the topic turned to tax. She makes about 75,000 year and gets to keep about 43,000 of that. Assuming the spends the rest and assuming she pays 13.5% (just being conservative ) of that spending in vat, this reduces her income by another 6,000 or so. In net terms, she gives almost half of her income to the state. Of course, this is an approximation, but even if its not entirely correct- there are other taxes and fees, she pays for some goods at the higher rate of vat, she has a small mortgage- she still gives more or less half of her income to the state. Is she getting a good deal?
IRISH STRATEGIC VISION PARTY
Back in the 1960s,Sweden's welfare state provided free health care,massive social housing,excellent public transport and myriad other social services while spending about 50% of GNP. The reason Ireland today can't provide services comparable to Sweden's 50 years ago is lack of strategic planning by government, with politicians making policy on the hoof in general elections. Maybe we need a political party called Irish Strategic Vision but would it get any votes at the parochial village pump?

wexfordman

WHalf your income and they reckon it's still not enough. Property tax required to run local services IN ADDITION to the 50 percent of your income..

It's people like this are being raped by the government and fellow citizens.

ScreeOrTalus

The meek-but-miffed middle class have to take some of the blame.

EvotingMachine0197

You have to look at what she's getting in return for that money, much of which is intangible.

One must remember that the Government is merely an escrow, all of the money comes back out to pay for (mostly) health, education and welfare.

VHF

WHalf your income and they reckon it's still not enough. Property tax required to run local services IN ADDITION to the 50 percent of your income..

It's people like this are being raped by the government and fellow citizens.
:mad:
Yet isn't it truly strange how mass national and regional protest and civil disobedience have not developed.

Even the unions are quiet - now I wonder why that May be.

pragmaticapproach

It's nothing but a protection racquet!

Tax is theft, nothing more!
Tax is too high and needlessly complex but the concept is hardly theft(depending on ones subjective opinion), Its abit like the marxists who believe private property is theft.

pragmaticapproach

What I want for a start is that every one is required to make a tax return on their income , whether they be retired , employed , self employed ,unemployed . Any one who fails to comply with this duty should face serious sanctions .
A flat tax eventually transitioning to a fair tax would be the best solution, but we need to slash expenditure. Its a popular idea in the U.S but I see no reason why it couldnt be implemented here.

[video=youtube;ujKWVCxSDIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKWVCxSDIs&feature=related[/video]

Ribeye

Tax is too high and needlessly complex but the concept is hardly theft(depending on ones subjective opinion), Its abit like the marxists who believe private property is theft.
Well Prag, although I'm quite sure you already know, and understand where I stand on this:)

I'll say this,

What would you call using force to take money from someone?

Make paying tax voluntary, and I shall withdraw my theft accusation!

ManUnited

Marx din't say property is theft.That was Proudhoun, an anarchist.