Is the jobs for life culture in the public sector undermining efficiency of services?

Patslatt1

Occasionally I ask teenagers about the quality of their teachers and all too often they identify at least one who is poor at the job. Burnout is common in the secondary school teaching profession from having to deal with classrooms of noisy teens.However, teachers' militant trade unions have blocked attempts to sack incompetent teachers.

Generally in Ireland, there is the well known social problem of excessive drinking. I'd estimate that between a tenth and a fifth of the adult working population have drinking problems that could affect their performance at work. Those people would tend to seek out jobs in the public sector for the job security, realising that private sector employers would not be tolerant of inefficient job performance.

Aside from drinking problems, other factors such as poor health and the lack of pressure to perform undermine job performance in the public sector. Shouldn't workers who can't do the job well be replaced in order to provide an efficient service to the public?

It is argued that political parties might appoint cronies to civil service jobs if the government could hire and fire freely. However, it should be possible to prevent cronyism by appointing an impartial commission to deal with cases recommended for dismissal.

Last edited:

Congalltee

Teaching is a regulated profession, whereby poor teachers are and have been dismissed. Next.

Occasionally I ask teenagers about the quality of their teachers and all too often they identify at least one who is poor at the job. Burnout is common in the secondary school teaching profession from having to deal with classrooms of noisy teens.However, teachers' militant trade unions have blocked attempts to sack incompetent teachers.

Generaly in Ireland, there is the well known social problem of excessive drinking. I'd estimate that between a tenth and a fifth of the adult working population have drinking problems that could affect their performance at work. Those people would tend to seek out jobs in the public sector for the job security, realising that private sector employers would not be tolerant of inefficient job performance.

Aside from drinking problems, other factors such as poor health and the lack of pressure to perform undermine job performance in the public sector. Shouldn't workers who can't do the job well be replaced in order to provide an efficient service to the public?

It is argued that political parties might appoint cronies to civil service jobs if the government could hire and fire freely. However, it should be possible to prevent cronyism by appointing an impartial commission to deal with cases recommended for dismissal.
Jesus wept. That's a huge leap between the first and second paragraphs.

SeanieFitz

I never knew public servants had to work until they diedanyway good to have you back Pat. What happened your other account? The one with near 18,000 posts on one topic, public servants.

I never knew public servants had to work until they died��anyway good to have you back Pat. What happened your other account? The one with near 18,000 posts on one topic, public servants.
The OPer is a single subject obsessive.

firefly123

I never knew public servants had to work until they died��anyway good to have you back Pat. What happened your other account? The one with near 18,000 posts on one topic, public servants.
Technically it was the same post 18000 times. But what would I know I'm so drunk right now!

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

Mushroom

Shouldn't workers who can't do the job well be replaced in order to provide an efficient service to the public?

Be replaced by what? Dyson vacuum cleaners?

ruserious

Back to work lads. My public sector salary won't pay for itself.

cricket

Generaly in Ireland, there is the well known social problem of excessive drinking. I'd estimate that between a tenth and a fifth of the adult working population have drinking problems that could affect their performance at work. Those people would tend to seek out jobs in the public sector for the job security, realising that private sector employers would not be tolerant of inefficient job performance.

Obsession.
Therapy available.

toughbutfair

I'm a private sector worker and doubt there's fewer of us who are inefficient. Also, I won't begrudge them their level of job security even though I'm a bit jealous of it.

Patslatt1

Teaching is a regulated profession, whereby poor teachers are and have been dismissed. Next.
In the past, hardly any were sacked. Some new professional regulations may change that but the government has a habit of passing regulations that aren't enforced. Next.

Patslatt1

Hacked, presumably by a spiteful public servant!

Patslatt1

I'm a private sector worker and doubt there's fewer of us who are inefficient. Also, I won't begrudge them their level of job security even though I'm a bit jealous of it.
Given that public sector pay is almost half as high again as the private sector average not to mention gold plated pensions, Irish public sector workers should be among the world's best, supermen and superwomen all!

Gibby

Given that public sector pay is almost half as high again as the private sector average not to mention gold plated pensions, Irish public sector workers should be among the world's best, supermen and superwomen all!
Link?

And unless you start shouting your headings, I won't hear you :lol:

Patslatt1

Link?

And unless you start shouting your headings, I won't hear you :lol:
You must be the only person in Ireland who is unaware of the gold plated pensions and tax free lump sums of retiring public sector workers. Try reading the odd newspaper.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies