Is the march being talked down.

Broke

I was just wondering is there a conspiracy going on about yesterday march.The sunday world is reporting 100,000 turned out for the march, yet the Indo and Times are reporting only 50,000 turned out.Is the establishment trying to talk down the march to put people of going out again.

Cael

Certainly. They were praying for violence at the march to frighten people off attending future marches - I noticed that the area where éirígí and RSF were was surrounded by police, while every other area had a vry discrete police presence. It was a very obvious attempt to provoke a confrontation. Fortunately, the Republicans maintained their discipline and did not give the ruling class what they wanted.

USER1234

Doubt there's any kind of conspiracy, the news last night had the attendance at between 40,000 and 50,000

Cael

Doubt there's any kind of conspiracy, the news last night had the attendance at between 40,000 and 50,000

Though there are at least 80,000 people who know that that's BS.

Buddies

I was at the munster homecoming a few years ago when 50,000 were there, and they filled up half of Limericks O Connell st.

I don't want to sound like a tin foil hatter but yes, there was twice that there yesterday...or at the least 80k, and thats a minimum figure

So to answer, yes, there is a conspiracy

We are being sold down the river

Buddies

Certainly. They were praying for violence at the march to frighten people off attending future marches - I noticed that the area where éirígí and RSF were was surrounded by police, while every other area had a vry discrete police presence. It was a very obvious attempt to provoke a confrontation. Fortunately, the Republicans maintained their discipline and did not give the ruling class what they wanted.
I stood near them too and there was a few police types there.

Did you go to the Dail?

No Eirigi flags there

huffnpuff

Of course there is a conspiracy going on. It is so transparent. It is without question that there were closer to 100 000 people than 50 000 people yesterday. Hold the proles down while they take the shirts off our backs.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
yes, they will talk it down.. the "Establishment".. i.e. the prevailing political and media elite do not want people on the streets marching.. they prefer to control the way things go themselves.. the last thing they want is people realising that hundreds of thousands of others are as piss*d off each other and contemplating any kind of revolutionary change

Nipper

BBC were talking about 80K before an "official" figure of 50k came out.

Goldencircle

It was been talked down by plenty little sh!ts on here leading up to it.
Not any different after unfortunately.

Fair play to everyone that attended.

Panopticon

I was just wondering is there a conspiracy going on about yesterday march.The sunday world is reporting 100,000 turned out for the march, yet the Indo and Times are reporting only 50,000 turned out.Is the establishment trying to talk down the march to put people of going out again.
It's the rule of five. Event organisers tend to over-report turnout by a factor of five. Realistically, it's very difficult to put 100k people into O'Connell Street. A good example of this is the ridiculous numbers given for turnout at the Dublin St Patrick's Day parade, e.g. 1 million.

The way to think about it is in terms of bodies and area. I was there but I don't claim to know whether it was closer to 50k or 100k. I suspect it was between these figures, neither below 50k nor above 100k.

Buddies

It's the rule of five. Event organisers tend to over-report turnout by a factor of five. Realistically, it's very difficult to put 100k people into O'Connell Street. A good example of this is the ridiculous numbers given for turnout at the Dublin St Patrick's Day parade, e.g. 1 million.
Sorry now, your talking out your hole

Aindriu

Sorry now, your talking out your hole
You're right he is! I was halfway down the march and 10 minutes after we reached the GPO the end of the march had only just reached Halfpenny bridge!

Panopticon

You're right he is! I was halfway down the march and 10 minutes after we reached the GPO the end of the march had only just reached Halfpenny bridge!
That doesn't automatically mean there were any arbitrary number of people there. I heard the man say "they are at the Capel St Bridge" too but, frankly, I wouldn't put it past him to say things like that to boost morale. None of us can know how long it was at that stage; I'm basing this on how many people were there for the speeches, and how many people you can actually fit in.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies