• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is the PC market dying,dead or just catching its breath ?

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
We are now living in a world where technological changes seem to happen in the blink of an eye and the world of computing seems to change fastest of all.

I attended my first lecture on computers in the late 1970's, a time when there was only perhaps a few thousand programmers in the world and the PC didn't exist, memory equalled spools of magnetic tape and the internet was science fiction.

I bought my first PC in the mid 1980's and paid circa £3000 for it, twin floppy disks, no hard drive, a green screen and a spreadsheet program called Lotus 123.

The dealer told me that he hoped to sell at least 30 more of them that year, but we all knew that the computer industry would be very big and eventually every house would have a PC :lol: we didn't quite stretch to every room in the house would have a PC or even 2 :shock:

Then the IDA went forth in the world and returned with companies like Digital, IBM and Intel, Apple, Dell, Gateway and the rest.

Before the Celtic Tiger arrived mobile computing was something that was over the horizon and a lap top almost needed its own engine to get it from room to room.

Now mobile computing may be about to kill the PC.

PC sales may decline "for years to come", analysts begin to worry :: TweakTown USA Edition

Will tablets and smartphones take over the world or is there still a market for a computer with a decent screen size and comfortable keyboard ?

And what is the future for coding as a career ?

jmcc

Ever tried to play Call of Duty or any graphically intensive game on a mobile phone? :) Games and rich content applications will drive PC sales for a while yet. Social media might be more applicable to hand held devices though so I think that there might well be a fracturing of the market rather than the death of the PC market.

Regards...jmcc

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
Ever tried to play Call of Duty or any graphically intensive game on a mobile phone? :) Games and rich content applications will drive PC sales for a while yet. Social media might be more applicable to hand held devices though so I think that there might well be a fracturing of the market rather than the death of the PC market.

Regards...jmcc
jmcc,

You are probably correct but I have another question, do people actually use tablets or smartphones for text based work ?

borntorum

There will still be a market for laptops / macbooks. I can see the desktop market dying away

wombat

Will tablets and smartphones take over the world or is there still a market for a computer with a decent screen size and comfortable keyboard ?
A generation thing? I find the mobile phone screen too small to read without glasses and my fingers too stubby to hit the correct letter even using one finger at a time:lol: I like the ipad, never really took to the laptop. I like a decent screen, I have a better sound system than I ever had, I scanned all the photos I wanted onto the computer and managed to copy most of my LPs onto it - I may update to windows 8 in the new year and if I need to give it a brain transplant in future, I have no fear in opening it.

D

Dylan2010

My first computer was an Acorn Atom, 5k text and 6k graphics expanded which involved trips to Peats to pick up 1/2 k chips. 400 punts if I remember in 83. You still need a laptop/pc for gaming and doing homework , home working etc. The costs are mounting though, people are getting used to shelling out hundreds of euros every year to keep up to date with the technology.

Sync

It's very much dying. The venn diagram of crossover for people who A: want to sit in front of their desk to do work B: Need a system more powerful than a laptop to do so is rapidly becoming smaller.

From a gameplaying perspective once the next WOW (or whatever) goes to console that will be a death knell for the gaming industry on the system. Steam have realised this and are working on their own console now. 10 years time, it's tough to see there being much of a PC gaming industry at all.

Then, while there's still gonig to be people who want to sit at the screen for Office apps, why wouldn't you just use a docked laptop for it?

EUrJokingMeRight

We are now living in a world where technological changes seem to happen in the blink of an eye and the world of computing seems to change fastest of all.

I attended my first lecture on computers in the late 1970's, a time when there was only perhaps a few thousand programmers in the world and the PC didn't exist, memory equalled spools of magnetic tape and the internet was science fiction.

I bought my first PC in the mid 1980's and paid circa £3000 for it, twin floppy disks, no hard drive, a green screen and a spreadsheet program called Lotus 123.

The dealer told me that he hoped to sell at least 30 more of them that year, but we all knew that the computer industry would be very big and eventually every house would have a PC :lol: we didn't quite stretch to every room in the house would have a PC or even 2 :shock:

Then the IDA went forth in the world and returned with companies like Digital, IBM and Intel, Apple, Dell, Gateway and the rest.

Before the Celtic Tiger arrived mobile computing was something that was over the horizon and a lap top almost needed its own engine to get it from room to room.

PC sales may decline "for years to come", analysts begin to worry :: TweakTown USA Edition

Apps and enterprise Apps.

Johnnybaii

Gaming and speciality needs aside the PC is dead, even for work now I just use a semi decent laptop and a docking station with 2 x22" screens + mouse + keyboard plugged in.

sethjem7

Regards...jmcc
It will survive as a niche market, the halcyon days are gone.

borntorum

We had an Acorn/BBC 'B' in the early 80s - I still use emulators to play the games I used to play on it. Never got the hang of BASIC though...
I've been using PCs for nearly 20 years, but I don't understand what that means at all

jmcc

jmcc,

You are probably correct but I have another question, do people actually use tablets or smartphones for text based work ?
Tablets more than smartphones from what I can see, Pat,
This is based on what I can see from the logs on a large website. There are devices like Samsung Galaxy but Apple Ipads are way out in the lead. Most of the traffic is desktop though. Tablets are beginning to become the executive choice in some larger businesses.

Regards...jmcc

G

Gimpanzee

I guess the people who had pc's to browse the internet are gone from the market. It was using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, when all that was available was sledgehammers. Users who are more active in their use - gaming, typing, creating etc... will still maintain desktops because they are far more productive.

jmcc

Then, while there's still gonig to be people who want to sit at the screen for Office apps, why wouldn't you just use a docked laptop for it?
Security.

Regards...jmcc

daveL

for dedicated purposes the PC is still best... (software development, graphics etc) but it's dead for internet browsing, email etc

I've been using PCs for nearly 20 years, but I don't understand what that means at all
The BBC (the telly and radio people), in partnership with the ACORN computing company, mass-produced a hugely successful and relatively cheap PC in the early 80s - I had model 'B' - and the programming language was called BASIC, like MS-DOS was for Microsoft. There were no windows in those days so when you wanted to play a game or do something else you had to enter programmed commands using the BASIC language.

Like this:

daveL

my first program was hangman written in BASIC

it didn't work

BASIC was/is puke

G

Gimpanzee

I like the ipad, never really took to the laptop.
Big 15" laptops are unwieldy, but I have a tablet and a 10" netbook, and I'd take the netbook every day. I think they are the most underrated bits of kit around.

emulator

My first was a Wang 386sx that ran at 25MHz had 4mb Ram and a 20mb hard drive.... :) Which wasn't bad back then.

There will always be a market for desktops but they have certainly declined. The all-in-one like the iMac will take over a lot in that area and Smart TVs will eventually take over for general home surfing communications.

Desktops will still be required by industry for some time to come.

The future of coding is good and getting better.... if you're any good at it. The more devices that have computing capability the better the prospects for coders.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies