Is the Pope really welcome in America?

Yes of course it is anti catholic. They are tolerated because they don't support abortion or gay rights.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
With the alrewady substantial and still growing influence of hispanic voters being courted by both Democrats and Republicans, the Pope will always be welcome by the politicians. Catholics vote.

michael1965

George Bush went out to Andrews AF base to welcome him personally. That is highly unusual apparently. Other interesting factoids. ... Bush's brother Jeb converted to Catholicism, when he married his catholic wife.... There are more Catholic judges on the US Supreme court than any other religion. So, maybe it's just the Bush family that likes them, but I doubt it.

That article "The Last Acceptable Prejudice" is a terrible whinge.

It isn't an anti-Catholic country. There are pockets of anti-Catholicism in the more in-bred and time-warped parts of the South, but then there are pockets of anti-Communist and anti-Extra-Terrestrial hysteria in the same parts. There is also the usual trendy liberal bleating about the Church's 'oppression' of one group or another, which is seen in every advanced country on Earth. I would say Ireland has more problems in this regard than America, virtually every Irish comedian, and many commentators, in the 1980s and 1990s had no other material than how bad the Church was, how personally oppressed they were. This infantile whinge-fest is still common here.

Sligoboy

The KKK relaxed its restriction on Catholic membership 20 years ago and has stricken off all edicts attacking Catholicism.

Catholic values have been espoused as being consistent with American values by more and more elements of the far right. This is in line with a more accommodating view of Judaism.

Intolerance in the States is far more colour or nationality orientated these days.

Kerry was a Catholic, his religion was never mentioned as being problematic in the last US presidential election. Indeed there are moves within mainstream conservatism and evangelicalism in the US to unite all the sects of Christianity against the perceived threat of Islam.

Ultra conservative Evangelists and Catholics have far more in common than not.

Vinegarhill

Read a book on the Blackwater company some time back and what was very interesting was that many of the leading Neo-cons were Catholic, something I had not known.

stateless

I would say overall he is probably welcome in America. It gives the impression that he is happy to turn a blind eye to U.S policy as he is prepared to talk with Bush. I think this will make the majority of americans feel content. I dont aspire to either's point of view but my respect for the pope is at an all time low.

fergalr

Met on arrival by the US President and 9,000 people sing him Happy Birthday at the White House's largest gathering of the Bush Administration.
Yeah, they really don't like him :p

Podolski

The pope and his immediate predecessor often spoke about their opposition to war, particularly the invasion of Iraq. Interesting then that the pontiff chose to fly into Andrews Airforce Base which has been the source of many US military attacks on that country. Didn't previous popes fly into JFK - a civil airport?

fergalr

Well, that could be because Andrews in near Washington D.C and JFK is in New York!!!

stateless said:
I would say overall he is probably welcome in America. It gives the impression that he is happy to turn a blind eye to U.S policy as he is prepared to talk with Bush. I think this will make the majority of americans feel content. I dont aspire to either's point of view but my respect for the pope is at an all time low.
So anybody who talks to Bush is turning a blind eye to US policy !!!!!!!!!!

fergalr

If the only foreign heads of state allowed to visit George Bush are pro-Iraq War then the Israeli President may as well move into the Lincoln bedroom.

Podolski said:
The pope and his immediate predecessor often spoke about their opposition to war, particularly the invasion of Iraq. Interesting then that the pontiff chose to fly into Andrews Airforce Base which has been the source of many US military attacks on that country. Didn't previous popes fly into JFK - a civil airport?
Andrews AFB is home of Air Force 1 and is a very tightly controlled facility. Given that flying into a civilian airport means its effectively locked down the airport for 5-6 hours before hand then fling into AFB has a lot of logic behind it.

stateless

odie1kanobe said:
stateless said:
anyone in a position such as the pope. i.e the head of a massive organisation. surly if the man has principles and a moral conscience he should find this extremley difficult............

stateless said:
odie1kanobe said:
stateless said:
anyone in a position such as the pope. i.e the head of a massive organisation. surly if the man has principles and a moral conscience he should find this extremley difficult............
Why ?

Popes have spoken to other leaders with a lot more blood that Dubya.

joel

stateless said:
odie1kanobe said:
stateless said:

There is a difference between that and actively supporting the war - as Paisley and Co did - why no censure there?

freedomlover

Now that his visit is over, the answer to the question is clearly a resonding YES. Pope Benedict has taken America by storm. Huge crowds. Huge media attention. For almost a week Hilary Clinton, Barak Obama and John McCain have been also-rans when it came to media attention. And as for poor old Gordon Brown, who foolishly chose to visit America at the same time as the Pope, he barely got a mention. The visit proves that America remains a religious country and that Catholics in America are among its most patriotic citizens. It was very moving to see the crowds waving Stars and Stripes and Papal flags while singing God Bless America. The small anti-God minority in America has been routed. On the downside, the visit will probably widen further the divide between God-fearing America and the ghastly atheistic countries of most of Europe (Ireland and Poland being exceptions of course). The Atlantic is getting wider and wider. Its impossible to imagine a visit by the Pope to virtually any European country attracting such crowds or such media attention. Ireland, however, is different and a Papal visit here should be arranged as soon as possible.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies