• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is the post-Woolwich "wave of Islamophobia" being exaggerated?

Shqiptar

I'd condemn Islamophobia as quickly as I'd condemn anti-Irishness, homophobia, anti-Semitism and all other forms of bigotry. However, exaggerating their extent will not achieve anything and will in the long term damage the fight against all hate crimes.

We've been told that after the murder of Lee Rigby, there's been a massive increase in the number of anti-Muslim attacks in the UK with 212 being logged in the aftermath of the incident. Examples being cited were people being abused on the street and mosques being targeted.

However, it turns out that over half of these (212) were online incidents, offensive postings on the internet - many of them not even originating in the UK. A further 35 were unverified as of Saturday night. Fewer than one in 12 involved individuals being physically targeted and there have no reports of anyone being injured, even slightly, as a result of this wave of Islamophobia.

The truth about the "wave of attacks on Muslims" after Woolwich murder - Telegraph

Equinox

If only the same effort had been but into cracking down on extremists on the other side of this equation perhaps that tragic event might never have happened, the EDL are small potatoes compared to the network of extremist Imams and Islamist groups that openly peddle their incitement to this sort of crime. But we can't be arresting Imams, closing down Islamic book shops and prosecuting every post that praises the murder of and inocent man, and believe me there were plenty, strange that none of those tweets seem to have encurred the attention of the authorities, no?

Zerubbabel

Islam is about gaining territory.

“Attendance at Britain’s mosques has outstripped the number of regular worshippers in the Church of England for the first time, with figures showing that 930,000 Muslims attend a place of worship at least once a week, compared to 916,000 Anglicans. The Church lost 100,000 worshippers between 2000 and 2002.”

Read more: The Alarming Rate At Which Christianity Is Being Replaced By Islam

dresden8

Let's just say that x 1,000 people were killed in every European country this weekend.

Only they won't bomb car manufacturers.

johnny365

American patriot and decorated war hero John McCain has given us the best answer to this. We should support Israel, arm the rebels in Syria, support the government in Turkey and destabilise Iran. That is the best way to shorten the amount of time we need to work with militant Islamic extremists.
How can you "work"with people who are willing to blow themselves up and view all non muslims infidels?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
@OP Yes, and quite cynically so.

Shqiptar

If only the same effort had been but into cracking down on extremists on the other side of this equation perhaps that tragic event might never have happened, the EDL are small potatoes compared to the network of extremist Imams and Islamist groups that openly peddle their incitement to this sort of crime. But we can't be arresting Imams, closing down Islamic book shops and prosecuting every post that praises the murder of and inocent man, and believe me there were plenty, strange that none of those tweets seem to have encurred the attention of the authorities, no?
It needs buy-in from ordinary, non-extremist Muslims, the vast majority of whom are opposed to these hate-speakers.

The ones that irritate me are the United Against Fascism crew. Fair enough, oppose fascism but don't be choosey about the fascism you oppose. Where the hell are they when some of these Islamic speakers are ranting about gays and Jews?

Narcissist

American patriot and decorated war hero John McCain has given us the best answer to this. We should support Israel, arm the rebels in Syria, support the government in Turkey and destabilise Iran. That is the best way to shorten the amount of time we need to work with militant Islamic extremists.
No harm to you but that's a load of nonsense.

stopdoingstuff

It needs buy-in from ordinary, non-extremist Muslims, the vast majority of whom are opposed to these hate-speakers.

The ones that irritate me are the United Against Fascism crew. Fair enough, oppose fascism but don't be choosey about the fascism you oppose. Where the hell are they when some of these Islamic speakers are ranting about gays and Jews?
You reminded me of an important point. Anything negative I say about Islam is directed only towards the extremists. Every one else is free to fk my sister.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Right beside them.

Only a sober few seem to stop punching the air and chanting to notice that its not 'imperialism' per se that's the problem, but just 'western imperialism'. Political Islam is as imperialist as it gets. The LGBT banner there in that march is especially moronic.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
There are dozens of anti-islamic hate crimes on the forum every week im sure by their definition.

There isnt enough Islamophobia in the UK, they are totally pussified.

Shqiptar

Rolling total of Islamophobic incidents on P.ie in the last 24 hours.

Shqiptar

Right beside them.

Only a sober few seem to stop punching the air and chanting to notice that its not 'imperialism' per se that's the problem, but just 'western imperialism'. Political Islam is as imperialist as it gets. The LGBT banner there in that march is especially moronic.
Oh dear.....that looks like Labour LGBT....

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

yayo

Standing behind them.

johnny365

Very valid point, groups like Unite against Fascist only seem only to protest against Fascism when its coming from white Europeans.