• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is the theory of evolution wrong?

easygoing

I have no strong views on this, but I was struck by Kevin Myers' column in yesterday's paper.

In it, he wrote of a book, Harum Yahya's Atlas of Creation. Yahya is a Muslim, but he's also a respected scientist. He believes in Intelligent Design, citing as evidence the outrageously low levels of probability that proteins and amino acids and DNA could have formed in the way that they did.

"To say it could have come about accidentally is like saying if you throw enough rubble and jewels up in the air often enough it will come down as the Taj Mahal" !

Has anyone read the book?

beardyboy

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Chaos theory?

Catalpa

easygoing said:
I have no strong views on this, but I was struck by Kevin Myers' column in yesterday's paper.

In it, he wrote of a book, Harum Yahya's Atlas of Creation. Yahya is a Muslim, but he's also a respected scientist. He believes in Intelligent Design, citing as evidence the outrageously low levels of probability that proteins and amino acids and DNA could have formed in the way that they did.

"To say it could have come about accidentally is like saying if you throw enough rubble and jewels up in the air often enough it will come down as the Taj Mahal" !

Has anyone read the book?
No never even heard of him or his book.

Mind you he has a point...

However I do believe in Evolution but I hold open the premise that a Divine Hand has moulded the Universe too.

beardyboy

catalpa - do you believe in the nineteenth century concept of a God who started itall off and let it tear on at its own rate?

Catalpa

beardyboy said:
catalpa - do you believe in the nineteenth century concept of a God who started itall off and let it tear on at its own rate?
Its a plausable explanation. But to say I implicitly believe that God did this would be overstating my belief.

I think there are a lot more indicators pointing towards the conclusion that God (the Supreme Diety) exists than away from that possibility.

easygoing

beardyboy said:
I am a Catholic. But I believe in the Big Bang, life on other worlds etc. I see no conflict. For me, the complexity and wonders of the universe are a testament to God's absolute genius and splendour. I believe that he let's his creation evolve itself, but that, existing outside time, He sees all points of time - past, present and future - simultaneously.

beardyboy

I believe in Christianity - just wondering what you think of the role God plays in the world

easygoing

beardyboy said:
I believe in Christianity - just wondering what you think of the role God plays in the world
I don't know to be honest. I don't think he plays much of a role. I think he's given his children free will, entrusted the care of the garden to us, so to speak.

politicaldonations

No matter what the fundamental nature of the world/universe and our existence we can never know the fundamental truth of these things. Every single person has a different subjective view of the world, their existence etc. Science can help us obtain objectivity but is also limited in many ways. Its perfectly possible that our existence is intrinsicly meaningless but that we have freedom to create meaning/purpose in our life. I don't think science will ever be able to explain the origins of the universe, the exact nature of dark matter and all the exotic sub atomic particles or fully explain the nature of time. No human can know the fundamental truth/nature of the universe or anything unknown to us outside of the universe we experience .

Respvblica

beardyboy said:
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Chaos theory?
I do a bit. Nonlinear physicas and feedback equations showing that under certain conditions quite simple equations yield quite amazing results.
I thini most systems can exhibit chaos as all real systems are nonlinear.

I think evolution is the best answer for explaining the diversity of life, but there are mysteries such as how life began in the first place(3billion years ago) and then teh sudden appearance of all the major philum(arthropods, vertebrates etc) all at the same time.

Chaos Theory to explain the beginning of life? Interesting.

I thin the Catholic Chruch's official position(guided evolution) seems quite sensible.

easygoing

Catalpa said:
Here is a Site I delve into a good bit.

If you don't know of it already its got a lot of information on the Catholic Religion and related matters.

Mostly I use it for checking out historical characters (Saints/Popes) but I'm sure it has a much broader range than that.

http://www.newadvent.org/
Good site Catalpa!

beardyboy

I have used that site many times - I also use traditional catholic sites as they tend to be direct in their answers sites by the SSPX tend to be good - one reason why I go to their Latin Masses.

sites like this

http://www.sspxseminary.org/apologetics/#teaching

The Analyser

In answer to the question, an unambiguous 'no'.

Coles

He's a site for all you weak-minded Jesus freaks to get your facts from so you can argue against truth and common sense. May God be with you.

beardyboy

thank you o strong minded benefactor

easygoing

Coles said:

He's a site for all you weak-minded Jesus freaks to get your facts from so you can argue against truth and common sense. May God be with you.
Why the venom?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies