• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is there a place for religion in modern politics?

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
I dunno, for a society to work you don't need some bearded man come down from a mountain to tell
us not to murder or steal.
Clearly we did, search history and without laws people lived in anarchy.

Regardless if you believe in a God or not, the idea that laws are based on his rule of "Thou shall not steal" has been the solid basis for laws all over world.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
The question you haven't asked is what is the relevance of one's personal spiritual beliefs when you are an elected politician? Especially at national level. Afaik there have been no politicians elected to the Dáil via a religious mandate in modern times.

If religion is to have any influence on politics, then a politician would need to highlight the fact that their policies and future actions are influenced by their particular religious beliefs. As I said, I haven't seen it in the modern era. Without such a mandate a politician would not be truly representing his/her flock as s/he would not know which of his voters are of a similar spiritual outlook.
All leadership of main political parties in Ireland have been staunch church goers, In the UK similar. In fact the only political leader to claim no belief in a God was Nick Clegg.

SideysGhost

Regardless if you believe in a God or not, the idea that laws are based on his rule of "Thou shall not steal" has been the solid basis for laws all over world.
This is Moron Level trolling. Illiterate, uneducated, juvenile horseshyte being posted merely to try and get a rise, not in any genuine interest in debate. Yer flat wrong on every single one of your assertions but you don't care. Welcome to ignore you clown.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
This is Moron Level trolling. Illiterate, uneducated, juvenile horseshyte being posted merely to try and get a rise, not in any genuine interest in debate. Yer flat wrong on every single one of your assertions but your don't care. Welcome to ignore you clown.
Charming, thanks for the input you clown.

Dadaist

Yes, but pretty much every society and civilization that ever existed considered stealing, murder, etc. as actions to be condemned. Such moral notions are not in any way exclusively Christian. In fact Christianity was quite late to this particular game.

There are two approaches to separation of church and state - the U.S. Where the state can't endow a particular religion but freedom to worship is protected or the French model loved by Irish secularists which is basically anti catholic but can't handle islamists.
You demonstrate complete ignorance of French secularism in this post.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Yes, but pretty much every society and civilization that ever existed considered stealing, murder, etc. as actions to be condemned. Such moral notions are not in any way exclusively Christian. In fact Christianity was quite late to this particular game.
The Ten commandments are not Christian laws, they are laws from the Old Testament which has a home in all three religions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

Dadaist

All leadership of main political parties in Ireland have been staunch church goers, In the UK similar. In fact the only political leader to claim no belief in a God was Nick Clegg.
Professing a belief is not the same as putting it to the electorate that your religious belief is going to influence your decisions once you are elected to office.

Hewson

So why do you separate yourself from me and "the world I subscribe to"?
I don't. As human beings we all share similar weaknesses, whether it be envy, pride, gluttony or any of the other pitfalls we're prone to falling prey to.

The task is to rise above it and relegate the ego to the bottom rung. How many wars were/are the end result of the dominance of pride in men?

Syria is one. Look at the ripples Assad's pride has caused, right to your own doorstep.

ruserious

The Ten commandments are not Christian laws, they are laws from the Old Testament which has a home in all three religions of Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Not stealing or murdering are ideas that develop naturally in groups tribes and society which need to develop trust to gain a competitive advantage.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Not stealing or murdering are ideas that develop naturally in groups tribes and society which need to develop trust to gain a competitive advantage.
I disagree, I would argue that a sense of this only became established form the ten commandments, before that the world was a lawless place.

Dadaist

And the ones relevant to politics have existed in societies and civilisations since day dot. Honour thy father and thy mother;Thou shalt not kill;Thou shalt not commit adultery; are not Christian morals, they are universal to humankind.

ruserious

I don't. As human beings we all share similar weaknesses, whether it be envy, pride, gluttony or any of the other pitfalls we're prone to falling prey to.

The task is to rise above it and relegate the ego to the bottom rung. How many wars were/are the end result of the dominance of pride in men?

Syria is one. Look at the ripples Assad's pride has caused, right to your own doorstep.
Yet religion has started and prolonged most wars in human history.

Dadaist

I disagree, I would argue that a sense of this only became established form the ten commandments, before that the world was a lawless place.
What? Now I know you are taking the piss. Either that or your grasp of pre-Christian history is nonexistent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies